Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot dangerous behaviour passing intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot uses only lane marking to determine car path. FSD also uses a database of stored maps, which the car places itself in, by recognising landmarks, signs, kerbs and using GPS. So FSD, when implemented fully, can navigate non-lane marked roads. Autopilot cannot and will not..

If an intersection does not have marked lanes going clearly through it. You should disable autopilot before crossing the intersection. Leaving autopilot on, could see your car enter and exit the intersection in a different lane, and swerving suddenly to do this.

Autopilot is and will always be Level 2 Automation. This means it is no more than a driving aid, and the driver is always responsible for safe navigation.

Treating Level 2 Automation as FSD will end poorly.

Under what circumstances. I've not noticed that happening.
Mine consistently indicates right if I engage AP after merging onto the highway here

Which is very annoying because I need to take the next exit after 1km

And doubly annoying because I can't indicate right again to cancel the indicator (which I'm used to doing on roundabouts) I have to indicate left.

So I mostly avoid AP there now.

I assume it's something to do with the Speed Based Lane Changes part of NoA but I don't have NoA enabled so it shouldn't be indicating on its own.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter