Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Has anyone ever been able to autopark?

I have tried several times: usually it doesn't "see" a space. But every time it does and I tell it to reverse in it immediately tries to hit one of the parked cars. It's too stressful so I don't even try now.

I find it pretty good. It will get the job done about 90% of the time for me. It seems fairly conservative and sometimes just gives up halfway through even though things look OK. It is a lot less scary than the auto park on the Audi is used to have.

I find I need to drive slowly past a spot and have the vehicle I’ll be parking behind (for a parallel park) in view of the rear camera for it to work, then stop, then go into reverse.

Agree its too stressful and acts far too quickly. It also doesnt allow for high kerbs.

It's not just me then who is surprised by the speed it reverses at! It starts off like a greyhound out of the traps and I don't have time to check the rear picture AND over my shoulder before it's turning towards other cars so I touch the brake which cuts it out.

Nice one, Elon!

I find that reverse parking in parking lots is not so good - a bit slow, too many adjustments and sometimes gives up in the process. However, parallel parking is flawless - very quick and accurate. Much better than I can ever do it
Mine has never given up in reverse but it does annoy other drivers waiting to park. I agree the parallel is good, better than I am.

Tried Autopark for the first time today. Hadn’t planned to, but was late to meet someone so was eagerly searching around for a space.

Happened to drive part two parked cars on the left, with a gap in between. Had indicated to show that I was going to park there, and by coincidence the “P” sign came up on the screen so I thought what the hell.

Popped it in reverse and it did it perfectly to be honest on the first attempt. An even distance from the kerb, not too close. I was hovering over the brake pedal in case it felt like kerbing the Performance alloys :eek:

Not sure I’d habitually trust it, and it was a space I could’ve driven into myself, but for a fully autonomous process it was pleasingly stress free.