Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same experience.
-2.0 on MPP V1 FUCA at stock height
-2.4 after lowering to ~370mm hub to fender
-2.9 after switching to MPP V2 FUCA and lowering to ~358mm hub to fender

Last Sunday, I lost regen in the middle of a run again. Happened all the time last year and only rarely this year. That run ended up being my fastest time of the the day. Probably because it forced me to carry more speed into corners & through slaloms. I unintentionally learned another thing to work on.

1663793872110.png

Reactions: Lindenwood
Last Sunday, I lost regen in the middle of a run again. Happened all the time last year and only rarely this year. That run ended up being my fastest time of the the day. Probably because it forced me to carry more speed into corners & through slaloms. I unintentionally learned another thing to work on.
Do you drop just regen, or TC/ABS also?
You know you can just go in track mode and turn off regen if it makes you faster ;)

So, I decided to try to go stiffer on springs, and ordered some 10k/13k setup from Redwood for Ohlins, up from the 8k/11k 'sport' setup. Couldn't immediately mount the fronts due to some revisions by RW, and ended up running today with 8k/13k setup. And I kinda liked it. A pretty sparse field in terms of competitive drivers today, so hard to gauge speed, but the feel was pretty nice.

I guess it would be kinda scary at HPDE speeds w/o a wing, but for autox it was actually pretty comfortable.
No real 'oh *sugar*' moment, except from when I decided to test my diy tire blankets just on the front axle.

I guess I gotta figure out what adjustable rear sway bar would yield similar balance with 10k/13k springs.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Event 6 was on Sunday. Pretty disappointed in my driving, I drove like *sugar* (watch video till end) and was fighting the car all day. I blame lack of sleep from having a 7 week old at home. Still ended up 5th in raw, can’t be too sad about getting raw timed by this years AS national champion.

7606CFEC-AA35-4B8E-BFE8-433411842C26.jpeg

Event 6 was on Sunday. Pretty disappointed in my driving, I drove like *sugar* (watch video till end) and was fighting the car all day. I blame lack of sleep from having a 7 week old at home. Still ended up 5th in raw, can’t be too sad about getting raw timed by this years AS national champion.

View attachment 857587
How are you running XSA? All EVs are excluded:

I can almost see the response now…

“Thank you for your input”
Did you ever work on an AC (Action Committee)? I did, for 5 years. It is a pain the in a55...

I removed the big unplugged front bar, and the car actually worked better, so much I got my first local SS win. Kinda hollow, as most of the heavy hitters were not there because they were still heading home after nationals...

I am going to write a letter to suggest AS, because putting the P in SS basically buried the car.

Did you ever work on an AC (Action Committee)? I did, for 5 years. It is a pain the in a55...

I removed the big unplugged front bar, and the car actually worked better, so much I got my first local SS win. Kinda hollow, as most of the heavy hitters were not there because they were still heading home after nationals...

I am going to write a letter to suggest AS, because putting the P in SS basically buried the car.
That exact quote is used so much it’s becoming a meme. A buddies plate….

DC5B4F44-2C0B-44BB-8328-C447907051AF.jpeg

In 2022, SS ran 124.976 at nationals. AS ran 125.785. BS ran 128.187
In 2021, SS ran 112.014, AS 114.039, BS 115.687
In 2019, SS ran 129.621, AS 129.553, BS 132.545 (and it was a M3P driven by a top BS driver).

The car will be buried in AS too. It's a BS car when stock. Plus, it makes more sense against Supras and M2's than C6 Z06's and Caymans.
It's an SS/STU PAX car when in full EV-X trim.

Write a letter, I did last week to try and get Tesla in XA. Too many things you cant do in EVX like rear lower control arm if you have an upper camber arm.
Why not request that EV allow two arms to be replaced? One that controls camber, one that controls toe? They seem to have not considered the need for wider toe adjustment once camber is adjusted. I can see the point of only one camber arm, replacing a ton of rear components is getting expensive, and for what?

You really think the mods XA allows would have any chance of getting the car up to an 0.842 PAX when it looks like it's not even a 0.835 in full EV trim?

Write a letter, I did last week to try and get Tesla in XA. Too many things you cant do in EVX like rear lower control arm if you have an upper camber arm. Or any kind of body cosmetics that could be construed as aero.

Can submit one here - http://crbscca.com/
Thanks. I'm not the most eloquent but its something.

"Can we unbury the model 3 now? It is far from a SS car. The "problem" is in my opinion easier to drive fast than just about anything else due to its traction/stability control abilities. So people are butt hurt that someone with less skill can beat them just because of a car, when in reality it should just fuel you to get better. There is always a better car, but as we see often at nationals it comes down to driver skill and occasionally weather or course design. Is it not bad enough that I already need to wake up an hour earlier to hit the supercharger on the way to my venue? Ok that is my problem but still with EV-x not kicking it off like I hoped I think the model 3 needs a competitive location in street for marketing reasons, while EV isn't the end all be all it is becoming a large automotive shift. It seems like embracing EVs would be advantageous for the SCCA.

Change of category: EV-x should be able to do 2 rear control arms as one is for toe and one is for camber. "

Why not request that EV allow two arms to be replaced? One that controls camber, one that controls toe? They seem to have not considered the need for wider toe adjustment once camber is adjusted. I can see the point of only one camber arm, replacing a ton of rear components is getting expensive, and for what?

You really think the mods XA allows would have any chance of getting the car up to an 0.842 PAX when it looks like it's not even a 0.835 in full EV trim?

Its the lower control arm that many will need to change to run a standard race spring. Then the toe and camber arms. But also many more things that are blocked in EVX.

• Fender Rolling - Not just rolled flat but pulled. You can get another 10-20mm of tire with a good pull without damaging the paint on most cars.
  • Diff Changes - The 2nd biggest limitation of the tesla is lack of diffs (first being weight). No electronic wizardry in the world will fix an inability to direct power.
  • No electronic control changes - Party box for example. The LR without TrackMode is pretty much useless and the whole of EVX is pretty much 1 car right now.
  • Aero
  • Cross computability with other "run what you brung but on 200tw" series that are becoming more and more popular.
  • Fancy billet suspension parts - Something Im working on this winter
I also still disagree that the EVX pax is too hard. In small lots, its tough with its size and weight. But larger open course like Crows or Packwood, I think a 100% car (what the pax is based on) would crush.

As for if it would be competitive in XA, nope. Having one of the fastest XA cars in the country (when I put street tires on), I can certainly say the Model 3 is hard pressed to keep up. But, that also says there's no reason it shouldn't be allowed in the class.

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
I also still disagree that the EVX pax is too hard. In small lots, its tough with its size and weight. But larger open course like Crows or Packwood, I think a 100% car (what the pax is based on) would crush.
Meanwhile, on the other thread:
The problem for me personally is the course design. My local events have shorter courses with tight corners where the M3P can make use of the insta torque. The longer courses of the national tour, for me, don't offer the same advantages. I went to the red hills national tour stop in south Georgia this year and got spanked. But hey, I was first in EVX, and last. Lol

It's interesting how people have very different opinions of where an EV-X prepped M3P does best. I'm personally in the middle- the car needs a not too fast course, as the GT3's and other SS cars have way more 50+ MPH acceleration than we do, but for sure it's also not in it's peak form when you win from nimbleness. I've run against the same people at Packwood and Bremerton/Sanderson. and I do better at Bremerton/Sanderson. We're seeing people that do really well at their local 30 second courses go way, way off PAX when they hit a national style larger course.

@Dallas J - As an FYI, as discussed here, PAX is not based on the larger courses. It's based on every single event run in the USA that publishes results online. So it's meant to be an average of all the local courses out there. If it were based on national level events, the PAX would be much lower since an EV-X has never once even entered PAX competitiveness nationally. If we really believe the PAX for the M3P is correct, then we also have to believe that nobody competitive has ever shown up for a nationals or national tour event.

The trick is, that PAX is only adjusted if you show up, and run within 105% of the top PAX of the day. If you run less than that, you're ignored in adjusting PAX. Which means once the PAX gets too high, it stops being adjusted because nobody can even get into the realm.

Sounds like we should hit the Packwood national tour next year and see what we can do! (if it exists next year...)

Last edited: