Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Increased in price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading a posting in the main tesla site in which members mentioned the price of autopilot had increased by $500 without any mention from Tesla. I thought I would check the tesla uk site an it's true the price has now increased in the uk by £400 to £2600 or £3k if enabled after receipt of the car. On my order placed at the beginning of August it was £2200 so looks like I got the order just in time. I imagine the increase in cost is for the autopilot 2.0 hardware. If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

Based on the info from Electrek the price increase for autopilot (600 euro) could only be for 2.0 hardware.
Any ideas on the retrofit price ?

This has been discussed widely, no one is that sure a retrofit option will be available, with many suggestions and ideas but naturally no one knows, its a guess at best.
AP 1.0 was not a retrofit then I believe and nothing suggests AP 2.0 will be either, except Model X seems to have extra space for lots and lenses at the front, nothing at the rear.

For threads I have read it seems that AP2.0 is very unlikely to work with current 7.x software, so would need Version 8 ... and thus new hardware could not be released (i.e. fitted to vehicles "before formal announcement") without Version 8.0. Thus seems unlikely that this has anything to do with AP2; people may have advanced orders on 9 month lead time (at old price); people with existing orders without AP, i.e. planning to upgrade after purchase [to save tax], are being told that old AP price will be honoured for them, etc.

I reckon its "just a price increase" representing the market value for the product that Tesla think it will stand.