Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I bought a Model S last month that comes with the default autopilot (I did not pay for the Enhanced autopilot). After a couple of days a 30 day trial started and I have been enjoying autopilot capabilities that went away today. I called Tesla and they said I should bring it to a service center to do a manual calibration (I had expected them to ask me to pay to renew the trial). I am not sure what is the difference between the default autopilot and the enhanced one. Does the default autopilot also have the adaptive cruise control and lane maintenance, that “blue lane sign popping up” (this has been very helpful to reduce my commute stress). What is enhanced about enhanced autopilot that you pay extra for?

Reactions: PrGrPa
...“blue lane sign popping up”...

Teal/blue colored icons for speed, steering, and lane markers means you have Autopilot that costs extra.

If you didn't pay extra for Autopilot, you'll get standard features below:

1) Automatic Emergency Braking

2) Front Collision Warning

3) Side Collision Warning

4) and of course, traditional cruise control, not an adaptive one.

"Enhanced" means you got Autopilot hardware 2, AP2 and above, not plain Autopilot that has Autopilot hardware 1 or AP1.

Hi, I bought a Model S last month that comes with the default autopilot (I did not pay for the Enhanced autopilot).

I am not sure what is the difference between the default autopilot and the enhanced one. Does the default autopilot also have the adaptive cruise control and lane maintenance, that “blue lane sign popping up” (this has been very helpful to reduce my commute stress). What is enhanced about enhanced autopilot that you pay extra for?

To be strictly accurate there is no such thing as "default Autopilot". EAP is the name given to differentiate the systems based on hardware 2.0 and 2.5 versions from the original AP [a.k.a. version 1] which relied on a single MobilEye forward-facing camera, a Bosch radar sensor and 12 short-range ultrasonics.

If you bought the car new then it already has the latest HW2.5 sensor suite (8x cameras, 1x Continental radar sensor, 12x longer range ultrasound sensors), but not necessarily the software activated to employ them all for ordinary driving tasks.

That is where the $5000 option for EAP comes in, which the 30-day trial let you test out.

Activated EAP principally adds traffic-aware cruise control (TACC) and Autosteer, which together are generally called Autopilot, i.e. "the adaptive cruise control and lane maintenance" you found so destressful.

New features of EAP such as Navigate on Autopilot and Smart Summon have recently been, or will shortly be, introduced. The former somewhat automates overtaking and highway exit/interchange and the latter will use all cameras for remote parking manoeuvres, in addition to the ultrasonics.

I'm not sure what Tesla are talking about with the "manual calibration"; maybe it means they will renew the trial on goodwill due to some defect during the first 30 days? Otherwise, without coughing up the extra chunk of dough, the car will revert to just having non-adaptive cruise control and the emergency features Tam listed, which sounds like what you *really* do not want to happen :D

Last edited:
Like folks have said, enhanced autopilot (EAP) provides some neat features:
  • Traffic aware cruise control (TACC) - adaptive cruise
  • Staying in lane
  • Following the road - Car will follow highway curves and meandering lanes
  • Lane change on indicator - car will automatically change lane when safe when you operate the indicator
  • Navigate on autopilot in the USA - car will suggest lane changes to maintain speed and allegedly join and exit the highway
  • Blue lane markers on the dash panel
  • Auto speed limit adherence based on GPS information
. Without the extra payment the driver assistance features are limited. Very limited. When my radar unit needed recalibration after a software update I couldn't make it to the service centre for a few weeks. The Model S was still great to drive, but I missed EAP. It makes a real difference to enjoying trips. And it also makes for some interesting surprises off the motorway. But that's another story.

Ignore the 'in the future your car will' type stuff on the Tesla website. Nice ideas. Looking forward to them. Just not expecting them according to any specific schedule.