Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was coming home yesterday evening and decided to try out FSD with the family in the car since I hadn't used it in a while. There is a car in front of me stopped at the light and a car next to me in the left lane going about the same speed. As we slow down to about 5mph and approach the car in front of me the model 3 just suddenly jerks the wheel 1/4 turn left (directly towards the car also slowing down next to me) then immediately corrects and stays in the lane. This happened on a 3 lane road on a slight curve to the right with us in the center lane. I immediately disengaged and drove myself the rest of the way home. Any idea whats going on here? Have others experience similar? It was unfortunate because my wife had just complimented how well it was driving having been unimpressed in the past.

Reactions: beachmiles
Behavior at extremely low speeds can seem very jerky. Yes, it does this all the time, but as you noticed, it jerks it back just as quickly. The reason is that at low speeds, to make even a small correction, you need to turn the wheel quite a lot. A human driver would just probably just ignore the fact that it's not perfectly centered in the lane, whereas FSD really wants to be in the center. I guess it's just one of those things you have to anticipate and get used to.

Behavior at extremely low speeds can seem very jerky. Yes, it does this all the time, but as you noticed, it jerks it back just as quickly. The reason is that at low speeds, to make even a small correction, you need to turn the wheel quite a lot. A human driver would just probably just ignore the fact that it's not perfectly centered in the lane, whereas FSD really wants to be in the center. I guess it's just one of those things you have to anticipate and get used to.
I guess that makes sense, at 5mph it takes a big wheel adjustment to center the car in the lane quickly. Not a fan of that happening with a car right next to me though... it is my required duty to grab the wheel quickly to avoid a potential accident so it is hard to get used to something like that.

I guess that makes sense, at 5mph it takes a big wheel adjustment to center the car in the lane quickly. Not a fan of that happening with a car right next to me though... it is my required duty to grab the wheel quickly to avoid a potential accident so it is hard to get used to something like that.
Yes, I understand. But it really is something you get used to (although it does remain annoying). Keep in mind that at such slow speeds, there is plenty of time before the you actually do get close to adjacent cars. Even so, when there is some kind of event where it seems like the car wants to get centered at a slow speed, I usually do disengage and center it myself before re-engaging, purely out of a desire to reduce the annoyance both for myself and adjacent cars. I am not worried about the car itself actually impacting the adjacent car though.

Reactions: Yelobird
Yep. It's another unrefined implementation and another example of where heuristic limits will always be needed. As much as possible there must be overall sanity, safety, comfort, to provide some driver confidence otherwise this thing is tits on a bull for mainstream consumers.

Reactions: RTPEV
Yep. It's another unrefined implementation and another example of where heuristic limits will always be needed. As much as possible there must be overall sanity, safety, comfort, to provide some driver confidence otherwise this thing is tits on a bull for mainstream consumers.
It does strike me as a tradeoff where I would rather be 2" off center in the lane at a stoplight rather than have the wheel jerked sideways on me out of the blue. Like I said in the original post, my wife has always been a little iffy on FSD but was actually impressed with how it drove that night until the wheel jerking incident. It was unfortunate that her confidence in the technology was killed by something kind of trivial like that.

Reactions: kabin