Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
One huge issue I have with Autopilot is how it hugs the left side of the lane, most of the time. It's makes me nervous during highway turns with another vehicle in the passing lane. My Model 3 sees the other vehicle, yet doesn't center itself in my lane. And this just happened today where there were concrete construction barriers to my left and guide rails on the right. The sensors saw both but because the car hugged the left side of my lane the display showed grey and even red at times, but my car would not center even when the right side of my lane was open and didn't have guide rails. I don't understand why this isn't fixed yet.

And now I've noticed Navigate on Autopilot doesn't want to get out of the passing lane, even when the cruising lane is empty. For whatever reason it gets stuck in the passing lane, even though the sensors don't see any traffic and even show the correct road lines, so it's not blind.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

One huge issue I have with Autopilot is how it hugs the left side of the lane, most of the time. It's makes me nervous during highway turns with another vehicle in the passing lane. My Model 3 sees the other vehicle, yet doesn't center itself in my lane. And this just happened today where there were concrete construction barriers to my left and guide rails on the right. The sensors saw both but because the car hugged the left side of my lane the display showed grey and even red at times, but my car would not center even when the right side of my lane was open and didn't have guide rails. I don't understand why this isn't fixed yet.

That does not sound normal. It should center itself in the lane. Does your AP always hug the left lane all the time or just that one time? If it is hugging the left lane all the time then you might have a camera issue.

Reactions: DanCar
That does not sound normal. It should center itself in the lane. Does your AP always hug the left lane all the time or just that one time? If it is hugging the left lane all the time then you might have a camera issue.

I've read that autopilot seems to favor the left side of the lane. As I said, mind does it mostly when the highway turns. Doesn't do it on straight highway and t's not a camera issue. Either way, when the proximate sensors show an object near it and the other side is clear, the computer should tell the car to move over.

I got my car last Thursday and I have been using "navigate on autopilot" for my commute to and from work, especially on heavy traffic in 101 hwy. Here are few observation/concerns I noticed.
1) Autopilot keeps suggesting to change lane to HOV lane , I had to cancel it few times on a same trip.
2) When exit was around 1.5 miles and I was on 2nd right lane, it suggested a lane change to right, I confirmed with a turn signal. Right lane was bumper to bumper, so it just completely stopped on my lane blocking the traffic. I had to cancel autopilot to take back control.
3) In another case, it suggested a lane change to right and i confirmed, it immediately started going to right lane , even though the guy on the right lane was speeding , I had to immediately cancel it, otherwise it would have hit the other car on the right.

Please let me know how is your experience. Any tips or tricks would be great.

...1) Autopilot keeps suggesting to change lane to HOV lane , I had to cancel it few times on a same trip...

In the configuration icon, you can uncheck the HOV box to turn it off permanently until you will decide to recheck that box again.

...completely stopped on my lane blocking the traffic. I had to cancel autopilot to take back control.

It's still a new feature so human intervention is expected.

...i confirmed, it immediately started going to right lane , even though the guy on the right lane was speeding , I had to immediately cancel it, otherwise it would have hit the other car on the right.

It's your call. The program now is implementing aggressive lane changing so it is not for the faint-hearted.

Please let me know how is your experience. Any tips or tricks would be great.

Since it is still beta, I would learn its behavior and blend it with my own driving style as well.

I mix the styles, I turn on/off Navigation as often as needed to fit my style.

I have had my Model 3 LR RWD w/FSD since 18 Nov 2019 and have Software Version: 2019.40.2.1. On my one long freeway trip here in the Netherlands, I fell in love with Autosteer. BUT, I notice one failing that happened several times, which perhaps members can provide some insight into. Autosteer worked flawlessly/predictably except as follows: I am happily driving at 100km/h in the slow lane while being overtaken by dozens of vehicles in the fast/left lane. Then one car passes by, and my Model 3 instantly drops out of Autosteer into Autopilot/TACC. I can immediately re-engage Autosteer, but it seems that the car has responded to some "signal" from the passing car. The only thing I can imagine is that some signal from my car got reflected back, or that the sun reflected from the other vehicle (but not much sun at the moment in northern Europe...) in just such a way that was interpreted as an event appropriate to cause the drop out of Autosteer.
Has anyone else had this experience?

I have had my Model 3 LR RWD w/FSD since 18 Nov 2019 and have Software Version: 2019.40.2.1. On my one long freeway trip here in the Netherlands, I fell in love with Autosteer. BUT, I notice one failing that happened several times, which perhaps members can provide some insight into. Autosteer worked flawlessly/predictably except as follows: I am happily driving at 100km/h in the slow lane while being overtaken by dozens of vehicles in the fast/left lane. Then one car passes by, and my Model 3 instantly drops out of Autosteer into Autopilot/TACC. I can immediately re-engage Autosteer, but it seems that the car has responded to some "signal" from the passing car. The only thing I can imagine is that some signal from my car got reflected back, or that the sun reflected from the other vehicle (but not much sun at the moment in northern Europe...) in just such a way that was interpreted as an event appropriate to cause the drop out of Autosteer.
Has anyone else had this experience?

Are you sure you didn't accidentally turn the wheel just enough to drop out of autosteer? I find this sensitivity can vary sometimes and occasionally I cancel autosteer when I didn't intend to. Cars passing by at the same time is a coincidence.

In the configuration icon, you can uncheck the HOV box to turn it off permanently until you will decide to recheck that box again.

It's still a new feature so human intervention is expected.

It's your call. The program now is implementing aggressive lane changing so it is not for the faint-hearted.

Since it is still beta, I would learn its behavior and blend it with my own driving style as well.

I mix the styles, I turn on/off Navigation as often as needed to fit my style.

@Tam, yes, I switched off HOV lane. And yes getting used to the lane change feature, I confirm lane change only when I am comfortable.

Mine is a Nov build and it also likes to hug the left side of the lane. The picture even shows that it's hugging that line so I don't think it's a camera issue but rather in the software.

But on a side note, I picked up the car just a week ago and on the drive home it was raining during the camera calibration. Wonder if that has anything to do with it? Just curious, but is there a way to redo the camera calibration?

Luckly there is an easy work around.

I switch to manual when in construction zones with concrete barriers on my left and guard rails on my right :(.

Leave Autopilot to the easy stuff. Feel more relaxed to take my own control in the difficult and dangerous stuff.e