Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, AP is somewhat intelligent and at the same time can be incredibly thick
it knows the speed limit from map data and reading road signs, slows down for bendy roads
it won't blindly match the car in front speed if starts accelerating faster than the speed AP has been engaged at
it will slow down and maintain following distance you've set if the car in front slows
Currently it wont slow down if it starts raining, you have to manually reduce the speed
If your on the motorway and the speed limit drops from 100kmph to 80kmph the detected speed limit will change but AP wont slow down until you instruct it to do so. This hasn't been enabled for NZ yet, not sure why
If lane markings disappear AP has a tendency to want to take the middle of the lane
AP wont change lanes if you want to overtake a slower car you have to disengage change lanes and engage AP again

Once you start using it you soon learn what situations AP can handle and those it can't, when to disengage preferably before your crew decides to mutiny
and never get in the car again. Driving with foot poised over the accelerator ready to counter phantom braking becomes second nature

Both Audietron and myself have FSD which has a few bells and whistles AP doesn't have
Currently off the motorway FSD won't turn left or right at traffic lights or stop signs etc, it will only follow the road it's on
That's currently in beta testing in the US

Radar was dropped as that was deemed to be the cause of phantom braking
As is with so many relationships Tesla was unable to reconcile the two so it's divorce and onward with vision getting full custody
and Radar band from seeing either FSD or AP....
I guess time will tell if FSD and AP are going to be ok with Radar not around
NHTSA is not helping by getting involved and demanding a blow by blow breakdown of what went on
when things must still be a bit raw, Radar hasn't been gone all that long
Well, dropping the radar was the big mistake... because today right after that intersection on motorway, where car nicely turned right with little help on FSD, but slower than auckland drivers patiance for sure, after crossing the bridge, I was to take left for Mt Roskill, so car was waiting on red signal... then signal for going straight starts and voila... I saw that Phantom face to face, car simply jumped, started a little trying to go forward before realising that there is a car in front, if I wasn't staring on the screen I was thinking it's glitch, but I saw that cars next to me started moving on screen, and as multiple cars were moving - for some reason screen show a Van coming in opposite direction for a fraction second, either real ghost car ( 😂 ) or software glitch marking moving Van other way around, and that is what triggered my car to jump, more like car was scared for safety from approaching non-existent vehicle.

I believe this is the combination of two major mistakes....
1) no RADAR/LIDAR/SONAR to detect automobile objects... these technologies are war grade mature and everyone knows that we humans spent most our past and fortune on warfare research. that said, it doesn't detect humans as effectively, one of the reason my previous car (Audi A8L) was using combination of vision and Lidar/Sonar, vision for suspension, human detection, and night vision.
2) real time processing of vision images bound to have those one in million moment when other car is momentarily marked wrongly or suspected to be moving faster/slower than it is... combination of illusion (like human eyes) and software logic/perception - deadly combination of magic used for centuries by magicians.

So using only vision is like expecting computer to be as efficient as human brain... I believe we are far from there.