Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot $3000 :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was down to $2k for a while as an add-on. About 2 weeks ago they raised it to $3K. Slimy.
IIRC it went back up because all the folks that paid more complained. Like dorks, Tesla didn't put that update on the blog (like they should have) Elon just tweeted it. Even then, they didn't actually raise the price back until two days after they originally said they would.

Reactions: commasign
Stopped in Tesla site and checked on Autopilot and now they want $3000 and $7000 for FSD.

Seems like a misunderstanding? The after purchase price when I bought in March was
AP: $3k now, $4k later
FSD: $5k now, $7k later

And it remained this way until they made AP mandatory on new cars. It appears AP price actually went down because (depending on when your took delivery) it should be $4k.

AP was $2k for a limited time only for those who didn’t purchase it back when EAP was offered.

IIRC it went back up because all the folks that paid more complained. Like dorks, Tesla didn't put that update on the blog (like they should have) Elon just tweeted it. Even then, they didn't actually raise the price back until two days after they originally said they would.

It went back up because it was a limited-time offer since they wanted to book AP/EAP/FSD income in 2019Q1. They extended it a couple of days after that, at least initially because they had some website problems.

It went back up because it was a limited-time offer since they wanted to book AP/EAP/FSD income in 2019Q1. They extended it a couple of days after that, at least initially because they had some website problems.
That is fair. Though they still should have pointed out that the sale was in fact a temporary one (they are making the same mistake with the new Performance S/X offer). Especially since not everyone follows Elon's tweets (or apparently read TMC everyday).

• Love
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
Seems like a misunderstanding? The after purchase price when I bought in March was
AP: $3k now, $4k later
FSD: $5k now, $7k later

And it remained this way until they made AP mandatory on new cars. It appears AP price actually went down because (depending on when your took delivery) it should be $4k.

AP was $2k for a limited time only for those who didn’t purchase it back when EAP was offered.

There has been definitely a subtle but important change in packaging these features.

You are correct - when I bought the RWD Partial Premium SR+ in late March for $37.5k and picked it up early April, I was offered $3k for EAP and $5k FSD at the time of purchase. This was when both these were optional. I bought the $3k EAP. It came with TACC, Auto-Steer/braking, Lane Change, Summon, and Parking assist.

In the second week of April, a couple of things took place - a) they removed the RWD Basic SR (non-plus) trim altogether and b) they baked in a $2k AutoPilot and increased the price of Partial Premium RWD SR+ to $39.5k. The math checks out here.

However, in doing so, they removed the lane change assist, park assist, and summon - and moved those features under the FSD package (which is now being offered at $7K, and it is supposed to come with an even better "enhanced summon" and "auto park", no clue just how better it is - the full self-driving will be released in a few years). Thus, what is being offered today for $39.5k is a basic autopilot that has the traffic-aware cruise control (TACC) and auto-steer/braking, which is great. I couldn't care less about lane change, summon, and park assist for the perceived $1k difference.

Last edited:
when I bought the RWD Partial Premium SR+ in late March for $37.5k and picked it up early April, I was offered $3k for EAP and $5k FSD at the time of purchase. This was when both these were optional. I bought the $3k EAP. It came with TACC, Auto-Steer/braking, Lane Change, Summon, and Parking assist.

This is incorrect. EAP has always been $5k when purchasing up front right up until they stopped selling it in late February. Details here: Summary of changes Tesla announced on 28 Feb 2019 : teslamotors

When they redid the packages and moved the features around as you described, they stopped selling EAP entirely (for new deliveries), dropped the word “enhanced” and just called it “autopilot”, and priced it at $3k. Check your MVPA—I bet it doesn’t say “enhanced” anywhere.

I took delivery on March 23rd and EAP was already retired by then. My choices were down to Autopilot and FSD.

Reactions: VQTRVA
This is incorrect. EAP has always been $5k when purchasing up front right up until they stopped selling it in late February. Details here: Summary of changes Tesla announced on 28 Feb 2019 : teslamotors

When they redid the packages and moved the features around as you described, they stopped selling EAP entirely (for new deliveries), dropped the word “enhanced” and just called it “autopilot”, and priced it at $3k. Check your MVPA—I bet it doesn’t say “enhanced” anywhere.

I took delivery on March 23rd and EAP was already retired by then. My choices were down to Autopilot and FSD.

I see. Help me out here then please.

Model 3 autopilot

Is this the Autopilot or something more? I paid $3k for this. I took these screenshots from my car right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7

Yep. I took delivery on 3/24 & the only option to pre-purchase was AP & FSD.

Afterwards, on-line was still same for $3K & 5K.
There was a short 1-2 week window in March - early April that it was on sale for $2K & $4K.
Missing that hurt but knowing they lessen the AP's services by shifting some service to FSD: lane change, summon, and park assist - made outcome not too bad.

Reactions: Scott7
I see. Help me out here then please.

Model 3 autopilot

Is this the Autopilot or something more? I paid $3k for this. I took these screenshots from my car right now.

I believe even though Tesla's description of the features of AP has changed online, the software has yet to catch up and still provides the features of EAP. I'm expecting that eventually lane-change, summon, autopark, and NOAP will be removed for AP only vehicles in a future update.