Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2016 Headlight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks

My driver side headlight main light is gone. Daylight and high beam still works. Tesla is asking to replace whole light for 3700$ which is out of my reach. I checked eBay and found some options for 300-400 but all of them say broken tabs. Any advise plz?

Can we just repair main headlight or whole assembly need to be replaced?

Also i cannot find any youtube video for model x headlight replacement. If anyone can send me a link it will be helpful.

I have exact same issue on 2017 MX . $3500+ quote. I started looking at eBay and wasn’t sure what I needed and if this is something I could even attempt or best to bite bullet.
Yeah I’m checking eBay too but all of them are used and no guarantee if all lights will work or not and most are not refundable. For now I’m gonna use day light with front fog on as it should be fine.

Yeah I’m checking eBay too but all of them are used and no guarantee if all lights will work or not and most are not refundable. For now I’m gonna use day light with front fog on as it should be fine.

Hey
hi. I have a 2017 X 100D. Attached is my head lights. First the driver side went of soon after the passenger side too. Is this how urs looks too?

Attachments

• IMG_9495.jpeg
    IMG_9495.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 99
Yes my driver side is gone and here is how they look on low beam and high beam

For yours they are symmetrical so I will suggest you don’t change them if light is enough at night.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 49
I did testing last night and took a video/pics i sent to Tesla. Essentially the passenger side has the low-beam/regular night beam bulb blown. Everything else works perfectly - high beam, Daytime running light (the lower brow) etc. I opened a ticket with Tesla asking if they could simply just replace the blown bulb vs. the entire unit ($3600 was the last quote for entire unit). After some back and forth they are only able to change the entire unit - not the bulb.

Q: is it possible to change just the bulb or is this entire thing garbage?

I did testing last night and took a video/pics i sent to Tesla. Essentially the passenger side has the low-beam/regular night beam bulb blown. Everything else works perfectly - high beam, Daytime running light (the lower brow) etc. I opened a ticket with Tesla asking if they could simply just replace the blown bulb vs. the entire unit ($3600 was the last quote for entire unit). After some back and forth they are only able to change the entire unit - not the bulb.

Q: is it possible to change just the bulb or is this entire thing garbage?
The entire part is sealed and there is no way to open it unless you cut it with a cutter. There are videos on YouTube but it’s not repairable.

Same problem here on my 2016 passenger side. Tried to go the replacement module route as some have been successful but no joy. Service quoted me $2400 for replacement to which I declined, advising them their price was utterly ridiculous for a single assembly. I guess I am off to eBay.

sorry for late replay, you can buy from ebay any headlight for model x that is produced from 2015 to 2021 when Tesla release the new model x. from 2019 it has un upgrade, but it will fit also on older x and visualy is identical. not so easy to change, i can tell you what you have to do. one person job for one hour.

No worries. I have ordered a headlight from a 2022 as well as a separate module from eBay. Will test both once they arrive and return what is not needed. I do however anticipate it being more than the module.
any update? Did you change your light? For me after changing light and updating firmware i have an issue that both my lights stay fully ON now even during the day.