Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot braking error ... not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot on M3 with 2019.8.1
For the second time now, I had to manually brake to avoid crashing into a car in front of me while on autopilot. This has only happened in the morning (in LA around 7:30-8:30a) and both times it was a white car in front of me. I was travelling east I believe both times. I thought the new M3s have both radar and camera? If only camera I would think it's an error due to the sun angle and color of the car, but with radar as well how would that happen?? The first time I thought it was just some random fluke (albeit an uncomfortable one for someone who is looking forward to FSD), the second time it's definitely not a fluke, but wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

This post didn’t contain enough information for me to conclude if the system is operating as designed or not. What speed were you traveling and what was the other car doing? If you’ve read the manual you will know there are several situations that the system can’t handle.

How do you tell the difference between a stopped car and an overpass with radar?
Good question Daniel. I guess you mean how would the Tesla radar do that. I can't answer that question specifically as I haven't looked into the design of the Tesla radar. My experience with radar is in other areas and frankly 10 years outdated. Maybe someone else can mention the type.

But as a general rule, radar can determine the difference from ground objects and overpasses if it is a scanning electronic beam type. Meaning, the same way that older airport radars used to determine altitude of aircraft (elevation above the ground). Clearly a stopped car shouldn't be 14 feet above the ground :D Also, such radar beams need to be narrow and very high frequency to get granularity.

Now that you mention it, my curiously is peaked. I'm going to ask a bunch of questions next week. I'm wondering what type of radar is in the Tesla.

Good question Daniel. I guess you mean how would the Tesla radar do that. I can't answer that question specifically as I haven't looked into the design of the Tesla radar. My experience with radar is in other areas and frankly 10 years outdated. Maybe someone else can mention the type.

But as a general rule, radar can determine the difference from ground objects and overpasses if it is a scanning electronic beam type. Meaning, the same way that older airport radars used to determine altitude of aircraft (elevation above the ground). Clearly a stopped car shouldn't be 14 feet above the ground :D Also, such radar beams need to be narrow and very high frequency to get granularity.

Now that you mention it, my curiously is peaked. I'm going to ask a bunch of questions next week. I'm wondering what type of radar is in the Tesla.

Tesla was previously using Radar technology from German Manufacturer Bosch, but moved to Continental AG from AP 2.5 and forward. There is a reddit thread on this here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...anybody_confirm_if_and_when_tesla_changed_to/

Plenty of specifications available on Continental AG's website: Continental Automotive

Wouldn’t AEB have kicked in at that point or the other feature (can’t remember the name) that slows the car down when going at slower speeds and you get too close to an object?

Only if it sees the car. And the detection exceeds a confidence threshold. And various other criteria to prevent phantom braking are not triggered, presumably.

In this case, though, it is hard to know from the description whether it is a case of an untracked object (was OP coming up on stopped traffic? Autopilot is NOT intended to stop in these cases; as the manual clearly says, it does not have that capability...). So in this specific case, the detection may have been working just fine, and it was just a case where EAP will hit the object in front due to design & software/processing limitations. Must have 100% attention on the road and full control of the vehicle at all times when using EAP.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Was there a large semi in front of the car? I had a situation last week when EAP was engaged. I was in the middle lane following a semi. A small car pulled in between us and my car didn’t pick it up. I had to disengage because my car got too close and it was only showing the semi on the screen.

I had a similar experience recently. I was driving East on the 210 Fwy in the HOV lane. Traffic was moving at around 35-40 mph. Everything stopped suddenly in front of me and I waited just a 1/2 second to see what the car would do. I then applied the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS system and stopped with plenty of distance to avoid a collision (half a car length?). Not sure the car would have stopped in time without my intervention. The car behind was not paying attention and I watched helplessly as she skid towards the rear of my M3. She swerved left onto the shoulder against the center divider and her passenger side mirror gently tapped my driver side mirror as she skid to a stop. It was just enough contact to cause the slightest vibration in my mirror and left no mark. I immediately looked up and thanked the powers that be for my rescue. Neither of us had to call our insurance companies that day. The point is that I really want FSD to be a real thing and I have supported it with my money. But, as long as there are others out there who are not playing in the same sandbox, I'm not sure the system can work as a whole. As more smart EV's hit the streets maybe those HOV lanes will become "Smart Car Only" lanes. Until then, I am always at the ready to assume my driving responsibilities.

I waited just a 1/2 second to see what the car would do

Yikes! That half second made it a lot more likely that you would get rear ended. Glad you escaped.

This is one of the weird transition zone cases where AP can make driving less safe - an attentive driver who knows they have to stop because they do not have AP/TACC on will brake much sooner than in the same situation, with AP engaged. And that earlier braking without AP reduces the chance of a rear end collision. If you have adequate following distance you can even flash your brakes at traffic behind to give them a heads up that traffic is stopped, as you are slowing down.

Of course, AP will also undoubtedly prevent some accidents in the case of an inattentive driver. (Though it will also sometimes fail in those cases.)

Last edited: