Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does pre-conditioning = Defrost functi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See the reply from @M1tch -- he puts it perfectly. Not having a dig at you and I generally find your posts helpful and thoughtful. But the notion that the motorways (highways) in the USA are "infinitely better looked after" just isn't true. Sadly.
Oh, I see where the misunderstanding is.
“Home” is in Portugal. I have never driven in the USA so have no idea of the state of motorways there.

And thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate them 😊

EDIT: having re-read my post I did indeed neglect to mention where “home” is.
Odd, could have sworn I had when I made that post. Brain fart, I apologise.

Reactions: M1tch and KennethS
Windscreens do typically do crack under extremes of temperature such as being very cold on the outside and hot on the inside due to the thermal stress but only if there is a fault in the glass that acts as a weak spot. If not then this would happen all the time.
The only question is really was it a stone chip or a fault in the glass. Tesla clearly giving themselves the benefit of the doubt on this one not surprisingly.
I do though sometimes think EV's are more prone to this. An ICE when defrosting typically has a cold engine so the air used to defrost is not very warm so there is less thermal shock than with an EV that is able to blow very hot air almost instantly.

Similar thing happened to me in reverse. Hot sun on a cold windscreen. I was able to trace the crack back to what was clearly a stone chip.
Here in the UK our insurance policies typically cover windscreens with a very low excess, deductible I think you would call it. So mine was replace for less than $150 fortunately. :)
The difference with the Tesla is that the remote defrost heats up to an EXTREME level, much hotter than using the defrost at the maximum level on a ga- engine car. You would think that the Tesla software would be able to gradually increase the heat on a cold day to avoid cracking the windshield. After 45 years of driving, with much experience in cold northern New England, I have never had this issue before, although my windshields on other cars had been through many more stone impacts. I think this should definitely have been covered by warranty, and am extremely disappointed with Tesla.

I just picked up my Y with the new windshield, and spoke to the service manager about my annoyance about this. He immediately reversed the first service rep who claimed this was not covered by the warranty, and replaced my $1500 invoice with a $0 charge. Perhaps the first service rep who claimed invisible dings in the glass caused the crack came from one of the smarmy non-Tesla dealerships I have dealt with for my former cars.

I just picked up my Y with the new windshield, and spoke to the service manager about my annoyance about this. He immediately reversed the first service rep who claimed this was not covered by the warranty, and replaced my $1500 invoice with a $0 charge. Perhaps the first service rep who claimed invisible dings in the glass caused the crack came from one of the smarmy non-Tesla dealerships I have dealt with for my former cars.

I have found this on many occasions after agreeing work/costs in principle - but normally it’s the other way around and someone/something (computer says no) higher up the chain reneges the original agreement.

One example, a whole host of post delivery fixes, including severe condensation in rear lights. Covid struck so appt moved to warmer times - original chap furloughed. New chap - no damp in lights so won’t replace. It was 80+ so had dried out and didn’t believe original chap’s assessment. Next wet season Tesla had changed their criteria of wet lights and could never be arsed to plan a service appt around wet weather.

Oh, I see where the misunderstanding is.
“Home” is in Portugal. I have never driven in the USA so have no idea of the state of motorways there.

And thank you for the kind words, I do appreciate them 😊

EDIT: having re-read my post I did indeed neglect to mention where “home” is.
Odd, could have sworn I had when I made that post. Brain fart, I apologise.
Now it makes sense. Your posts are helpful and wasn’t having dig I just find our roads utterly abominable. “Maintained” by the highways wombles that just install cameras, new crash barriers (that aren’t needed) and they rebrand every few weeks as they are so rich. Just a horrendous money pit.

Glad your roads are good though and thanks for all the other help since I’ve been on here 👍🏻

As a rule of thumb I created an Apple Shortcuts automation based on a couple months of trial and error in the winter:

In the morning, when > 10° -> do nothing
When > -2°C -> Precondition
When <= -2°C -> Precondition AND Defrost
I am trying to set up something similar but getting stuck - do you have your shortcut file or link? that I can modify as I need to set up time and also days I don’t want it to precondition at that time?

Now it makes sense. Your posts are helpful and wasn’t having dig I just find our roads utterly abominable. “Maintained” by the highways wombles that just install cameras, new crash barriers (that aren’t needed) and they rebrand every few weeks as they are so rich. Just a horrendous money pit.

Glad your roads are good though and thanks for all the other help since I’ve been on here 👍🏻
One of the main road near me is being resurfaced at the moment. It improved dramatically when they removed the old surface (eliminating all the potholes). Now the new surface is going down and it’s anything but flat. Why, in the days of laser levels, GPS, computing and sensors on anything that moves, can’t they lay a flat bit of tarmac?

One of the main road near me is being resurfaced at the moment. It improved dramatically when they removed the old surface (eliminating all the potholes). Now the new surface is going down and it’s anything but flat. Why, in the days of laser levels, GPS, computing and sensors on anything that moves, can’t they lay a flat bit of tarmac?
Is that being done with the HS2 money? ;)

Because it’s done as quickly and cheaply as possible after is contracted, sub-contracted, sub-contracted and then farmed out again. And everyone in the chain gets their cut of money so nobody actually cares anymore.

In the UK we don't experience the extreme temperature changes that some countries do. I think extreme temperature change over the year has to be hard on paving. Yet the road construction here seems to result in roads requiring frequent maintenance and repair. The country lane we live on seems to need resurfacing every few years. Full employment plan or incompetence? Several years ago someone had a new home built and the construction vehicles did quite a lot of damage on a short stretch of the road. The homeowner was required to fix the damage. Not sure who they used but that stretch of road remains the best condition of the entire country lane even though other parts of it have undergone repair and maintenance many times since. Obviously it can be done.

having re-read my post I did indeed neglect to mention where “home” is.

Just in case useful:

I'm on PC (not phone) and what I see is that you are in Shrewsbury ... but the LOCATION visible is so short that if you put an explanation of "HERE but sometimes THERE" I wouldn't see it ... although if you are not in Shrewsbury any more? you could change that

TMC02.gif

Just in case useful:

I'm on PC (not phone) and what I see is that you are in Shrewsbury ... but the LOCATION visible is so short that if you put an explanation of "HERE but sometimes THERE" I wouldn't see it ... although if you are not in Shrewsbury any more? you could change that

View attachment 1012665
I live in Shrewsbury and have been in the UK for over 20 years.
But “home” will always be Portugal.

Thank you for the tip, though! 😊

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Really interesting, hadn't thought of the reverse shock.
Two of my family members back home have Teslas and obviously cool the car before starting a journey in the Summer.
Cabin temperatures can be in excess of 60 degrees and so far neither of them has ever had a windscreen cracked (he says, jinxing them).
I would imagine it may be because the motorways are infinitely better looked after and it's a rarity to get a stone chip hitting the windscreen.
Anything that puts thermal stress on the glass i.e. significantly different temperatures on one side or the other makes it more likely to crack but it is only going to happen if there is a stone chip or other fault in the glass.
60 degrees is pretty hot but the AC would take a few minutes to cool the air down in that case and even when it did there is no reason for the AC to be blowing the cold air directly onto the windscreen like you do when demisting so I think the transition would be more gentle.

This is what my car looks like on a thermal imaging camera just on Standard preheat on a winter day not defrost.
Quite a thermal gradient there I would say.
FLIR_20240119_080422_694.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I am trying to set up something similar but getting stuck - do you have your shortcut file or link? that I can modify as I need to set up time and also days I don’t want it to precondition at that time?
Here you are

1706358475974.jpeg
1706358492531.jpeg

It's actually launched through another Automation I have that use Tessie and checks that I'm at the same location as my car in the mornings.
If you have an irregular schedule, you can add a prompt before to avoid triggering the precondition if you're not going to use the car one morning.

Reactions: spdpsba
Here you are

View attachment 1012674View attachment 1012675

It's actually launched through another Automation I have that use Tessie and checks that I'm at the same location as my car in the mornings.
If you have an irregular schedule, you can add a prompt before to avoid triggering the precondition if you're not going to use the car one morning.
Thanks, I’ll play around and see what works for me.