TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Automatic Emergency Braking - Foriegn Object Detection?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by P100DHG., Aug 28, 2018.

1. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Supporting Member

So I had a very interesting incident happen. I was on the 101 headed west between the 134 and 405 freeways for those who are familiar with that stretch. Autopilot was turned on and performing impeccably. The car in front of my was light grey color indicating it was tracking it and a fair distance away and my lines where both a solid consistent blue color. Along the freeway comes a large piece of paper, about a 18” wide and 8’ long, lofting and blowing in the breeze of passing cars. The paper comes between and the car in front. The car turns red and the alarm bell sounds on the ICU. But no prompt to take over. Again the alarm sounds the car flashes red but no alarm to take over. My car hit the piece of paper at 70mph. No brakes were applied by autopilot, no course correction, nothing. Now in this instance it worked flawlessly because if it had slammed on the brakes for a piece of paper it would have been a mistake. I thought I’d share this story and ask was this AI or just lucky?

• Disagree x 1
  2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I think lucky. The piece of paper may have momentarily gotten confused with the car in front and the bounding box for the car might’ve falsely been a ton closer to you than reality.

I don’t think it’s something you can rely on.

3. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Radar does not bounce off of paper, it goes right through it.

• Like x 1
  4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

As an aside: for LIDAR; a piece of paper would look rather threatening. It has more reflectivity than most cars. Vision still has a huge responsibility to accurately label potential obstacles.