Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Hopefully this thread can become sticky and be a place for autocross discussion with the Tesla Model 3. My question - Has anyone seen any of the rules for the SCCA EV-X class? I have seen a site (can't find it right now of course) that suggested the PAX for EV-X was only slightly higher (I think 2-4 thousandths) over SS (where the car is classed). I have emailed the SCCA and have heard nothing about the EV-X class...Anyone know anything?

Are you happy to talk auto-x mods and tuning, beyond classing?
We don't have scca here, but run similar style courses. So, no modding concerns beyond what is fun for me. Meaning, I am going to add what makes the car fast regardless of class.
Track mode v2 settings?
Camber front/rear
Tires

I'm new to the Tesla Model 3 performance, but I believe I saw a thread where someone was sharing their auto-x mods. I'm going to auto-x this summer without any mods until I really get to know the car. My biggest concern is the responsiveness of the suspension, how much body roll, how quickly it can transition, and the quality of the brake pads for auto-x events. This is the first car I'll auto-x that is overpowered, but it is also AWD. Power oversteer won't be an option, but I'm assuming the go-fast pedal can be used for strategic positioning. The experimentation will be fun.

Reactions: Clover
I'm new to the Tesla Model 3 performance, but I believe I saw a thread where someone was sharing their auto-x mods. I'm going to auto-x this summer without any mods until I really get to know the car. My biggest concern is the responsiveness of the suspension, how much body roll, how quickly it can transition, and the quality of the brake pads for auto-x events. This is the first car I'll auto-x that is overpowered, but it is also AWD. Power oversteer won't be an option, but I'm assuming the go-fast pedal can be used for strategic positioning. The experimentation will be fun.
I typically don't worry to much about pads for auto-x. There is little sustained braking and the courses are usually very short. (1-2 minutes tops) ymmv

Reactions: Clover
I typically don't worry to much about pads for auto-x. There is little sustained braking and the courses are usually very short. (1-2 minutes tops) ymmv[/QUOTE

I did a pad comparison with my BMW M3 and found quite a performance range between pads specifically for auto-x. I was measuring cold brake pad performance since the brakes will be cold in the first few corners. For some pads, like my trackpads, cold braking performance was as low as 75% of running temp performance. My trackpads took too long to warm-up before they were effective autocrossing and found that stock BMW or cheap organic pads were the best for autocrossing and would save a few tenths of seconds. I would swap the streets pads out with the dust-generating organic pads when I put my auto-x tires on. Not saying I'll do that with the Tesla, but I've done crazier things prepping the car for auto-x. At least I don't have to worry about how much gas to have in the tank for optimal performance!

GLM

Are you happy to talk auto-x mods and tuning, beyond classing?
We don't have scca here, but run similar style courses. So, no modding concerns beyond what is fun for me. Meaning, I am going to add what makes the car fast regardless of class.
Track mode v2 settings?
Camber front/rear
Tires

Definitely hoping this can become an "Autox spot" -

I have a Model 3 Performance Stealth (smaller brakes, no "wing" and 10mm higher ride height). Bone stock right now but will start with the obviously necessary wheels/tires - My big question is whether I go with stock width 8.5" wheels with 255's or if I go with a wider wheel and get a 275. I compete for index in my local series so it is a big deal for me to figure out whether I run SS or EV-X.

Mods wise, coilovers sound great but that will keep me out of SS - I would love if we could get some Bilstein B6's released for this car. I think that would be a cheaper and pretty awesome alternative that would keep it in street class.

I need to get a test and tune soon so I can play with all the new track app 2 settings - should be fun!

I appreciate you sharing this - I didn't see anything on the index or the class rules though? I know SCCA released the rules for XS-A and XS-B (classes that were announced when they also announced EV-X) but I still haven't seen anything on EV-X.

EV-X doesn't apply to Autocross this year. It's a ProSolo class only right now. Your options really are SS or ASP.

SoloMatters

EV-X was announced as a supplemental class for standard solo, not just pro solo

Rules have not been released because SCCA doesnt care about EVs

You can also run in SM if you want, not just SS or ASP

SoloMatters

EV-X was announced as a supplemental class for standard solo, not just pro solo

Rules have not been released because SCCA doesnt care about EVs

You can also run in SM if you want, not just SS or ASP

Someone on FB reached out to the SCCA.
88057217_10218292702860641_8595188419334766592_o.jpg

This is pretty frustrating - Not sure why they would not open it up to Solo also. I can only see it gaining popularity though. Looks like it may be SS this year for me

The X classes are for exhibition. There is also ASP. When one of my cars got reclassified to run with the corvettes and the like I would run in the street prepared class because of the 3 nationally competitive drivers in the stock class who were duking it out each week. I at least had a chance for a trophy and actually won a few.

The X classes are for exhibition. There is also ASP. When one of my cars got reclassified to run with the corvettes and the like I would run in the street prepared class because of the 3 nationally competitive drivers in the stock class who were duking it out each week. I at least had a chance for a trophy and actually won a few.

I lobbied with the SCCA to put the M3 Stealth (my car) in AS/BS instead of the SS but they told me "thank you, have a nice day" - With that said, I know locally I'll have no issues in SS. I think at the Champ Tour level my car may have a chance - Nationals I know there is no way (even with my National-level co driver). Our recent Track app V2 adjustments will definitely help the car try to be competitive in SS, though I love the idea of it being in AS and competing with the C5Z.

I typically don't worry to much about pads for auto-x. There is little sustained braking and the courses are usually very short. (1-2 minutes tops) ymmv
My front rotors are pretty purple from 6 day. Well.m, happened pretty quick. I should look at my pads after this weekend...will put up vids in a few...the 3 is siiick! Dominated PAX in SS at every event so far.

Reactions: DrZoidberg
I lobbied with the SCCA to put the M3 Stealth (my car) in AS/BS instead of the SS but they told me "thank you, have a nice day" - With that said, I know locally I'll have no issues in SS. I think at the Champ Tour level my car may have a chance - Nationals I know there is no way (even with my National-level co driver). Our recent Track app V2 adjustments will definitely help the car try to be competitive in SS, though I love the idea of it being in AS and competing with the C5Z.
You’re funny ;).
BS? You’ve got to be kidding. Even AS. A 3P- is probably faster than a + because of the brakes. On 265 RE71 it’s pretty damn fast. I’m chasing our local AM tube frame subi on slicks. He got me by 0.7 on a 53s run :) and he is a good driver, I’m starting to wonder how good I’d be compared to any other Tesla drivers?

Reactions: SammichLover
anyone have input on V2 settings? Haven’t read many real opinions. Other settings are fun but I felt fastest driving in race mode as long as when stability or traction control actually got invasive I just kinda pumped the throttle gently near the limit and it seemed to hook up. Still learning AWD. Super fun! Finally figured out to just push it faster and turn into cones when you feel like you won’t make it. Now I understand how it felt so crazy riding in the old STIs

Also, recommended GoPro 8 settings, Pm? The Twisty bit is a trip on that setting

camber adjustments would be nice, I’m kinda considering suspension and 18” Hoosiers. But I’d need to be way faster to consider it, what class is that XP? ....our asphalt sucks too :rolleyes:
Took the P85 out in am and 3 in afternoon and was 5 seconds faster in the 3. But the S is on ‘Indy 500’ tires not RE’s

Last edited:
You’re funny ;).
BS? You’ve got to be kidding. Even AS. A 3P- is probably faster than a + because of the brakes. On 265 RE71 it’s pretty damn fast. I’m chasing our local AM tube frame subi on slicks. He got me by 0.7 on a 53s run :) and he is a good driver, I’m starting to wonder how good I’d be compared to any other Tesla drivers?

Looks like I should be able to get out in June potentially to start...I have had to rely on a lot of iracing to keep my reflexes up. I went with 255's on 18's.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial