Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Cruise Broken and Unsafe by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.44.10.1 allows you to set Autopilot speed adjust to your current speed.

I just drove 200+ miles on Autopilot from Ventura County to Barstow and back yesterday and Autopilot worked flawlessly.
Yes, just got it, now fixed and returned to the original setting.

BTW I love my Tesla and wouldn't go back to another car, but the response here has been rather dramatic.

Perhaps people can like something and wish to improve it, or report unsafe features, without attack?

Reactions: Tres_Azul
OP- You probably already know, but.. If you do the right thumbwheel press, you can quickly give a verbal bug report of experience. Although, I don't know if that works the same in all areas of the world, or how much attention to those bug reports receive from support/engineering.

In the USA, unless you buy off menu SR, you are forced to only have TACC / AP.
(...not even sure that regular SR has true 'dumb' cruise control anymore, as I've seen people complaining of strange slowdowns, presumably caused by hills/grade changes in their SR, on reddit.)

Anyway... Even when you disable the hot garbage that is AP, you still have the same TACC, with all the random phantom braking and unwanted speed changes that come along with it. Even when I literally begged the service center staff, they would not disable TACC on SR+ or above trim level. Therefore OP's gripe is correct, owners are forced to only have 'beta' cruise control on nearly every Telsa ever sold in the USA. IMHO, it is 100% BS. I want a thing that works correctly, at the speed I chose, every single time I use it. TACC & AP cannot deliver on that yet.

PS- 2020.44.10.1

I am very happy about the new option to set cruise at current velocity! yay! :) Now if it would just maintain that speed, lol.

AP still cannot maintain appropriate lane position through a >65mph sweeping curve on a 4-lane northbound freeway with proper markings in a major US metro. No phantom braking from last two versions, but I also have yet to drive during the sunrise/sunset hours where I have experienced the phantom brake events most commonly. (my hypothesis is long perpendicular shadows combined with radar reflections from overpass= the phantom braking I most commonly experience when commuting north/south to /from work.)

BTW I love my Tesla and wouldn't go back to another car, but the response here has been rather dramatic.
I'm sorry for dramatic response (dramatic times call for dramatic response...). My AP failed many times when I tried to use it under conditions not recommended by Tesla (like construction zones), and I would not consider those failures a SW defect by Tesla. It is a current limitation of SW and not a defect. If you think it is a defect you should try to reproduce and record it, then contact Tesla service center and make an appointment to fix the defect. Sorry for the dramatic response again but I find the OP and its title "Autopilot Cruise Broken and Unsafe by Tesla" truly dramatic.

Reactions: M109Rider