Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Take Over Immediately and Phantom Slowdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been encountering a ton of AutoPilot disconnects (red "Take Over Immediately" error message with the loud beeping) and phantom slowdowns (set to 78 mph, and drops randomly down to 62 mph anytime there's even a tiny curve or change in elevation like going over a bridge) recently (since about 2019.16, currently on 2019.32). I drove from Orange County to San Diego today via the 5 freeway, and had around 40-50 disconnects/slowdowns. Is AP2.0 just starting to hit it's capacity? Or should I bring it into the service center? It works fine in slow traffic, but anytime I'm using AP at normal freeway speeds it just becomes a chore to use.

Phantom braking seems to be caused by either incorrect speed limits in the onboard speed limit database, incorrect lane detection (especially in areas where roads have recently been changed) or incorrect detection of an object in front of the vehicle (typically a rapid light-to-dark transition in the roadbed ahead).

The speed limit issue is primarily due to infrequent updates to the speed limit database - if Tesla is only updating this information every year or two - it won't pick up recent changes, especially in areas that have current or recent construction.

The lane detection is an issue when current or recent detection has caused lanes to be moved, added or removed - when the software believes you are located on an adjacent roadway or ramp, when you're actually in the mainlanes of a highway. Since the software is using the onboard navigation maps, and those have been updated every year or two, this is especially a problem in areas with recent highway construction.

The false detection of objects in the roadbed ahead is due to the onboard software not properly classifying the object ahead. The software is improving over time, though for safety, it's better for the software to slow down if it's not confident about classifying the dark area ahead as a shadow/roadbed color or a real vehicle. This has been improving over time - but understandable that Tesla wants to be more conservative with braking in these circumstances.

The issues with the onboard speed limit and navigation map databases is a significant flaw in the current software design. Longer term, the correct solution is for the software to act more like a human driver, and react to the actual road conditions, reading all traffic/speed limit signs, and detecting the lanes based on the visual input. Until then, unless Tesla shifts to providing up-to-date speed limit and navigation map data to all vehicles, we'll likely see this type of phantom braking.

Due to frequent slowdowns on area roads with current/recent construction, it's so bad, that it may be safer to drive without TACC/AP than to risk rapid braking in the middle of high speed highway traffic - especially when the current software is doing this frequently.

Wish there was a setting to disable automatic speed adjustments... At least until this is more reliable...

Reactions: totteraptor
I've been encountering a ton of AutoPilot disconnects (red "Take Over Immediately" error message with the loud beeping) and phantom slowdowns (set to 78 mph, and drops randomly down to 62 mph anytime there's even a tiny curve or change in elevation like going over a bridge) recently (since about 2019.16, currently on 2019.32). I drove from Orange County to San Diego today via the 5 freeway, and had around 40-50 disconnects/slowdowns. Is AP2.0 just starting to hit it's capacity? Or should I bring it into the service center? It works fine in slow traffic, but anytime I'm using AP at normal freeway speeds it just becomes a chore to use.

I had this exact issue. Turned out to be the front facing camera was angled incorrectly. Took it to the service center, got it back 2 days later and everything worked beautifully.

EDIT: Just to note, I wouldn't recommend mobile service for this. I initially had a mobile service appointment for it, but the mobile tech couldn't do anything. Seems to really require a brick and mortar service center.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
I had this exact issue. Turned out to be the front facing camera was angled incorrectly. Took it to the service center, got it back 2 days later and everything worked beautifully.

EDIT: Just to note, I wouldn't recommend mobile service for this. I initially had a mobile service appointment for it, but the mobile tech couldn't do anything. Seems to really require a brick and mortar service center.
Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and booked an appointment. On the 80 mile trip back I had 25 disconnects and 42 slowdowns. It's unbearable at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and booked an appointment. On the 80 mile trip back I had 25 disconnects and 42 slowdowns. It's unbearable at this point.

I know the feeling. I would have ~ 5 disconnects each way to/from work on my ~15 mile commute. Never tracked slowdowns beyond it being nearly constant, every single time I was approaching a bridge or on a curve while going over ~60mph. I didn’t realize it was connected until afterwards, but NoA was also waiting too long to take exits and then suddenly swerving into them.

I know the feeling. I would have ~ 5 disconnects each way to/from work on my ~15 mile commute. Never tracked slowdowns beyond it being nearly constant, every single time I was approaching a bridge or on a curve while going over ~60mph. I didn’t realize it was connected until afterwards, but NoA was also waiting too long to take exits and then suddenly swerving into them.

I have had a similar problem for about 3-4 months. The rapid slowdown seems to occur most often at dips in the road at highway speeds. Also sometimes disconnected completely as you said.

So, after scheduling a service appointment, I got a text and email requesting additional information. I sent them a list of times and places this happened and even videos I took of the problem. They ran remote diagnostics and told me it was "an issue with map data. Our engineering team is working to resolve... with OTA firmware updates and map updates."

They cancelled my service appointment, saying the problem could be resolved remotely. We'll see.

I have had a similar problem for about 3-4 months. The rapid slowdown seems to occur most often at dips in the road at highway speeds. Also sometimes disconnected completely as you said.

So, after scheduling a service appointment, I got a text and email requesting additional information. I sent them a list of times and places this happened and even videos I took of the problem. They ran remote diagnostics and told me it was "an issue with map data. Our engineering team is working to resolve... with OTA firmware updates and map updates."

They cancelled my service appointment, saying the problem could be resolved remotely. We'll see.

How often does that occur? For me it was slowdowns every 1/4 mile or so and disengagement’s about 4-5 times on my 16 mile commute. Disengaging on dips sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. I’m highly suspicious of their maps data claim.

Notably, it took a bit of pushing on my part, and a ride along from a Mobile Tech already with me for another issue to get them to not think it was just me not holding the wheel too long or exaggerating the issue.

How often does that occur? For me it was slowdowns every 1/4 mile or so and disengagement’s about 4-5 times on my 16 mile commute. Disengaging ons exactly like what I was experiencing. I’m highly suspicious of their maps data claim.

Notably, it took a bit of pushing on my part, and a ride along from a Mobile Tech already with me for another issue to get them to not think it was just me not holding the wheel too long or exaggerating the issue.

It use to occur frequently but not with a specific distance or time regularity. Now, completely resolved. Not sure if it was the V10 update or what they did remotely.