Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test fit my 19x9.5 +35 Konig Ampliform last night. I know that these should be plug and play with my new 275-35-19 Rivals, once I install my FUCAs and rear camber arms, but the wheel packaging said "Test fit before mounting tires", and I thought that's probably a good idea. Just thought I'd post pics for anyone who is interested. Suspension is totally stock right now, and looks like the wheel pokes out a tiny bit in front. There's almost a pinky of room between the rim and the upright. Excited to get all of this on the car and get out to a HPDE, and an autocross!

2022-08-22 20.10.53.jpg
2022-08-22 19.56.38.jpg
2022-08-22 19.55.22.jpg
2022-08-22 19.53.50.jpg

Fastest raw time of the day by over 1s (ahead of a turbo Miata), but 2nd in PAX behind a Ford Fiesta ST.

View attachment 841087View attachment 841086View attachment 841088View attachment 841089

I am very happy that the UP rear bar at full stiff provides a noticeable reduction in body roll but doesn’t change overall handling balance so significantly to require any of the bandaids I was worried I’d need. Now I can still continue tweaking damping, camber, and toe within normal ranges to get more or less rotation, but am happy with the body control I am getting between the bar and MPP comfort dampers.

Hi, Very interested in your progress as I am using MPP and UP rear sway bar. 285.35.20 all round. I am new to autocross did rallying and track days in the UK. Autocross looks technically interesting. I have a MYP any thoughts on MMP party box v Ingenext Ryzen Module? Thanks in advance

@Yperformance - The best car to autocross is the one you have. Go try it and just do it, don't worry about other upgrades until you're sure you like it. Upgrade the car when it starts getting in your way.

I've had people show up in Model 3's at AutoX and immediately throw on track mode and go drive hard. They basically always overdrive the car. As any good driver will say, slow is fast. Then when they ask what track mode settings I used to go so fast, I set the car to chill mode and go run a time faster than theirs. I've actually convinced a few people to drive on chill for a while until they run consistent times, and it's always improved their times. (this all applies to brand new drivers of course- eventually, things like track mode do help with ultimate lap times).

Point being, just go drive what you have and have fun, and don't worry about the lack of track mode,

"Point being, just go drive what you have and have fun"
This is so important. If you catch yourself saying "I will do another autocross or track day after I do X modification" just go anyways and get some seat time! Unless you race your car so often that you're bored and don't want to run it again without modifications, then I suppose that's alright ;)

Fall autocross season started back yesterday.

Shitty course but that’s a topic for another day.

Had a fantastic battle with Eric in his 2019 GT3 over FTD. He was sitting #1 with a 26.932 and on my 5/6th run I ran a 26.716. He answered back with a 26.621 on his 5th run and I managed to get within 0.047 on my last run with a 26.668. With nothing to lose on his last he managed to pull off a 26.572. Lots of fun trading shots at the end.

I let him drive the Tesla in fun runs as he has a LR AWD as a daily, he ran a 27.0xx and said he didn’t expect it to actually be fun.

He threw me the keys to the GT3 and told me to take it for a couple runs. That car loves to rotate, managed a 27.0xx on my second run, a ton of fun.

1662993038843.png

Test fit my 19x9.5 +35 Konig Ampliform last night. I know that these should be plug and play with my new 275-35-19 Rivals, once I install my FUCAs and rear camber arms, but the wheel packaging said "Test fit before mounting tires", and I thought that's probably a good idea. Just thought I'd post pics for anyone who is interested. Suspension is totally stock right now, and looks like the wheel pokes out a tiny bit in front. There's almost a pinky of room between the rim and the upright. Excited to get all of this on the car and get out to a HPDE, and an autocross!

View attachment 844177View attachment 844178View attachment 844179View attachment 844180
Followup post: Mounted my wheels and tires this past weekend. 19"x9.5"+35 wheels, 275/35/19 BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5. Everything I'd read said this should have been plug and play. Ends up the front tires hit the knuckle. Picture:

5mm spacers on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_2074.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_2074.HEIC.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 49
Looks like +30 wheels would have been a better fit.
How much extra camber did you dial in? There were reports of 275-wide tires on +35 wheel rubbing on the fender with OEM camber/shocks. Adding 5mm spacer will exacerbate the issue, so you probably need >2.0 degrees for an appropriate safety margin, unless you want to pull OEM shock/springs apart and run the suspension through full travel with the spring/bumpstop removed.
5mm spacers on the way.
Or upgrade to aftermarket rotors for a 100% cooler look at 50x the cost ;)
P.S. I'd try the 3mm spacer too, for an extra 1 turn of the lug nuts.

How much extra camber did you dial in? There were reports of 275-wide tires on +35 wheel rubbing on the fender with OEM camber/shocks. Adding 5mm spacer will exacerbate the issue, so you probably need >2.0 degrees for an appropriate safety margin, unless you want to pull OEM shock/springs apart and run the suspension through full travel with the spring/bumpstop removed.

Or upgrade to aftermarket rotors for a 100% cooler look at 50x the cost ;)
P.S. I'd try the 3mm spacer too, for an extra 1 turn of the lug nuts.
3.0 degrees of camber on MPP FUCA, so I'm good there.

Tires are touching the knuckle at rest, so I'm going with 5mm to make sure I don't hit under hard cornering.

Good call. We usually like to see around 5mm minimum to make sure it doesn't touch when the tire/wheel/wheel bearing is deflecting.
When I've run 2-3mm static clearance, I got a bit of polish on the raised cast in "grid" on my uprights when actually driving hard. It was minor and I'd drive it like that forever, but I wouldn't want to run less. You do get some flex.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
@MountainPass do you guys have any hard data on this deflection?
I run my tires pretty tight to my upright, and I do have plenty of rubber on my upright (that I clean regularly), but I don't think there's any wear/rubbing on my tires from this. So, I think the rubber on the upright is the what my tires collect from the road and then some of it gets thrown to the upright.

Speaking of, what parts are allowed in EV-X?
Can you do any/all of the control arms? I guess so or nobody would have any negative camber and we would all be useless.
For the fronts you can do any FUCA and stay compliant with EV-X/ASP rules (as long as you don't modify the OEM bracket?)
For the rear, technically you're only allowed to modify either lower or upper arm for camber. What that means for installing both a camber and a toe linkage on a multi-link suspension is not clear. But most EVX people probably have both installed.

3.0 degrees of camber on MPP FUCA, so I'm good there.

Tires are touching the knuckle at rest, so I'm going with 5mm to make sure I don't hit under hard cornering.
Just thought I'd follow up for anyone who is interested. Wheels and tires all mounted and good now.

To recap, 19"x9.5"+35 Konig Ampliforms, with 275/35/19 BFG Rival S 1.5. Pictures of tire hitting knuckle:

2022-09-17 13.01.26.jpg
2022-09-19 21.07.49.jpg

Now mounted with 5mm wheel spacers:

2022-09-19 21.18.18.jpg

End result. MPP FUCA with -3 deg camber in front, and MPP Rear Camber Arms with -2 deg camber rear. First track day this weekend, then hopefully first autocross a week later!!:

2022-09-20 10.14.07.jpg
2022-09-20 10.14.39.jpg
2022-09-20 10.15.03.jpg
2022-09-20 10.15.20.jpg
2022-09-20 10.16.06.jpg