Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First race in EVX form went very well, as I was able to get FTD and FTDI. The course is a slalom-heavy, high-speed asphalt course. The suspension and alignment changes have transformed the car! The car behaves much more neutral with the front end really digging in much better. I felt like it was actually fighting the pavement to keep the car turning.

Only negative from the day is that I chewed through a wheel speed sensor - MPP's warnings on the install instructions AND the comments on this forum are not to be taken lightly...MAKE SURE IT DOESNT HIT THE TIRE (luckily I was done going fast when it decided to die)

Luckily someone saw a pic of mine in my install pics and told me to move it outta the way asap. I zip tied it back

1629159801766.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood
Luckily someone saw a pic of mine in my install pics and told me to move it outta the way asap. I zip tied it back

View attachment 697431
I can't stress enough that people should see this as a PSA lol.

That is what I was thinking of doing (and will do!). I will say, if anyone wants a true purist driving experience, having a wheel speed sensor go out really helps. With no power steering or anything else, the car feels very analog. All it needs is a manual transmission. ha.

So I knew to bend the bracket as well… and when we took the car apart I realized I didn’t have brackets. Seems to be one of those Tesla things where you get whatever parts Home Depot up the street had in stock.

View attachment 697655
I didn't have bracket either - I had some thoughts about a neat little shield/guard that could be formed to thread into one of the holes to keep the wire safe

View attachment 697735Woah I didn’t know Tesla did away with the bracket. Cost reduction? They still drilled the alignment hole, so that seems strange.
I work in manufacturing so I'm around this kind of stuff a lot....The plastic push clip vs. a bolt and metal bracket, and the time to sub-assemble it was a good cost savings and quality improvement probably. I like the plastic push clips because of the weight savings (kidding!)

Reactions: Lindenwood
Hey folks, as I wait for my Model 3 to come in, I'm researching PPF and ceramic coating... what have you guys decided to do to protect your paint? I've always autocrossed old cars and never really cared how they looked, but I don't want this new car wearing cone marks like its predecessors, lol.

Hey folks, as I wait for my Model 3 to come in, I'm researching PPF and ceramic coating... what have you guys decided to do to protect your paint? I've always autocrossed old cars and never really cared how they looked, but I don't want this new car wearing cone marks like its predecessors, lol.
I haven't used anything - I just keep it washed and waxed (with that said, I do kind of wish I did a clear vinyl wrap on the front because I have a small ding from a stone hitting the car while on the road - not autox).

Everything in front of the doors is wrapped in XPEL and then the bottoms of my doors, rockers and right behind the rear tires are wrapped as well. I have lots of cone transfers to the film that just peel off. Someone also wrecked an electric scooter into my rocker in the pits at an event and left a nice mark in the ppf but no damage to the actual car.