Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please explain how Automatic Emergency Braking is invoked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla claims to have software in every car that does what the OP is asking for. In the OPs scenario, he claims to have been 'about to hit the accelerator', not that he did hit the accelerator. Perhaps, had he actually hit the accelerator, he would have found out if Tesla's system works. Of course, nobody wants to find out for themselves!

Last year, Tesla stated that the software in place was preventing about 40 accidents of this sort every day. As I recall, they used a specific example where someone was standing behind a car when the driver mistakenly thought he was in Drive, but was actually in reverse. When the driver attempted to accelerate, the car disabled the accelerator and applied the brakes, thus preventing striking the person.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and TresLA
Tesla claims to have software in every car that does what the OP is asking for. In the OPs scenario, he claims to have been 'about to hit the accelerator', not that he did hit the accelerator. Perhaps, had he actually hit the accelerator, he would have found out if Tesla's system works. Of course, nobody wants to find out for themselves!

Last year, Tesla stated that the software in place was preventing about 40 accidents of this sort every day. As I recall, they used a specific example where someone was standing behind a car when the driver mistakenly thought he was in Drive, but was actually in reverse. When the driver attempted to accelerate, the car disabled the accelerator and applied the brakes, thus preventing striking the person.
Yes, Tesla and at least 18 other carmakers claim to have what the OP is asking for, but no one guarantees it works in every situation. In my earlier comment I post Subaru’s website and verbiage. Tesla’s AEB can prevent some, may reduce the impact of others, but just like everyone else in the industry, doesn’t guarantee it’ll work in every scenario. It is impossible to if-then statement our way through the real world. The English language is playfully mocked as having more exceptions than rules. Reality is magnitudes more complex.

EDIT: I’m getting that number 18 from this 9 year old video

1689444829740.png

Yes, Tesla and at least 18 other carmakers claim to have what the OP is asking for, but no one guarantees it works in every situation. In my earlier comment I post Subaru’s website and verbiage. Tesla’s AEB can prevent some, may reduce the impact of others, but just like everyone else in the industry, doesn’t guarantee it’ll work in every scenario. It is impossible to if-then statement our way through the real world. The English language is playfully mocked as having more exceptions than rules. Reality is magnitudes more complex.

EDIT: I’m getting that number 18 from this 9 year old video

View attachment 956507
The system I referred to is separate from AEB.

I did hit the accelerator but braked even faster. I've also almost plowed innto someone walking right past my car as I backed out

Last edited:
I did hit the accelerator but braked even faster. I've also almost plowed innto someone walking right past my car as I backed out
Well, that's not what you wrote. You actually wrote that you were "about to hit the accelerator". Two very different stories. But, you're free to revise the story as many times as you like, so OK.

So I inched up

I wan't inching up

about to hit the accelerator

I did hit the accelerator

EM says car on AP does AEB

[so] how can the milions of possible scenarios be handled buy FSD
MJ, you're not making sense. Maybe start a new thread with what you've learned here to be more articulate. You can use AI to help write what you're trying to say.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Yelobird and Scelto
Not sure I understand the complaint. You inched up without hitting the accelerator. How much slamming on the brakes was necessary? Plus you said you were “so aware” yet seeing 5 kids crossing illegally you still assumed you had the right away. And this is the cars fault?
I was ready to take off, 1 kid directly in front of me and I hit the brakes. Maybe moved 1 foot. He was clearly in view of windshield cameras. Car should've alerted (beeped) and disengage. That is not asking alot

I was ready to take off, 1 kid directly in front of me and I hit the brakes. Maybe moved 1 foot. He was clearly in view of windshield cameras. Car should've alerted (beeped) and disengage. That is not asking alot
Umphh. You should just tap out. You were not On the accelerator which in an EV car means it’s was stopped or stopping. Sorry you provided to many details in your OP to invalidate Everything you have said since.

Umphh. You should just tap out. You were not On the accelerator which in an EV car means it’s was stopped or stopping. Sorry you provided to many details in your OP to invalidate Everything you have said since.
There is no convincing you all so I just give up. Simple. I looked left, all was clear, hit the accelerator I look forward and there was the idiot in front of me and I slammed on the brakes.

There is no convincing you all so I just give up. Simple. I looked left, all was clear, hit the accelerator I look forward and there was the idiot in front of me and I slammed on the brakes.
We’ve responded to your scenario(s) and questions, but you aren’t satisfied with the current state of the industry’s AEB (not just Tesla). AEB doesn’t apply to AP or FSDb (which you weren’t using), because… the car controls the brakes in those modes. If you hit the brake pedal, then you’re no longer in AP nor FSDb. The brake pedal is how you disengage (turn off) those two modes. In other words, if the scenario is AP/FSDb, then AEB doesn’t apply. It would just be called: braking.