Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023:
20230327_130749.jpg

2024:
20230327_130817.jpg

😇🤗🥳

I see there are 4 entries to the Vegas Tour. Are they forum members?
2 in SS, and 2 in EVX.

Looks like Bruce in EVX did pretty well in Prosolo coming in 2nd and beating Tom Berry in his EVO in XA.
Bruce was 4th in overall PAX.
Still a bit confused on classes 2023. What class is a lowered suspension , control arm changed for more neg camber, sway bar changed, wide wheel and tire Model Y Performance. Thanks.

Apparently there is a new XS class, XSE, where EV's can play. XSE allow more mods then EVX. This is a brand new class, that has not filtered down to the local level.

XSE was absorbed into just XS.
But the Xx classes are a bit of a mess anyway. It's meant as a "tuner" class where someone can bring their regular, somewhat modded street car, and have a place to play. Unfortunately they aren't even thinking about what a 10/10ths built car would look like. So now, you've got a 2 time national champion in SM, who's about to throw some 200tw tires on his Evo, add even more mods, which aren't allowed in SM, about to clean house.

One of the people running in Las Vegas this weekend in EV-X has run in other places and has a huge wing on the back. They run in a local class that allows it. Interested if they took it off for the national classing or don't realize it's not allowed in EV-X.

Bruce is a strong competitor in the AZ region and runs close to all the top SS people locally. But those courses are small. Will be really interesting to see how he does in a larger course against the top Porsches on larger courses. May be the first time we see what a upgraded M3P can really do. All the top SS cars are from his region and will be in Vegas too.

Hello, want to Autocross my Y Performance.
So I think I need some new autocross wheels.
Thinking maybe 20x10, ET40 with 285/35-20? Is it a good choice? With some "semi light" rim?

Tires must be road tires, not semi slick or marked as racing only tires.
Thread rating must be 250 or above if I want to drive with the regular people and not be put in a "pro class".

In my city the autox track is very short, also narrow. It means I cant warm tires.
Also it rains like 350 days a year :p So I am wondering if PS4S is a good choice?
Any better options? Continental sportcontact 7?

I have looked at tires like cup2, but they are below 250 thread life so then I cant use them.

I guess 19" will give too much body roll? Then I would have needed to go 285/40-19?

You want smaller wheels. Tires are cheaper and lighter. Run 19", and even some 18" tires fit. The sidewall compliance is a good thing. Look at F1 cars.

I'd go 265/35R19 on 9.5 wheels. 10 is harder to fit and won't fit et40. You need more like et30 or lower.

PS4S is an amazing rain tire. Do it.

Really wide wheels and tires are pointless unless you are going to add camber to the car, which is really the first thing you should do, even before tires.

Oh, and why not run it stock for a while? The stock tires are fine until you build your skills.

You want smaller wheels. Tires are cheaper and lighter. Run 19", and even some 18" tires fit. The sidewall compliance is a good thing. Look at F1 cars.

I'd go 265/35R19 on 9.5 wheels. 10 is harder to fit and won't fit et40. You need more like et30 or lower.

PS4S is an amazing rain tire. Do it.

Really wide wheels and tires are pointless unless you are going to add camber to the car, which is really the first thing you should do, even before tires.

Oh, and why not run it stock for a while? The stock tires are fine until you build your skills.
Hello, thanks for your suggestions.
I saw this one: 285's or 295's for MYP at front and back/square set up

He put 285/35R20 in square setup with ET40 on 10 rims.
I saw some other guy using 10.5" rims too, but if 285 fits 10 I guess that's fine too.
But of course maybe it's better to downsize rim, as you say.

One of the reasons I am considering the square setup is that the Y Performance has a staggered setup with 255 front and 275 rear.
So this of course makes it understeer more. When I had the 3P I had square setup and I liked that it was a very tad oversteered.
I did drive the 3P with custom forged wheels, also with zero-gs. Always 235 width PS4S though and I fit KW V3 to it.

But the YP I wont put coilovers on, maybe I will put eibachs on it for sligth lowering.

Regadring running first with stock wheels: I see the YP tires are too narrow for the rim width.
It's got 9.5 front and 10.5 rear, with tires 255/275. So its quite stretched and will most likely be curb rashed on the first curb on the track :p

But of course I could buy some new rear tires in 295/35-21 and move the 275 front (just so I dont damage the rims on the curbs).
The wheels are super heavy though, so I guess on autocross I would feel this a lot?
I am considering buying two p-zero tires in the 295/35-21. I didnt try the car on summer wheels yet, as its a 2023 VIN berlin YP which got plates at very end of 2022. So I've just had it for about 4000km, mostly my gf drives it to/from work.

But I will dragrace it too on street legal, as I did with the 3P. I did win 1st place on year and 2. place another year with the 3P.

So its quite stretched and will most likely be curb rashed on the first curb on the track
There are no curbs at autocross.

It sounds like you're pretty new to autocross. You should really run the first season on stock wheels and tires. Until you know you love it, and are actually good at it, better tires don't mean much. Autocross is about the driver, and it's really humbling.

Here's my rule: Until you can start reliably running 60 second courses within 0.5 seconds, you won't benefit a lot from better hardware. Focus on actually going to autocross, not throwing hardware at it.

I had a friend that wouldn't autoX his M3P until he had a bunch of camber and fit 295 hoosiers on the car. We ran together, and I beat him by 2 seconds while running PS4S'. He never AutoX'd again. He wasted all that time and money on something that wasn't really his thing. Make sure it's your thing first.

We just have this small track in my city, it's really a gokart track that is used.

The long end of this track we also use for dragracing (street legal, 0-201 meter).

I have been dragracing and gokarting, but not auto-x.

However I will consider to wait a bit with new wheels and replace rear tires with 295/35-21 and fit the 275/35-21 front.
I do gokarting on regular basis, tournament with my work, so we are constantly getting better.
So I know all about how much experience matters, also knowing the limits and beeing able to feel and react to the feedback from what you are driving.

So I am just a bit afraid that the YP will be too understeered with the staggered setup?