Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've auto-x'd casually in the past and would like to understand the concerns w/ classing? Unless I have aspirations to become a champion (a lot of time and $), I really don't care where they put me as long as I can get a good number of runs in and have fun. Are there other issues beyond this that I'm missing? Seems to be a pretty popular gripe w/ SCCA etc.

I've auto-x'd casually in the past and would like to understand the concerns w/ classing? Unless I have aspirations to become a champion (a lot of time and $), I really don't care where they put me as long as I can get a good number of runs in and have fun. Are there other issues beyond this that I'm missing? Seems to be a pretty popular gripe w/ SCCA etc.
Nah, it’s all mostly just fun around here but some people like to be competitive so if cars are chased right and drivers are driving the hell out of their cars...smoothly... the PAX points get pretty close even if the cars are pretty different as long as the course is decent for all too, not just Miata’s ;) but the 3 smokes Miata’s, P85 had some size issues

Greetings! I have been racing my Tesla Model 3 Stealth in autocross for the past two seasons in Super Street. I’ve had a blast both on the track and in the grid, answering questions and educating people on the idea that “yes, EV’s can go fast”.

I have competed with National-level competitors in a couple of champ tours and definitely found the limitations of the Model 3 in Super Street; camber and tires.

Rather than creating a new one, I thought I’d resurrect this thread to highlight the EVolution my car will be going through – The move to EVX. I will keep those who are interested up to date on the performance gains I get through the modifications I make. Numerous people have done an amazing job of giving detailed installation videos/pictures, etc. – I am not going to reiterate the same information. I am hoping to share what I learn and let you know how well it works and learn from your experiences. I’ll also be sharing results – for better or worse! Finally, I’d love for this to be a place to discuss the EVX class and class prep in general.

My initial thoughts on moving to EVX:

Strengths:

• The modifications we are allowed will transform the car
  • The car will be much more fun to drive at the limit on course
  • It will highlight just how capable EV’s can be even more to the skeptics
Concerns:

• How modifications will impact the “daily driver” nature of the car
  • I am the only EVX car in my region for now – Going from racing in a class with people to racing for top Index / Raw Time only. Hopefully this changes with the growing interest I see.
My Car:

Super Street spec

(All stock minus the following)

• Enkei TS-V 18x8.5
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 265/40/18 – These tires have held up remarkably well to limited camber. They may be 9/10ths the grip of an RE71 or Yokohama (okay maybe 8/10 there), but they work well on this car.
  • Unplugged Performance Street class-legal struts

EVX Spec

• MPP Performance Coilovers LINK
  • MPP Rear Camber Arms LINK
  • MPP Front Upper Control Arm LINK
  • Wheels TBD – Will be running stock size wheels for a short period before I go with big rubber.
With MPP’s updated FUCA, I am at -3.3 in the front and I’m running -2.5 in the back. 0 toe on all four corners as a starting point. The car feels like a race car around town (even on the stock Michelins). First race in EVX trim will be this Sunday.

Greetings! I have been racing my Tesla Model 3 Stealth in autocross for the past two seasons in Super Street. I’ve had a blast both on the track and in the grid, answering questions and educating people on the idea that “yes, EV’s can go fast”.

I have competed with National-level competitors in a couple of champ tours and definitely found the limitations of the Model 3 in Super Street; camber and tires.

Rather than creating a new one, I thought I’d resurrect this thread to highlight the EVolution my car will be going through – The move to EVX. I will keep those who are interested up to date on the performance gains I get through the modifications I make. Numerous people have done an amazing job of giving detailed installation videos/pictures, etc. – I am not going to reiterate the same information. I am hoping to share what I learn and let you know how well it works and learn from your experiences. I’ll also be sharing results – for better or worse! Finally, I’d love for this to be a place to discuss the EVX class and class prep in general.

My initial thoughts on moving to EVX:

Strengths:

• The modifications we are allowed will transform the car
  • The car will be much more fun to drive at the limit on course
  • It will highlight just how capable EV’s can be even more to the skeptics
Concerns:

• How modifications will impact the “daily driver” nature of the car
  • I am the only EVX car in my region for now – Going from racing in a class with people to racing for top Index / Raw Time only. Hopefully this changes with the growing interest I see.
My Car:

Super Street spec

(All stock minus the following)

• Enkei TS-V 18x8.5
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 265/40/18 – These tires have held up remarkably well to limited camber. They may be 9/10ths the grip of an RE71 or Yokohama (okay maybe 8/10 there), but they work well on this car.
  • Unplugged Performance Street class-legal struts

EVX Spec

• MPP Performance Coilovers LINK
  • MPP Rear Camber Arms LINK
  • MPP Front Upper Control Arm LINK
  • Wheels TBD – Will be running stock size wheels for a short period before I go with big rubber.
With MPP’s updated FUCA, I am at -3.3 in the front and I’m running -2.5 in the back. 0 toe on all four corners as a starting point. The car feels like a race car around town (even on the stock Michelins). First race in EVX trim will be this Sunday.
I'm excited to hear your results. I've also switched from super street to EVX this year and am feeling the same pros/cons. The switch has bumped me from top 5-15 PAX/Raw to top 5 PAX/Raw in every local event.

Were you able to get -3.3 degrees front camber with only the coilovers and MPP FUCA? Are they the new MPP FUCAs (July 2021+)? I have MPP FUCA at stock ride height now and only got -2 degrees camber with no shims.

You have the same brakes as me, so I'm curious how yours hold up. With the wider tires, I think they do a lot more work. I used SRF fluid and Carbotech AX6 brake pads initially. I know most people say the brakes are fine for "slow speed" autocross, but the rotors were turning blue every event and I was bleeding my brakes to keep them solid more often than I would like. I upgraded to the MPP rotors and while the outside edge will sometimes turn blue, I haven't had a squishy pedal since the swap.

I'm excited to hear your results. I've also switched from super street to EVX this year and am feeling the same pros/cons. The switch has bumped me from top 5-15 PAX/Raw to top 5 PAX/Raw in every local event.

Were you able to get -3.3 degrees front camber with only the coilovers and MPP FUCA? Are they the new MPP FUCAs (July 2021+)? I have MPP FUCA at stock ride height now and only got -2 degrees camber with no shims.

You have the same brakes as me, so I'm curious how yours hold up. With the wider tires, I think they do a lot more work. I used SRF fluid and Carbotech AX6 brake pads initially. I know most people say the brakes are fine for "slow speed" autocross, but the rotors were turning blue every event and I was bleeding my brakes to keep them solid more often than I would like. I upgraded to the MPP rotors and while the outside edge will sometimes turn blue, I haven't had a squishy pedal since the swap.
So ironically, I was able to get my first FTDI and was 2nd on RAW (missed by less than 2 tenths) at my farewell SS event a couple of weeks ago (we race on fast airport concrete)...Hopefully I'll see similar improvements with EVX. I am going to do some analysis once I get a few EVX results in on the % gains, etc.

Regarding my camber - You are correct, I am on the MPP July-updated FUCA arms with no shims and the MPP coilovers. My ride height is ~115mm from the battery.

My brakes are a squishy mess right now ha! I am on stock pads, stock rotors, and they are a very pretty blue color :). Almost every event I do has enough heavy braking where they get very hot and blue (it doesn't take a lot). I think increased grip from bigger tires is definitely going to exacerbate this. I think the MPP brace will help with feel (I'm used to Porsche brakes) and MPP rotors/pads will definitely be in the future plans. I haven't had any "fade" at this point or anything where it feels like there is any safety concern though. One thing I would be curious about is how much they contribute to heat soak of the wheel/tire. In my last event, I started spraying my tires after the first run to keep things in check and it seemed to really help.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Welcome to the EV-X fun :)

I saw the new FUCAs but don't think its worth swapping at this point for the minimal gain in camber. My plans for next season are the front lower control arm bushings & bushing inserts as well as the rear camber/toe arms. Currently on 265/35/19 RE71R and 19x10 wheels, since the RE71R are extinct I need to figure out my direction for next season currently leaning 660's. Our second half of this season kicks off next month, 5 races left and I am in the hunt for driver of the year.

Welcome to the EV-X fun :)

I saw the new FUCAs but don't think its worth swapping at this point for the minimal gain in camber. My plans for next season are the front lower control arm bushings & bushing inserts as well as the rear camber/toe arms. Currently on 265/35/19 RE71R and 19x10 wheels, since the RE71R are extinct I need to figure out my direction for next season currently leaning 660's. Our second half of this season kicks off next month, 5 races left and I am in the hunt for driver of the year.
I've heard good things about the 660's but in the 18" I don't see some sizes that are appealing (19" may be better!). If you are looking for good wear (I'm running like 90% of the time on abrasive concrete), the Goodyear's have worn really well. I'm hoping Bridgestone has their RE71 replacement released sometime late this year or in the winter. If they do, grab them fast!

I'm running EV-X legal too. KW coilovers, MPP FUCA, rear camber arms, 265 RE-71's, eibach sways.
I generally set FTD raw at my AutoX- against GT3's, fully striped/supercharged S2000's and M3's, even against some odd things like karts, all on Hoosiers.

I can only get about -2.3° out of my 2019 MPP FUCA's, but that seems fine for the RE71's. I actually run the smallest shim- when I took them all out I swear I ran slower and the car had less grip.

For AutoX, I have found the stock brakes just fine. Stock pads, stock rotors, etc. Yep, they turn blue easily, but they never fade on 70 second courses with 3 runs back to back, and 90 MPH top speeds. I find the pedal remarkably firm and consistent. I've let some of the local instructors and fast guys run my car, and they have all commented at how good the brakes are and how it took them some time to gain confidence in them as they didn't expect it. My pads probably have 150+ runs on them so far and are about 2/3 used up. I'm going to try the RB XT910's when they're done because I want a street OK pad, and I'm cheap ;)

The brakes do pump a ton of heat back into the tires- after 3 quick runs, you cannot touch the wheels with bare hands, and tire pressures climb over the next hour.

The real fun of a Model 3 is when it rains- Run your stock MPS4's, and nobody can touch you. I've run FTD by 5+ seconds in the wet.

My real learning (and those of everyone that has driven it) is that you drive a Model 3 differently- it's a point and shoot car. You have to learn to use the acceleration and braking. Get the turn done, and on the power ASAP, even if you have to go through the corner slower. I actually accelerate and brake between slalom cones. Everyone that rides with me says "well, you could be smoother" and then they drive smooth and are a second slower. By the end of the day, they're driving like maniacs too, and going faster. Carrying speed through corners where your turns are wider and you can't get on the power sooner is just hurting you because you can accelerate so fast. Shortest path, longest time on accelerator wins.

Plus, look at your G-meter when you're done. If it's not almost a perfect circle at around 1.2-1.4G's, minus a flat spot on the bottom where you can only accel about 0.9G, then you've got some performance left in the car that you haven't used. I've noticed in new drivers that their traction circles look more like a + than an O, only using turning or braking.

Last edited:
I'm running EV-X legal too. KW coilovers, MPP FUCA, rear camber arms, 265 RE-71's, eibach sways.
I generally set FTD raw at my AutoX- against GT3's, fully striped/supercharged S2000's and M3's, even against some odd things like karts, all on Hoosiers.

I can only get about -2.3° out of my 2019 MPP FUCA's, but that seems fine for the RE71's. I actually run the smallest shim- when I took them all out I swear I ran slower and the car had less grip.

For AutoX, I have found the stock brakes just fine. Stock pads, stock rotors, etc. Yep, they turn blue easily, but they never fade on 70 second courses with 3 runs back to back, and 90 MPH top speeds. I find the pedal remarkably firm and consistent. I've let some of the local instructors and fast guys run my car, and they have all commented at how good the brakes are and how it took them some time to gain confidence in them as they didn't expect it. My pads probably have 150+ runs on them so far and are about 2/3 used up. I'm going to try the RB XT910's when they're done because I want a street OK pad, and I'm cheap ;)

The brakes do pump a ton of heat back into the tires- after 3 quick runs, you cannot touch the wheels with bare hands, and tire pressures climb over the next hour.

The real fun of a Model 3 is when it rains- Run your stock MPS4's, and nobody can touch you. I've run FTD by 5+ seconds in the wet.

My real learning (and those of everyone that has driven it) is that you drive a Model 3 differently- it's a point and shoot car. You have to learn to use the acceleration and braking. Get the turn done, and on the power ASAP, even if you have to go through the corner slower. I actually accelerate and brake between slalom cones. Everyone that rides with me says "well, you could be smoother" and then they drive smooth and are a second slower. By the end of the day, they're driving like maniacs too, and going faster. Carrying speed through corners where your turns are wider and you can't get on the power sooner is just hurting you because you can accelerate so fast. Shortest path, longest time on accelerator wins.

Plus, look at your G-meter when you're done. If it's not almost a perfect circle at around 1.2-1.4G's, minus a flat spot on the bottom where you can only accel about 0.9G, then you've got some performance left in the car that you haven't used. I've noticed in new drivers that their traction circles look more like a + than an O, only using turning or braking.
Are you in a Performance + or -?

"+" I guess? The one with the larger brakes and 20" wheels from the factory. Late 2018 build.
Those are some great results- good work! Do you run on asphalt or concrete?

Side bar - I know there are not large EVX turnouts at any given location (that I have heard yet), but I think that this class would have a good showing at Nationals. I am hoping that they take it out of provisional status and let it run at Nats in 22'.

Are any of you signed up for solo nationals in Lincoln?

I'm going for the first time. I just want to experience it and we have a good group going from my region. ASP on RE71r won't be competitive, but I think that's the financially responsible decision haha.

I've heard good things about the 660's but in the 18" I don't see some sizes that are appealing (19" may be better!). If you are looking for good wear (I'm running like 90% of the time on abrasive concrete), the Goodyear's have worn really well. I'm hoping Bridgestone has their RE71 replacement released sometime late this year or in the winter. If they do, grab them fast!

Yeah I went from 18's to 19's just to get in on the 265/35/19 selection since that seems to be the big Type R size.

This all is good advice. It took me a solid season to stop trying to drive it like my Corvette (which was very much point and shoot but could also turn). I also have no issues with my stock brakes but I have the Performance brakes. A buddy that autox's his LR AWD cooked his brakes all the time until he went to the MPP 2 pc rotors.

I also end up dancing between the brake and throttle in slaloms and I haven't found a faster way through in this car. I have 3 FTD's and a Codriver took 1 FTD in my car out of the first 6 events so it seems to be working.

We still haven't had a solid rain event, I got to make a couple of runs in the wet one event when weather moved in at the end of the day and I was like 2 tenths off my fastest dry run so I know this car will be hilariously fast.

Those are some great results- good work! Do you run on asphalt or concrete?

Side bar - I know there are not large EVX turnouts at any given location (that I have heard yet), but I think that this class would have a good showing at Nationals. I am hoping that they take it out of provisional status and let it run at Nats in 22'.

Considering CAM is still treated as outsiders I wouldn't expect EV-X to be treated any better especially since the SCCA has already proven they hate us. :p

There are 2 local AutoX groups, the SCCA club and the independent club I run with and our independent club generally has 3-4 Model 3's at every event running EV-X. Most are blue ;)

unnamed (4).jpg

I'm going for the first time. I just want to experience it and we have a good group going from my region. ASP on RE71r won't be competitive, but I think that's the financially responsible decision haha.

Nope. I'm still on a SCCA boycott. I might get over it next year.... we'll see lol.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Good for you and good luck! I've never gone to Nats but have done some Champ Tours which are really fun. Try to find some A7's to "borrow"! :)

Yeah I went from 18's to 19's just to get in on the 265/35/19 selection since that seems to be the big Type R size.

This all is good advice. It took me a solid season to stop trying to drive it like my Corvette (which was very much point and shoot but could also turn). I also have no issues with my stock brakes but I have the Performance brakes. A buddy that autox's his LR AWD cooked his brakes all the time until he went to the MPP 2 pc rotors.

I also end up dancing between the brake and throttle in slaloms and I haven't found a faster way through in this car. I have 3 FTD's and a Codriver took 1 FTD in my car out of the first 6 events so it seems to be working.

We still haven't had a solid rain event, I got to make a couple of runs in the wet one event when weather moved in at the end of the day and I was like 2 tenths off my fastest dry run so I know this car will be hilariously fast.

Considering CAM is still treated as outsiders I wouldn't expect EV-X to be treated any better especially since the SCCA has already proven they hate us. :p

There are 2 local AutoX groups, the SCCA club and the independent club I run with and our independent club generally has 3-4 Model 3's at every event running EV-X. Most are blue ;)

View attachment 695166

Nope. I'm still on a SCCA boycott. I might get over it next year.... we'll see lol.
That is a great turnout!

Maybe we can convince the SCCA to put the 3' in STU (I joke about that locally and people get mad). I've also had humorous discussions with the SCCA officials about putting us in CAM-C..I mean we are an American 4dr right?

Do you run on asphalt or concrete?
Asphalt.
Try to find some A7's to "borrow"! :)
I actually did get to borrow some A7's from someone recently, and I was surprised how little difference they made vs the RE71's. Now my RE71's are ooollldd, and these Hoosiers were 18+ months old too with plenty of heat cycles. Maybe I just couldn't adjust to them in a single day, or didn't have the setup right for them, but I sure didn't gain more than 0.5 seconds, so they're not the end all, be all of being competitive.

I have run 3 autox events in the EV class and have been blown away by this cars performance. 2021 performance all stock except 18x9.5 Konig wheels with yoko A052 275-40-18. Tires are wearing super fast but they are sticky!

Second in Raw at the last event
Nice work - you probably had Marcus wishing he was in the Model 3 still! (it will be fun to see how he does at Nats with that...BS is going to be a showdown)

Asphalt.

I actually did get to borrow some A7's from someone recently, and I was surprised how little difference they made vs the RE71's. Now my RE71's are ooollldd, and these Hoosiers were 18+ months old too with plenty of heat cycles. Maybe I just couldn't adjust to them in a single day, or didn't have the setup right for them, but I sure didn't gain more than 0.5 seconds, so they're not the end all, be all of being competitive.
I think the time delta probably increases with the r-comp/race tire vs. street tire on concrete more than asphalt (I've heard this anyway) but that is interesting to hear. With that said, some of the 200tw tires out there are really really good.