Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot dangerous behaviour passing intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed quite often that the Autopilot would be impacted by the "turning guidelines" when I drive straight through an intersection - eg see photo below. It seems that it recognises the guideline as a sort of lane lines and keep wanting to turn left to "follow" it, resulting in very sudden turn to the left right in the middle of the intersection which is very dangerous as I could hit the car in the lane on my left. In my experience it seems to occur about 30% of the time. Does anyone else experience this behaviour? Anything possible to remedy this?

1685153943783.png

It veers off across intersections even when there are no turning lane lines. It is not meant to be used in city streets. I don't use it unless the road is straight and has no intersection.
There is no statement in the marketing material (when buying the car) within the tesla australia website that it is not meant to be used in city streets…but by all means correct me if I missed it.

There is no statement in the marketing material (when buying the car) within the tesla australia website that it is not meant to be used in city streets…but by all means correct me if I missed it.
As far as I can see, there’s no statement about the auto steer component of autopilot at all in the marketing material. It doesn’t break it down into the different components of autopilot. It doesn’t mention city vs highway driving. All it says is that autopilot (encompassing all the different components of this suite) assists the driver. To assume you get all components when you buy the car or that it can be used in all circumstances would be wrong.

There’s a link to the manual from the main marketing page. The manual clearly says “Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver.”

When I bought my LR, I selected specific areas of the user manual to read. One of them was AP and I clearly remember the instructions about where and how to use it. I've done it this way with all my car manuals many of which are the same size as Tesla's. There are things a new owner should read and others that are only needed if something goes wrong or there is puzzlement about "how do I do XYZ?" If AP is a new feature you have not had in a car before, surely you would read up about it (user manual, forums et al).

So I really don't have a problem with these sorts of statements being missing from the marketing material. When we bought our Zoe, there were a number of things in the user manual that NEVER worked in Australia (e.g. remote access and setting for charging). That was upsetting. If Tesla said AP was for use in cities then I would also be upset because I know it cannot cope.

if you are required to read a 276 page manual before purchasing
But you’re not required to read it. It then neither should you make an assumption that Autosteer works on city streets when the “marketing” web page doesn’t even mention Autosteer as a feature of the car. The webpage just refers to Autopilot in general, and doesn’t specify what that includes. If you are interested in this, then it’s up to you to find out more information either by reading the literature or asking a sales rep.

Reactions: SPadival
Screenshot_20230528-173028.png

Screenshot_20230528-172950.png

Though when purchasing a tesla it does not mention what features are included in basic autopilot it does have a broad list of what is included in Enhanced Autopilot and FSD Capability. Note that is explicitly says that autosteer on city street is an upcoming feature of FSD and it should be easy to infer that autosteer on city streets is not included in basic autopilot. Or anywhere yet in Australia.
If unsure of each feature, and if this is important to you, I think referencing each feature in the owners manual, available online, is not that onerous.

But you’re not required to read it. It then neither should you make an assumption that Autosteer works on city streets when the “marketing” web page doesn’t even mention Autosteer as a feature of the car. The webpage just refers to Autopilot in general, and doesn’t specify what that includes. If you are interested in this, then it’s up to you to find out more information either by reading the literature or asking a sales rep.
The website clearly says this, and every road I drive on has lanes. Every tesla comes with autopilot as standard. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been using autopilot since the day it arrived in australia and know its limitations. If tesla do not intend autopilot’s use at all on laned city roads than they should disable it on those streets

Autopilot's advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving.

Autopilot enables your vehicle to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane. Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capability introduce additional features:

Last edited:
I have noticed quite often that the Autopilot would be impacted by the "turning guidelines" when I drive straight through an intersection - eg see photo below. It seems that it recognises the guideline as a sort of lane lines and keep wanting to turn left to "follow" it, resulting in very sudden turn to the left right in the middle of the intersection which is very dangerous as I could hit the car in the lane on my left. In my experience it seems to occur about 30% of the time. Does anyone else experience this behaviour? Anything possible to remedy this?
To answer your question, yes I’ve had exactly the same thing consistently at an intersection where I join the highway. It grabs the line I’ve circled and veers toward it violently when coming toward it from your red line. There’s no remedy other than to not use AP at the intersection. I’ve had it get lost at most intersections with similar line markings, but there is one particular one in Melbourne that’s very bad.

56485302-4697-4B77-B42D-2389067F3ABF.jpeg

Reactions: Futuretech
I'm not sure where you're seeing this. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong web pages.

scroll down almost to the bottom.

also from the manual;

if you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed and the touchscreen displays a message indicating that speed is restricted. The restricted speed will be the speed limit of the road plus 10 km/h.

Last edited:
Oh I see. I was looking at the Model Y page. I'd thought the descriptions would be the same. In any case, I think the wording still excludes that illustrated intersection. The wording says "within its lane". Clearly, there are no line markings in that large intersection so this feature wouldn't work.
Sorry edited my post after yours, but in any case I never go through major intersections on city streets using autosteer. Sounds more dangerous than using it on a straight road waiting for the brakes to slam on.

Yes, it happens all the time. Under our road rules, driver assistance features like cruise control and autopilot may be used, but you as the driver are still responsible for what the car does. That means switching it off in many situations, and holding onto the steering wheel in most situations. As time goes on, you'll learn exactly which intersections & which lanes approaching those intersections will cause problems.

We're running on an old version of the software. I imagine it'll get sorted out in the new FSD stack.

And speaking of Belconnen, one thing that seriously causes me grief is headed eastbound through the Glenloch Interchange (from William Hovell Drive to Parkes Way). Google Maps has separate road names for every possible approach and through ramp, and autosteer fires off indicators in different directions, that are very difficult to cancel, at about 5 spots through the interchange, every time the ramp or road name changes in any way.

Reactions: Leeroy and Loxmyf