Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Reacted Late and Caused a Minor Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had AP at 4 car length and someone cut me off and scrapped my bumped while changing lanes. AP usually stops harsh in this situation, but 1 out of 100 times it didn't, and lead to an accident.

Other driver was undocumented without DL or insurance so luckily the damage was minimal. After I got home I buffed out using a Torq 10FX kit from Chemical Guys.

Attachments

• 20180626_204418.jpg
    20180626_204418.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20180626_213706.jpg
    20180626_213706.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 91
Sure! Just keep on blaming on the poor Autopilot :)

Being cut off in front or merging with another car is quite a challenge for Autopilot.

Hope it will improve this skill soon.

By the way, That's an amazing job on buffing out the white paint!

Last edited:
I had AP at 4 car length and someone cut me off and scrapped my bumped while changing lanes. AP usually stops harsh in this situation, but 1 out of 100 times it didn't, and lead to an accident.

Other driver was undocumented without DL or insurance so luckily the damage was minimal. After I got home I buffed out using a Torq 10FX kit from Chemical Guys.

If he managed to clip your bumper on a lane change, then he did his lane change way too close and way too fast. I don't think it mattered if you had AP engaged or not. He just plain hit you.

Nice buff job, though!

At what speed?

So, just out of curiosity, the undocumented, DL-less, uninsured accident causing driver had no consequence for their actions?

Good job on buffing out :)...for driving in SoCal ...since AP1 I set distance at 1....any greater distance and folks just cut you off ..I actually feel safer driving with 1 as distance

Last edited:
Reactions: TT97
I had a rental with AP1 and it would nudge the car when others get too close. AP2 stays dead center and would not budge. I think in this situation if I had AP1 it would move a little to the left to avoid the bump. Not sure though since I didn't have AP1 for long.

What happened today was we were going 13mph and the car in front of me changed lane to the left. This left a huge gap so my car sped up to 17mph while at the same time the car on the right was slowing changing lanes to get in front of me to occupy the vacant space. I slammed the brake after realizing the car was actually trying to speed up instead of slowing down.

Really wish there is a way to send logs and videos to Tesla. Afterall, this is Beta but we have no way to send feedback. Maybe we're not beta testers but instead early access users?

Sorry this happened. I almost always leave my AP at 7 and close gaps as needed by stepping on the accelerator.

Reactions: X Fan
Sorry this happened. I almost always leave my AP at 7 and close gaps as needed by stepping on the accelerator.

This is what sounds like happened with OP ...because AP had a gap greater than 1 ...his car accelerated(via AP) when the car in front changed lanes and another driver merged from the other side ..with distance at 1 you don’t have those gaps where cars cut you off ..that is just my experience driving in SoCal :)

I commute in SoCal traffic too.

- at AP set to 1 get more people trying to squeeze in and cut me off. They just close in on my fender (not even in front of me) they force in at my front fender so I have to jump on the brakes. Happens every day.
- at AP set to 3 there’s enough room for people to safely merge in front of me, but every so often someone will merge and aim for my fender causing me to jump on the brakes. (With so much room I don’t understand why they still desire to cut me off)

I wonder if others figure the car is self driving and will automatically stop/ slowdown for them? Because this kind of behavior does not happen if I am in my other cars.

Can’t wait for Elon to activate the dash cam software Incase someone actually hits me.

This is what sounds like happened with OP ...because AP had a gap greater than 1 ...his car accelerated(via AP) when the car in front changed lanes and another driver merged from the other side ..with distance at 1 you don’t have those gaps where cars cut you off ..that is just my experience driving in SoCal :)

This is just SoCal every day. I hope MadMax is out during the August/September update. AP is almost perfect and I have high hopes this fall that AP will be perfect on the freeway once they turn on a few more cameras. Does anyone know if the front wide angle lens is On or not with current software? Seems like AP's FOV is very narrow so I'm thinking the other front cameras are turned Off right now.

I had a rental with AP1 and it would nudge the car when others get too close. AP2 stays dead center and would not budge. I think in this situation if I had AP1 it would move a little to the left to avoid the bump. Not sure though since I didn't have AP1 for long.

What happened today was we were going 13mph and the car in front of me changed lane to the left. This left a huge gap so my car sped up to 17mph while at the same time the car on the right was slowing changing lanes to get in front of me to occupy the vacant space. I slammed the brake after realizing the car was actually trying to speed up instead of slowing down.

Really wish there is a way to send logs and videos to Tesla. Afterall, this is Beta but we have no way to send feedback. Maybe we're not beta testers but instead early access users?
From what I’ve heard, if you click the voice command button and say “bug report” then briefly describe the problem, it sends a brief clip of video and radar to Tesla so they can review it. I do this for any phantom braking so they can hopefully use the images for training the NN not to hate shadows in sunny Florida.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and sperkin
From what I’ve heard, if you click the voice command button and say “bug report” then briefly describe the problem, it sends a brief clip of video and radar to Tesla so they can review it. I do this for any phantom braking so they can hopefully use the images for training the NN not to hate shadows in sunny Florida.

THANK YOU!!!! I just tested it out in a parking lot and the screen confirmed the feedback. I will Google for a list of commands now. Since I have never used voice command before, I wonder what else is out there.

Sure you can dial it down to 1 but it’s way more relaxing set to 5 or 6.
People cut in front, but who cares?
If it’s worth that much to you to not have a few extra cars in front of you (about 20 seconds of time over a 1 hour commute) then don’t use autopilot.

Reactions: aronth5