Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AUTOPILOT (Quick Reference)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone explain?

You are used to ap1 and don't like different .

I have an ap1 model s and a model 3 with app, and I find ap2 to be overall better than ap1. It's different but once you get used to its overall better. Definitely better at curves and reading faded lines. And lane changes seem to have higher confidence and are done quicker, like I wld do them. Others may prefer the slower leisurely ap1 lane change.

I have a 2017 MX and will take delivery of a M3 in a few weeks.

Autopilot (in the MX) is a bit scary in some situations. Most of all is when you are driving on roads that are not well traveled. Country roads it will only travel at 45 mph. It drives like a first time teenager driving with Dad. Very cautious this is a good thing.

Where the autopilot does work well is heavy slow moving interstate traffic. Stop and go traffic works great... Driving on well traveled interstate where you are not changing lanes, works great.

I suspect autopilot is a learning system, I feel it is uploading info to Tesla (computers) and the cars are learning too drive the roads. Each time someone travels in autopilot I believe the system uses that autopilot section to make the next trip even better. Correct me if I am wrong on the learning/upload scenario.

Something that scares me about the M3 is there are no levers or buttons to push on the dash. (I love the look) I feel its going to be too big of a step for most people to adjust to when they are driving a Tesla for the first time. I have learned in my MX and it seems like the M3 maybe a little daunting with all the controls on the screen with multiple layers to find the function you desire.

I think Tesla should set the cars up when the new owner takes delivery to a “simple, medium and advanced” mode for new owners. This would restrict owners from certain options on the control panels.

Autopilot is very powerful and should not be taken lightly. Remember you are driving a car not running a video game you will not be able to reboot and start over. You dont get a second chance. You should drive your car as if you were driving your ICE car and learn over time how the Tesla system works. It is no way perfect so dont put your life into a computers hands, not just yet...

Thanks
Tony

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
We have a Model S with Mobileye Autosteer, purchased about 3 years ago (1914 model?), and recently picked up our Model 3 (Vin...3008). The Autosteer does not function as well as that on the S, and I'm curious why. When the 3 wanders toward the edge of freeway lane, the corrections are more abrupt, and on many occasions the car wanders over the land divider. Cresting a slight rise on a flat road with or without curves has been an issue for the S, but seems to be more of an issue for the 3.

Was Tesla deprived of the software used with Mobileye at the time of the divorce, and do the post-Mobileye S's suffer from the same issues as my 3?

Together with the lack of fingertip activation and cruise speed adjustment on the 3, the above issues make autosteer and cruisecontrol less convenient, and consequently less useful and I find myself using them less on the 3. A disappointment, when I was hoping that the post-Mobileye autosteer on the 3 would be improved over our S.

Can anyone explain?
What happened was that Tesla had to basically re-write the AP software from scratch when they dropped Mobileye's hardware used in AP1. So this set back autopilot quite a bit and AP2 only recently caught up to where AP1 has been. Elon said recently that a significant update is coming soon and it sounds like it will mainly increase competence not add new features.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Being new to the EV world and expecting my Model 3 (APR-JUN 2018), I have been
gaining as much knowledge as possible about the Model 3 (Auto Pilot). I have compiled
a (Quick Reference) which I will keep in the car and view as needed.
If your new to EV World like myself, I hope this Quick Reference will be of help to you.
If your a OLD TIMER EV USER, please check my Quick Reference Info, and please let me know if
you find any of my info is incorrect.
Wow! Great job Iasdoug!

What happened was that Tesla had to basically re-write the AP software from scratch when they dropped Mobileye's hardware used in AP1. So this set back autopilot quite a bit and AP2 only recently caught up to where AP1 has been. Elon said recently that a significant update is coming soon and it sounds like it will mainly increase competence not add new features.
It sounds like the S and X are now getting that update in 2018.10.4. Hope it makes its way to the M3 soon!

Being new to the EV world and expecting my Model 3 (APR-JUN 2018), I have been
gaining as much knowledge as possible about the Model 3 (Auto Pilot). I have compiled
a (Quick Reference) which I will keep in the car and view as needed.
If your new to EV World like myself, I hope this Quick Reference will be of help to you.
If your a OLD TIMER EV USER, please check my Quick Reference Info, and please let me know if
you find any of my info is incorrect.

1 PAGE VERSION of AUTO PILOT (Quick Reference)
1.jpg
T (Quick Reference)

• Informative
Reactions: fseir