Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

automatic headlights, model X

Jarends

Apr 2, 2021
Newton, NC
I've had my car for a month now. I set my headlights on auto. Having driven at night several times, they have never switched to the high beam.
I read the manual again and noticed that the symbol for Automatic HLs, is a light with a A in the center. I don't see that at all. Set the auto in the control menu, the auto blue square is lit.
Can't figure it out.
J

RGloverii

Jul 1, 2018
Lake Fenton, Michigan
The turn signal stalk - push it towards the dashboard (or forward, don't recall which). Now look in your instrument cluster for the "automatic" symbol.

Took me like 2 weeks with my first Tesla before I figured it out! :)

ithinkmac

Oct 28, 2013
SF Bay Area
I think all cars with automatic headlights is setup this way, at least it seems to be with the 2 brands I've own. You technically have to turn on high-beam for the automatic high beam feature to function.

-ThinkMac-

07e92

Jan 15, 2020
N. California
X adopts some of the designs and components from Mercedes. for examples, auto brake hold, all the stalks, windows switches, and earlier version of air suspension are exactly the same as Mercedes. And the auto high beam too operates the same way as Mercedes by pushing the turn signal stalk toward dashboard, however, I feel it reacts (i.e. switch in between high and low beams) slower than it should be.

Jarends

Apr 2, 2021
Newton, NC
Yes, that worked. When the headlights are on, you push the lever toward the dash and the Auto symbol comes on the dash. Of coarse, you have to have the settings in line.
Thanks for your help.
J

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
i leave auto-highs on. unfortunately, when I try to signal often times I disable auto-highs and end up flashing the person in front of me 🤣

X-pilot

Jul 5, 2019
Florida
Yes, that worked. When the headlights are on, you push the lever toward the dash and the Auto symbol comes on the dash. Of coarse, you have to have the settings in line.
Thanks for your help.
J
Yep! It is really more like an "auto-dim" feature, as you select hi-beam and it dims for oncoming traffic and then returns to hi. However, bright isn't enough for my eyes.

laceyboy

Aug 9, 2020
Lacey WA
I've had my car for a month now. I set my headlights on auto. Having driven at night several times, they have never switched to the high beam.
I read the manual again and noticed that the symbol for Automatic HLs, is a light with a A in the center. I don't see that at all. Set the auto in the control menu, the auto blue square is lit.
Can't figure it out.
J
Auto high beam actually works different way than you think.
When you turn on high beam by pushing the lever away at dark, high beam is only on when there is no on coming cars. Otherwise, it will turn off automatically.
It prevents blinding on coming drivers.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Understand, not much different then my other cars. Worked great last night.

yeah, i think it's pretty standard these days. i had a 2021 nissan versa rental and it had auto highbeams, android auto (dont get me started), backup cam, blindspot monitoring, all kinds of nice tech for a 15k car!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC