Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autobody parts delay

Do you have trouble getting Autobody parts?

• Yes

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently was hit and my Tesla Approved body shop claimed that Tesla is so delayed to get parts they hang up on him. I reached out to my local dealer and they claim there was no delay and a California Autobody rep was to call me. It’s been over a week and nothing. Anyone having issues getting Autobody repair parts?

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Just heard from the California Rep you doesn’t deny they have issues but should get parts 5 business days from order. We will see.
Umm, I wouldn't get your hopes up and I want you to realize it will likely take weeks. I was told “It takes 3-5 business days for the orders to be processed" after being received. The parts order was placed on 3/29/18 by the body shop. The eta from Tesla for all parts to be delivered was 4/16/18. To this day -- two parts are still missing.

There are three shops in the DC (DMV) area that are certified. Two of them are a joke, one is awesome. They stopped working on Tesla's because of parts taking forever and customers were leaving bad reviews. I begged them to take my car and they did as long as I was cool about parts delivery with them. I'm totally cool with them, but I guess I need to reach out to Tesla and see what is up. Parts were order 4/26/2018. Who should I tweet to?

• Informative
There are three shops in the DC (DMV) area that are certified. Two of them are a joke, one is awesome. They stopped working on Tesla's because of parts taking forever and customers were leaving bad reviews. I begged them to take my car and they did as long as I was cool about parts delivery with them. I'm totally cool with them, but I guess I need to reach out to Tesla and see what is up. Parts were order 4/26/2018. Who should I tweet to?
I sent a message to their Twitter account this morning and received a response this afternoon. My parts (rear bumper cover and sensors) were ordered in March according to the body shop and still do not have a firm ship date. Good luck.

• Informative
Tesla has historically been slow delivering parts. When my car got messed up two and a half years ago, they told me six weeks, and I went ballistic, making three phone calls and three emails in an afternoon. Those were emails written in all caps, and phone calls where I got loud and irritated, which I seldom do. An hour or so later I got a call from the Tesla Parts people who operated the Western U.S. and said I would have my parts "tomorrow", which I knew wouldn't happen, but they did get them to me mostly in the next two to five days.

It was obvious to me that their parts department was in development and unorganized. They are still working on it, know it's a problem, and want to do better. But... a couple months ago I tried to get parts for my daughter's X, and it still took 3 weeks, though this time no screaming or nasty emails. They just cannot do any better yet, though I know they want to.

By the way, you can save a lot of money by going to a NON-Tesla authorized repair facility. They get parts just as quickly, have the manuals, and the work I have seen is as good, only it's about half the price. And I support Tesla, just think they're overpriced.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigNick
So far over 2 months to get parts for repair at “Tesla Authorized Repair Center”. I went to Twitter to see if i could get some attention. I will keep you posted.

You need to do more than Twitter. Get on the phone. Call Tesla. Ask to speak to the parts people. Call your local Tesla store, service center, your man who sold you the car, your rep. Ask them to get Tesla parts to call. Ask for email addresses. Email your local Service Center, store, Tesla Inc. Sit and think of who you can call. Spend several hours. Use CAPs. No texting. Make it permanent, and often. Maybe take pictures, write letters. Get a list of the parts your car needs from the repair shop and mail that.

See? You can be a real pain in the butt, and they'll want you to go away. But you'll get your parts.

There are many stories about Tesla being slow in delivering parts to body shops. It's annoying and a problem. My car was in the shop for 11 weeks waiting for parts from Tesla. It was a rear bumper and quarter panel. Those parts should be available instantly as they are always needed for the vast majority of collisions.

Reactions: KyleDay
We have been waiting for about a month for a new windshield. And during that time, what started as a small crack has quickly inched to be over a foot long. We were told that it would be in last week, but have heard nothing. The really bad part of this story is that the service center is 3 hours away. Husband is worried whether windshield will actually be in one piece when we get to Charlotte.

We were told that Safe Lite (?) could replace it, but we had issues with a lot of wind noise after they replaced the windshield on our other car.

We have been waiting for about a month for a new windshield. And during that time, what started as a small crack has quickly inched to be over a foot long. We were told that it would be in last week, but have heard nothing. The really bad part of this story is that the service center is 3 hours away. Husband is worried whether windshield will actually be in one piece when we get to Charlotte.

We were told that Safe Lite (?) could replace it, but we had issues with a lot of wind noise after they replaced the windshield on our other car.

I had mine replaced by Safelite, no real issues but... not sure if theres a markup or not.

Have been waiting for basic parts to repair my X for TWO months now. Disaster!
Certainly NOT a way to treat a buyer of a $100 000 car! Manager at Tesla could not do anything, neither did the main office!
Tesla, we are SOOO done with you!!! Never again!

Reactions: Barry
You need to do more than Twitter. Get on the phone. Call Tesla. Ask to speak to the parts people. Call your local Tesla store, service center, your man who sold you the car, your rep. Ask them to get Tesla parts to call. Ask for email addresses. Email your local Service Center, store, Tesla Inc. Sit and think of who you can call. Spend several hours. Use CAPs. No texting. Make it permanent, and often. Maybe take pictures, write letters. Get a list of the parts your car needs from the repair shop and mail that.

See? You can be a real pain in the butt, and they'll want you to go away. But you'll get your parts.

I did all that. My sales person, my division rep. Spoke to part department in California. Don't have hours to waste calling for something that should be automatic. One month plus and waiting. Should not happen to any customer, let alone one that spend $100,000+ on a car!

I did all that. My sales person, my division rep. Spoke to part department in California. Don't have hours to waste calling for something that should be automatic. One month plus and waiting. Should not happen to any customer, let alone one that spend $100,000+ on a car!

Lots of things shouldn't happen. People get cancer, go through divorce, have expensive surgeries. You have trouble getting parts. Does not matter that your car costs X amount.

I got parts for my car in a week. A few months ago I got parts for my daughter in three weeks, actually trying to not push too hard. You're already past that, but you know the problem: Tesla's a new company, with growing pains, and parts are often not in stock near you. No one is doing a personal vendetta against you.

When I needed parts for my car, the people I dealt with scoured three western states. But I have a reputation now, years later, of being a pushy SOB. Yeah, I guess I can be that way. Some people can't do that.

Or, understanding the problem, you can wait, which will take almost as long.

I just had my side mirror installed yesterday. I waited two months for a side mirror for my Model S. And this was installed by Tesla Service, they just took forever in getting the part in stock. Escalated it multiple times through multiple people. Nobody could give me an ETA. And then two months later BAM. Set up a appointment for the next day and they installed it.

Yeah, Tesla really needs to get their act together for replacement body parts. If my mirror took two months, can't imagine what some of you folks with large collisions are going through o_O