Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Random Steering Jerk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my M3P has randomly been jerking to right while autopilot is engaged. It been seems to “bounce” off right lane line. It is absolutely terrifying.

I took it in and Tesla fixed my alignment. Which made no sense to me, but whatever. It happened again and then Tesla adjusted my steering calibration. They were unable to duplicate.

Sometimes it’s on the highway, sometimes a regular two lane road. Usually there are no cars, items, potholes etc around me.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be or how to isolate and make predictable?

I had that exact same thing start happening right after I got my car updated to HW3. Spooky scary stuff. I made a service appointment, and they asked for time stamps of when it happened. I took it in, at first they said they were just going to do an alignment. I guess they took it out on the highway during the test drive, and the problem occurred again, they then wanted to keep it for 2 more days to try other things. I ended up getting a second HW3 computer - apparently the gyro chip was bad on the first one.

So: OP - make a service appointment. Record time stamps of when it happens. Also save video clips and send those. @FullSizeRender: don't worry about it, this is an extremely rare problem.

I've only used AP a couple of times while I take time to get used to the car, but my 2021 M3 does the same thing. The second I engage AP it quickly jerks to the left. I agree with OP, it is quite terrifying. Both times have been on the 55 in OC.

Congratulations on your new car! The car does try to center itself in the lane when AP is turned on. Perhaps you have a tendency to ride a bit to the left normally? Try engaging AP when you know you're over to the left side of the lane already. If it still veers left, you may have a calibration problem, or maybe a badly aimed camera. Are there any issues once autopilot is already engaged (what this thread is about)?

Recently my M3P has randomly been jerking to right while autopilot is engaged. It been seems to “bounce” off right lane line. It is absolutely terrifying.

I took it in and Tesla fixed my alignment. Which made no sense to me, but whatever. It happened again and then Tesla adjusted my steering calibration. They were unable to duplicate.

Sometimes it’s on the highway, sometimes a regular two lane road. Usually there are no cars, items, potholes etc around me.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be or how to isolate and make predictable?
I have a 2022 Tesla Y that I took delivery less than a months ago. When I engaged the cruise control, the car jerked suddenly for no reason. I luckily was able to grab onto the steering wheel and regained control. This is very very concerning and dangerous. Please be aware of this problem and I just sent in for a service request. THIS IS SCARY!
It happened to me a few times as I was trying to understand what is the problem. Do NOT use the cruise control if you are not sure!