Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Got 11.4.7 last night & went for a test drive today. Had 11.4.4 before. 11.4.7 failed three times in 2 miles or less. Why bother with updates?

1) First failure was at a construction zone in which traffic was running one-way with flaggers, and my lane was moved to the left lane. The vehicle started to follow the cone-defined path, then suddenly steered to the right into the cones and near where the flagger stood. I took over immediately. The vehicle didn't hit the cones. I sent in a bug report on this.

2) Second failure was at an intersection with an on ramp for I-5 N. Instead of maneuvering into the left turn lane before the intersection, the vehicle continued straight to go thru the intersection, then stopped at the intersection as if it wanted to make an illegal left turn in front of other cars to stay on its planned path. Another take-over. The vehicle wouldn't let me make a bug report on this. This behavior has been a long-standing problem with both 11.3 and 11.4, and I've reported it many times.

3) It once again tried to use a white-line-defined shoulder to make a right turn at a traffic light intersection. This is also a long-standing 11.4 problem.

That's enough FSD beta testing for this version.

I did notice that the side camera white-balance had improved as compared to the rear camera, which I believe has had very good color rendition. The rear-facing side cameras' showed reds and greens better than before.

I reported elsewhere that the autowipers are acting up again as of this version. Really unbelievable given the history of autowiper problems.

Reactions: beachmiles
I guess in 11.4.7 they're testing the new "automatic emergency braking for occupancy network output", at least that's the only change in the release notes. So if you try to crash into some barrels or something it might brake. This is actually a really scary thing to ship, because if it hallucinates some point cloud out of shadows on the road, your car will brake even during manual driving.

3) It once again tried to use a white-line-defined shoulder to make a right turn at a traffic light intersection. This is also a long-standing 11.4 problem.
I don't think that is a problem/bug, it is a specific feature that they added. (And as far as I know is perfectly legal in most, if not all, states, as long as you aren't leaving the pavement.)

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't think that is a problem/bug, it is a specific feature that they added. (And as far as I know is perfectly legal in most, if not all, states, as long as you aren't leaving the pavement.)
The problem is that there are frequently elevated sidewalks at the intersections in these situations, and the vehicle will not detect them.

So the actual problem is not handling elevated sidewalks correctly? I'd be curious to see what those look like, as I'm not sure that we have any of those in my area.
You’ll find them in suburban freeway exits and other suburban/rural areas. Also, the shoulder isn’t wide enough, but the vehicle will try to pass cars on the right. Not a good situation overall.

No it's not legal to drive on the road shoulder, seriously?
I've never heard of a state law that makes it legal to drive on the shoulder, it's only for emergency stopping. Sometimes there are signs that explicitly allow it, like for ferry lines or it transforms into a temporary lane during rush hour. Just like rolling stop signs, it might be customary for folks to use it to bypass traffic and make turns, but you can technically get a ticket if some cop sees you and is below their quota for the month or something.

Just like rolling stop signs, it might be customary for folks to use it to bypass traffic and make turns, but you can technically get a ticket if some cop sees you and is below their quota for the month or something.
Nobody is talking about driving on it to bypass traffic, but you can move over into it as part of a right turn.

Nobody is talking about driving on it to bypass traffic, but you can move over into it as part of a right turn.
FSD uses it to bypass traffic, that's the problem that OP is having. I've encountered the same issue, it's crossing a solid white line hundreds of feet before a right turn lane starts. It's super dangerous, folks who are going to turn right don't expect to encounter a car to their right going down the shoulder.