Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does pre-conditioning = Defrost functi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the re-assurance. I appreciate that windscreen cracks are likely to be extremely rare. I guess one of the downsides of using social media to share experience is that while it is mostly very helpful to learn from more experienced Tesla owners, it is easy to dwell on rare examples of unfortunate cases and worry that the chance of similar happening to you is higher than it actually is.
Correct.

I cracked my windshield washing it on a hot, sunny day. The water wasn’t even particularly cold. Yep, hot windshield plus cooler water coming out of the hose = crack. I’ve washed cars like this for decades and this was the first time a windshield cracked, but I wasn’t surprised it happened. I’ve put ambient temperatured glass dishes in a sink of hot, soapy water and had them crack.

Because Teslas throw heat so quickly, I can totally understand the glass cracking if it was extremely cold. Under such conditions start with regular cabin heating for a bit and then throw on the defrost.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Because Teslas throw heat so quickly, I can totally understand the glass cracking if it was extremely cold. Under such conditions start with regular cabin heating for a bit and then throw on the defrost.

I just use the regular and allow a bit longer. I got fedup when I used to put the defrost on and it didn't default to normal on entry or start and then had to mess about with the climate.

I just use the regular and allow a bit longer. I got fedup when I used to put the defrost on and it didn't default to normal on entry or start and then had to mess about with the climate.
It’s true it’s a shame they don’t have a single button press to revert from defrost to regular. It’s four taps minimum on my MY :
- bring up climate controls
- disable front defroster
- disable wipers defroster
- disable rear defroster

Hopefully they’ll thing of something, or add the option to stop it when you shift to D?

Reactions: Js1977
It’s true it’s a shame they don’t have a single button press to revert from defrost to regular. It’s four taps minimum on my MY :
- bring up climate controls
- disable front defroster
- disable wipers defroster
- disable rear defroster

Hopefully they’ll thing of something, or add the option to stop it when you shift to D?

Yes it's very tedious and very easy for tesla to sort tbh.

I know some people bang on about the lack of buttons for climate etc but in all my cars with climate control just like the thermostat at the house, I just like to set it and forget it which I think its the whole point of climate control.

I know this probably doesn't work for some but for those that wake up (not turn up to work half asleep!) early enough its very perfectly doable... needless to say that I seldom use defrost very rarely 🤭

Reactions: Adopado