TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot interfering with phone calls?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Phantom_Frog, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Phantom_Frog

Phantom_Frog Member

I am a new Model X owner. I took delivery on Tuesday morning but I have been having an issue with my iphone x working over bluetooth.

I have read lots of threads were owners are having problems with iphone x's and an apple watch messing with the bluetooth in the Tesla.

I know that there are a lot of variables.

But since I have taken delivery of the car I have noticed something very strange- my bluetooth audio will be working fine until I engage autosteer. When I engage autosteer, the caller at the other end of the line cannot hear me. I can hear them, but they cannot hear me.

I have experienced this about 5 times and I have even tried this with my apple watch turned off and had the same result.

I called the tesla rep and he recommended that I do a reset. I will try that tonight. But I wanted to check and see if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Thanks

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

How are you turning off the watch? Airplane mode? Just want to be sure the LTE radio (it's a GEN3, right?) is off.

A better test may be to just leave the watch at home for a test drive.

What exactly did he recommend you reset? The MCU with the scroll wheels?

Frankly, there have been no reports of AP interfering with phone BT, so the first thing to have tried was a MCU reboot.

• Like x 1
  3. bonnie

bonnie I play a nice person on twitter.

@Phantom_Frog -- I've been driving an X for over a year & never had a bluetooth / AP conflict. Nor have I seen any reports about that. (Apple Watch, iPhone 8)

• Informative x 1
  4. boaterva

Thanks, @bonnie! And I have to add, I've also had a Gen2 Watch and iPhone 8 Plus in my X for six months. They aren't the kind of things that talk to AP. I'd just reboot the MCU. :D

• Like x 1
  5. Phantom_Frog

Phantom_Frog Member

Sorry I should have clarified, that I tested it by putting the Apple Watch on Airplane mode. Same problem.
    Then I left the watch at home. Same problem.

It is a First Generation watch.

He instructed me to reset the MCU with the scroll wheels.

6. boaterva

#6 boaterva, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Yeah, that pretty much proves it. A reboot should reset the BT module and you should be fine. Let us know how it goes! And in the future, as with a PC, it's one of the first things to do. :D

7. Phantom_Frog

Phantom_Frog Member

Ok I am thinking I may have a bigger problem, my car won’t reset when I hold down the scroll wheels. I need to do some more research...

8. muleferg

muleferg Supporting Member

I had some issues with my model X about 3 month ago with my mcu not coming on. it would take forever to boot up. I went to the service center and he asked me if I had a usb with music. I did and he said to remove it and it would work. No issues since.

9. viper1619

viper1619 Member

I experienced the same issue with inability to scroll-wheel reset. Called Tesla and they said technicians were looking into it, no ETA fix yet.

3/2018 X100D
    MCU2

I was attempting to reset because sound, Bluetooth audio and the web browser all stopped responding.

I never ended up hard-resetting since functions came back after our lunch/charging break.

10. Phantom_Frog

Phantom_Frog Member

I have the exact same model
    3/2018 X100D
    MCU2

I still cannot get the issue fixed, so I called Tesla support and was able to demonstrate the problem over the phone. They made a case number and said that they will get back to me. But it still has not been resolved yet.

Vioer1619- even though you don’t need to, are you able to reset with the scroll wheels? Mine is still unresponsive to that method.

11. boaterva

This is a first. Are you in the car with doors closed, in Park? Don’t touch the brake, that’s not needed. Just push both scroll wheels (the trackball knobs) in until the MCU turns black and release.

What does it do?

A USB in the slot with music can interfere with booting but that’s not ‘can’t reboot’. Can’t reboot sounds like it doesn’t respond to the command at all.

12. Phantom_Frog

Phantom_Frog Member

I do not have a USB drive in the car.

I can confirm that I have tried it with the car in park and all doors closed and no brakes. And nothing happens when I hold the scroll wheels. The car does not respond at all.

I had another phone call to Tesla Service today and they are going to push the new update to my car tonight to see if that helps. They told me that the new update will fix a lot of touch screen bugs.

I really hope that helps.

13. boaterva

There have been reports of reboot issues with MCU2. Which is a whole different animal, sad to say. So, have to see what Tesla can do. You’d think that would be a basic part of testing!

14. viper1619

viper1619 Member

Negative, I am entirely unable to reset with the scroll wheels.

A few days after my post, my MCU2 (larger) screen became frozen (but surprisingly, still responsive... I could hit the climate power button and while it wouldnt change, airflow would start. Clock was stuck on the large screen, but kept going on the dash screen).

After some deliberation, I ended up doing a 12v pull (disconnecting the 12v battery, disconnecting (unplugging) the first responder's loop. Took some effort but allowed it to restart and fix my problem when nothing else would (including the E-Brake and Power Off).

• Informative x 1
  15. viper1619

viper1619 Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    After removing the fascia around the frunk (left, right and front black panels that just pop out), I removed the frunk liner (disconnecting the two LEDs) by removing the 10 bolts. Unscrewed the ground (black connector on the right of the battery) and then unplugged the red loop in the last picture.

You'll notice there's a black connector bolted to the frame under the red loop... before removing the frunk, I tried just unbolting that and then removing the loop but it didn't reset as I expected, so I went full throttle with unplugging the black wire on the 12V battery.[​IMG]

16. boaterva

Don’t know where you hosted your graphics but none showed up.

17. viper1619

viper1619 Member

Sorry, noob status here.

Pictures below: IMG_20180404_201210.jpg
    IMG_20180404_201224.jpg IMG_20180404_201235.jpg

18. boaterva

Thanks! The loop disconnect is to kill high voltage, not the 12 VDC. So, yeah, I'd expect that you'd need to go all the way to disconnecting the (12V) battery itself. Not exactly recommended, as sometimes things don't come back all by themselves!

Hope they fix the MCU2 software so it can be 'normally' rebooted soon!

19. viper1619

viper1619 Member

Would it have reset the systems with just the 12v disconnect? Ha, looks like I've got to do more research before jumping face first into the car.

Btw, that air filter...ENORMOUS!
    IMG_20180404_195128.jpg

20. boaterva

That was a reboot, since you can't reboot the MCU from the steering wheel on MCU2 cars. I've also seen comments (maybe only on the 3) that the power off switch on the menu doesn't do anything to reboot since the car comes right back up immediately.

It looks like MCU2 S and X do reboot from pulling 12 VDC power. Until we hear different. :D

The airfilter/Bioweapon Defense Mode is most of why the frunk is smaller on refresh cars.