Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot at night -- not great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my Model 3 in June. Recently had my first long drive at night. Autopilot was a *sugar*-show. Autopilot at night is markedly different from in the day.

It hugs the white line, so it trys to exit at every exit. Phantom braking was every 5 minutes or so and was slamming on the brakes. Finally I gave up on it.

Does Autopilot just not work at night?

Bought my Model 3 in June. Recently had my first long drive at night. Autopilot was a *sugar*-show. Autopilot at night is markedly different from in the day.

It hugs the white line, so it trys to exit at every exit. Phantom braking was every 5 minutes or so and was slamming on the brakes. Finally I gave up on it.

Does Autopilot just not work at night?
Sounds like you need to get it checked out, mine worked just the same as in the day prior to the Beta release

AP works usually really really well with 2 lane markings and still really well with 1 and sometimes does a stellar job with no markings.

the only exception to this is when there is a right turn lane with an arrow where i notice it sometimes swerves around 30cm into the turning lane before swerving back onto the main lane.

I'm seeing frequent phantom braking events on my vision MY as well, primarily at night. My theory is that the headlights are blinding the cameras. This happens on both AP and TACC. Country backroads and highways are the only times I'm using AP and TACC all other times. I've asked Mobile Service to check it out when they install my Homelink next month, otherwise I'll have to schedule a Service Center visit later. To add to this, every now and then I'll get a message that my left pillar camera is blinded at night, but I'm thinking this is attributed to dark roads and non-reflective road lines causing the MY to not fully see lane markings. Doesn't seem to correlate with the braking events since these occur at the start of my early morning drives and clear up after a few miles with no error messages at the upper right corner of my screen. I'm also currently on 2021.36