Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot slowing when passing trucks on highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be solution if car wouldnt be able to speed over 140 km/h while mildly pressing throttle. Problem while being in plaid mode is that only the smallest pressure on throttle is needed (Im talking about 1-2 cm on throttle; you need to be extremely precise) for me to break the limit and lock my autopilot for rest of the drive and its tiring to do it every 20-30 seconds.
Have you tried complaining directly to Tesla? Complaining here isn’t going to accomplish anything, this isn’t a Tesla Support forum.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t raise the issue here, but now that you know your car is working as intended, you can try to get Tesla to change the behavior, live with the problem, or get a different car.

Reactions: zivac87
I was trying to see if its possible to disable traffic aware cruise control and use it as most basic cruise control and I got many helpful answers from you.

As @MrBadger stated, it started happening lately with newer update so I was not sure if it was bugged or I was doing something wrong or enabled something suddenly.

You can see it acts completely normal in this video (M3 but it shouldnt matter)

Is it best to pass this information through my local Tesla service center or through other method?

They will surely need to revert it soon, but if they wont, Ill drive mostly by myself or limit my Autopilot at 130 km/h as its my only real complaint about this car.

Last edited:
A few days ago I was going 80 mph in the center lane. As soon as I get between 2 slower vehicles on the left and right of me it slowed from 80 mph to 71 mph. I wasn't sure if it's phantom braking or Autopilot is being careful.

I've noticed that Autopilot have a hard time determining the exact location of a semitruck. It tends to jump all over the place when I get close to them. It's possible that Autopilot thought the truck was entering your lane because it has a hard time locating it.
I believe that it is only the visualization that looks flakey.

In general, I think that if a car doesn't make you comfortable with a certain part of it, just don't use it. There will never be a perfect car for everyone who expects or needs certain behavior in every type of situation. I had BMWs for years before my Tesla, and the cruise control and other features, including the navigation, were so unintuitive to use, that I never used them, and I was fine with that.

In general, I think that if a car doesn't make you comfortable with a certain part of it, just don't use it. There will never be a perfect car for everyone who expects or needs certain behavior in every type of situation. I had BMWs for years before my Tesla, and the cruise control and other features, including the navigation, were so unintuitive to use, that I never used them, and I was fine with that.
While my wife has gotten better, she used to generally hate large trucks. She'd either stay way behind at a slow speed or pass it a max acceleration She hated being near one.

So yes, it definitely has personal preference.

I just tend to ignore the truck and keep going.

Reactions: enemji
I suspect they will "fix" this somehow pretty quickly. I'd venture to guess there are many millions of miles of roads that have different truck/lorrie speeds compared to passenger vehicles. This slow down is a pretty big deal in my mind with a LOT of people around the world, especially in Europe/China.
You are in Ohio and If I remember correctly you do have split speeds. But you are in the minority in the US AFAIK as I remember in my travels through most of the states.

Reactions: KArnold
I think you re totally clueless to the situation. Its not just autobahn speeds, its any motorway speed. What you are suggesting makes Tesla not fit for the European (or probably many other) market so they can wave bye bye to a huge number of sales. Its a new behaviour, iirc 2023.6.x.
This is not a new feature, it was already featured in the manual for the Y when I got mine last year.

It's designed to prevent the problem, common to many dumb cruise controls, where you go belting up past a slow moving lane of traffic that has slowed due to congestion or an upcoming junction etc and put yourself at significant risk of hitting someone pulling out of that lane ahead of you.

• Informative
Reactions: enemji
This is not a new feature, it was already featured in the manual for the Y when I got mine last year.
Indeed, that feature has been around for a long time but that is not what is being described here. This is new behaviour. The feature you describe is for when there is a solid queue of traffic but this and other recent reports seem to reference passing a single large vehicle and not a queue of vehicles as you describe.

When the functionality that you describe occurs it is often accompanied by chevrons being displayed to identify the lane of slow moving traffic. This can also incorrectly occur adjacent to a motorway on ramp where a merging lane, even if separated by chevrons, is added to the main motorway but not yet quite travelling at full speed. The car on main motorway will then suddenly reduce speed to match the speed of merging traffic - from experience, it’s not pleasant but thankfully rare and normal ‘phantom braking’ mitigation techniques help.

Reactions: zivac87
Indeed, that feature has been around for a long time but that is not what is being described here. This is new behaviour. The feature you describe is for when there is a solid queue of traffic but this and other recent reports seem to reference passing a single large vehicle and not a queue of vehicles as you describe.

When the functionality that you describe occurs it is often accompanied by chevrons being displayed to identify the lane of slow moving traffic. This can also incorrectly occur adjacent to a motorway on ramp where a merging lane, even if separated by chevrons, is added to the main motorway but not yet quite travelling at full speed. The car on main motorway will then suddenly reduce speed to match the speed of merging traffic - from experience, it’s not pleasant but thankfully rare and normal ‘phantom braking’ mitigation techniques help.
Ah, ok. I thought that was what you were describing but perhaps this is something different I’ve not seen yet.

I mean you are right and I would completely agree with you, but Tesla is considered pinnacle for AI driving and safety. When I bought my car i didn't expect perfect panel gaps, paint, auto wipers and high beams like my previous German cars, because I dont rate them as highly as many other factor where this car excels in, and it is still best car I ever owned, by big margin.

But still, I was expecting best in class experience for adaptive cruise control on highways (not asking for much IMO). Especially because it was amazing when i first received the car.

But still, I was expecting best in class experience for adaptive cruise control on highways (not asking for much IMO). Especially because it was amazing when i first received the car.
For me, with my only other experience being BMWs for the last 20 years, the adaptive cruise control IS much better in user experience and the car is a joy to drive. I paid $6k in order to have Auto Lane Change and NoA, and maybe parking. My car, and I understand that it's not everyone else's experience, excels at those. My Tesla has made driving fun again...could I ask for anything more?

Reactions: Mullermn and Dewg
For me, with my only other experience being BMWs for the last 20 years, the adaptive cruise control IS much better in user experience and the car is a joy to drive. I paid $6k in order to have Auto Lane Change and NoA, and maybe parking. My car, and I understand that it's not everyone else's experience, excels at those. My Tesla has made driving fun again...could I ask for anything more?
That is exactly my point, I KNOW it is much better experience for you, and car is joy to ride, but why they suddenly decided to cripple it for us Europeans??