Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please explain how Automatic Emergency Braking is invoked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving south down a 2 lane road and approached the stop light. However this intersection has a right turn cut out with a stop sign that implies you can turn right if there is no approaching traffic on the left. At this time there were 4 or 5 teenage kids on bikes who were intent on crossing across all stopped traffic even though the newish stop light had the right hand up against turning So I inched up, saw all was clear to my left about to hit the accelerator and 1 idiot decided to cross in front of me and I slammed the brakes. So the question is when does AEB work? On AP, on FSD, at certain speeds?. I clearly would have ran him over if I wasn't so aware so while this would have not been a car crash it would have been a pedestrian ON a bike (not walking it) and police, hospitals and lawyers would've been involved. So how HARD would it have been for the car to notice this and alert me, which it did not?

No idea what your car is, but this is likely true for all of them:

FAIL

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration​

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to reduce the impact of a collision by reducing motor torque and in some cases applying the brakes, if Model 3 detects an object in its driving path. The touchscreen displays a visual warning and sounds a chime when the brakes are automatically applied. For example, Model 3, while parked in front of a closed garage door with Drive engaged, detects that you have pressed hard on the accelerator pedal. Although Model 3 still accelerates and hits the garage door, the reduced torque may result in less damage.

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to operate only when all of these conditions are simultaneously met:

• Drive or Reverse is engaged.
  • Model 3 is stopped or traveling less than 10 mph (16 km/h).
  • Model 3 detects an object in its immediate driving path.

To disable Obstacle-Aware Acceleration, touch Controls > Autopilot > Obstacle-Aware Acceleration.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scelto
AEB (in general for other carmakers too) & Obstacle Aware Acceleration are not designed to prevent collisions. They’re designed to reduce the severity/impact. This is an industry wide “liability mitigation” that disruptive companies are trying to change: prevent collisions and not just reduce the severity

Reactions: Yelobird
On my 2022 MSLR, AEB is enabled from the center screen. It is not dependent on any other driver assist feature. I had an incident where it saved my arse. I was heading towards a green traffic light. It turned yellow when I was two cars from the intersection. I assumed the guy in front would roll through, so I did not prepare to brake. Well, the guy in front put on his brakes to stop at the yellow. I lifted off the accelerator and before I was able to put my foot on the brake the car did it for me. Forward motion stopped just one foot from the car in front. It was an awesome response from the car. Never be in a hurry!

Reactions: Abraham
On my 2022 MSLR, AEB is enabled from the center screen. It is not dependent on any other driver assist feature. I had an incident where it saved my arse. I was heading towards a green traffic light. It turned yellow when I was two cars from the intersection. I assumed the guy in front would roll through, so I did not prepare to brake. Well, the guy in front put on his brakes to stop at the yellow. I lifted off the accelerator and before I was able to put my foot on the brake the car did it for me. Forward motion stopped just one foot from the car in front. It was an awesome response from the car. Never be in a hurry!
That's good for you but there have been many incidents where pedestrians have been killed pulling forward or backing ot of a driveway. I've seen commercials
on TV for current cars where someone backs out of a driveway and it stops because a kid was behind it. Is this TOO MUCH to ask for this car?

BTW I have ALL the switches turned on about obstacles and braking and my car is a 2019 M3 SRP as if that matters. I have USS sensors,
don't know if they work but I can tell you I was about 3 feet behind another car but the display bounced back and forth between 23 and 31 inches.
So much for "Tesla Vision".

Last edited:
It's explained in the owner's manual here. Specifically, relevant answer to your questions:
When a collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to apply the brakes to reduce the vehicle's speed and therefore, the severity of the impact.
and:
Automatic Emergency Braking operates only when driving between approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and 124 mph (200 km/h).
So per your OP, you were "inching up" and therefore AEB is not applicable in that scenario.

I was driving south down a 2 lane road and approached the stop light. However this intersection has a right turn cut out with a stop sign that implies you can turn right if there is no approaching traffic on the left. At this time there were 4 or 5 teenage kids on bikes who were intent on crossing across all stopped traffic even though the newish stop light had the right hand up against turning So I inched up, saw all was clear to my left about to hit the accelerator and 1 idiot decided to cross in front of me and I slammed the brakes. So the question is when does AEB work? On AP, on FSD, at certain speeds?. I clearly would have ran him over if I wasn't so aware so while this would have not been a car crash it would have been a pedestrian ON a bike (not walking it) and police, hospitals and lawyers would've been involved. So how HARD would it have been for the car to notice this and alert me, which it did not?
Not sure I understand the complaint. You inched up without hitting the accelerator. How much slamming on the brakes was necessary? Plus you said you were “so aware” yet seeing 5 kids crossing illegally you still assumed you had the right away. And this is the cars fault?

I was using nothing. Just my wits. I still don't understand why the car didn't stop me and if not how hard is it to code it in. This Killing a Human with Your Car 101
Again, this is a misconception of AEB systems. What you’re wanting doesn’t yet exist across the industry. For example, one of those commercials I remember was Subaru, and so straight from Subaru’s website (EyeSight Driver Assist Technology | Subaru): “reduce the power from the engine to help minimize the possible impact force and frontal impact damage” and “helps you avoid or reduce frontal impacts”

Tesla is the same. It can prevent some, but in other situations will only reduce/minimize.

Reactions: jeewee3000
I was using nothing. Just my wits. I still don't understand why the car didn't stop me and if not how hard is it to code it in. This Killing a Human with Your Car 101
Not wishing to be too forward, but going to google and typing "automatic emergency braking systems" lists at least ten articles explaining how these various systems work. Hint - none of them mention "inching up" to a junction :cool:
Sounds like its working as designed and has been tested many times by places like NHTSA IIHS etc etc and passed with flying colors.
Maybe an expectation adjustment is needed?

Reactions: Yelobird
Not wishing to be too forward, but going to google and typing "automatic emergency braking systems" lists at least ten articles explaining how these various systems work. Hint - none of them mention "inching up" to a junction :cool:
Sounds like its working as designed and has been tested many times by places like NHTSA IIHS etc etc and passed with flying colors.
Maybe an expectation adjustment is needed?
I wan't inching up to a junction I was about to HIT a kid who crossed in front of me as I was about to accelerate. I don't care what NHTSA says. The technology exists to have stopped me.

Again, this is a misconception of AEB systems. What you’re wanting doesn’t yet exist across the industry. For example, one of those commercials I remember was Subaru, and so straight from Subaru’s website (EyeSight Driver Assist Technology | Subaru): “reduce the power from the engine to help minimize the possible impact force and frontal impact damage” and “helps you avoid or reduce frontal impacts”

Tesla is the same. It can prevent some, but in other situations will only reduce/minimize.
It's a simple coding fix. IF ACCELERATE = YES AND PEDESTRIAN IN FRONT OF ME THEN DISENGAGE. I don't understand why people are excusing this simple thing. A number of years ago in NYC a father ran over one of his kids as he backed out of the driveway. Granted, maybe 20 years ago,but now unacceptable. If these Optimus robots use the same code as FSD are you saying it would walk over me if I got in it's way. One local supermarket chain here uses these robots to detect spillage breakage on the floor it notifies for a cleanup. If you walk in front of it it STOPS. Then again it has sensors which EM thinks are a waste of money. And there is a Subaru or maybe Hyundai commercial where it prevents a kid from exiting street side passenger seat because a car is approaching.
Some yearss ago someone tweeted EM to prevent opening car door if bicyclist approached. He said OK. Guess what?

Reactions: JM_M3
I wan't inching up to a junction
So I inched up, saw all was clear to my left about to hit the accelerator
Were the kids approaching from the right. I don't think any AEB will work in this case since the car was stopped and the kids weren't in front of the car yet. At any rate, its good you looked before you leapt. Stay attentive, look both ways and behind you if backing up.

Just had a dastardly thought. If this did work the way you are suggesting, it would make it easy for those protestors in SF. All they'd have to do is put a cone in front the the Waymo and one behind to box the car in!

Last edited:
I wan't inching up to a junction I was about to HIT a kid who crossed in front of me as I was about to accelerate. I don't care what NHTSA says. The technology exists to have stopped me.
So I inched up, saw all was clear to my left about to hit the accelerator and 1 idiot decided to cross in front of me and I slammed the brakes.
Those are your own words
We can’t fix your unrealistic expectations

It's a simple coding fix. IF ACCELERATE = YES AND PEDESTRIAN IN FRONT OF ME THEN DISENGAGE. I don't understand why people are excusing this simple thing. A number of years ago in NYC a father ran over one of his kids as he backed out of the driveway. Granted, maybe 20 years ago,but now unacceptable. If these Optimus robots use the same code as FSD are you saying it would walk over me if I got in it's way. One local supermarket chain here uses these robots to detect spillage breakage on the floor it notifies for a cleanup. If you walk in front of it it STOPS. Then again it has sensors which EM thinks are a waste of money. And there is a Subaru or maybe Hyundai commercial where it prevents a kid from exiting street side passenger seat because a car is approaching.
Some yearss ago someone tweeted EM to prevent opening car door if bicyclist approached. He said OK. Guess what?
I’m not talking about just Tesla. This is industry-wide: AEB tech exists. It just isn’t foolproof. Your expectations are unreasonable. If it were so simple, humans wouldn’t ever run over kids, or rather, accidents would never happen.

Reactions: rlsd and Yelobird
I’m not talking about just Tesla. This is industry-wide: AEB tech exists. It just isn’t foolproof. Your expectations are unreasonable. If it were so simple, humans wouldn’t ever run over kids, or rather, accidents would never happen.
EM says FSD will get to NO ACCIDENTS. It's on video. As for expections to quote someone famous..... Some Say Why, I Say Why NOT.
Following YOUR expections FSD will never work