Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

automatic precondition vs defrost mode...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I have scheduled preconditioning to get my cabin up to temperature before driving. Normally when temperatures are "moderate" (30F to 40F) it seems like it only takes a few min for the car to heat up to my normal cabin temperature, so I am thinking that it will still get to the right temperature even in colder weather, but not do it early enough to melt off exterior ice accumulation.... is that correct? In really bad weather where snow or ice may have formed on the car do I need to hit the defrost option an hour before I have to leave work?

Thanks,

Keith

If there is snow and ice on the windshield, windows then you can use the Tesla app and select defrost mode for maximum cabin heating. This will melt any accumulated snow and ice faster. If there is a large amount of snow on the vehicle you should clear the snow while defrosting. It is possible to cause the glass roof or windshield to crack when using maximum defrost when there is a large amount of snow or ice on the vehicle.

Reactions: Koolio46