Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Garage Door Opening No Longer Works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me who's having problems with the automatic garage door opening not working any more?

I recently extended the range of my garage door opener, bought special RF shielded LED bulbs, etc., but now it seems after one of the recent software updates the garage door no longer opens when I arrive at my driveway. It used to work great prior to that and it's super nice for the garage to open automatically as I pull up to my driveway.

Is it just me who's having problems with the automatic garage door opening not working any more?

I recently extended the range of my garage door opener, bought special RF shielded LED bulbs, etc., but now it seems after one of the recent software updates the garage door no longer opens when I arrive at my driveway. It used to work great prior to that and it's super nice for the garage to open automatically as I pull up to my driveway.
My opener is working fine but geeze Louise is the closer not workin 80%+ of the time

Does it work from the same range when you manually open it? In other words, disable the auto-open portion and from the same distance click it to see if it opens. That will tell you if the receiver is within range or not.

We recently had an issue where one of the doors we had programmed in one of our cars quit opening one of our doors. We don't use auto but manually open and close all of our doors due to complexity of multiple cars and doors so it's not exactly the same but it was very odd that only the one car could no longer open one of the garage doors and we didn't make any changes. It started right after a firmware update so I suspected something in the data for that piece became corrupt.

Fortunately for us we sold the car shortly after the problem started so I didn't get the opportunity to test or fix. I thought I'd share the data point though just in case any of it was helpful in your situation. I'd start with returning to a range that worked for you or manually triggering it from the new further distance to compare results. It could just be a simple as your receiver can't receive from that distance and there's not a lot you can do for that.

I used to be able to shut the garage door (2016) while in motion driving away. Now, unless I am 10 feet from the garage door facing it head on it won't open or close. I explained the issue to my Tesla service center and their reaction was like I didn't know how a garage door opener worked.