Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to deactivate TACC and use "regular, dumb" cruise control? Phantom braking & unexpected slowdowns

marvinat0rz

May 10, 2013
Norway
Wish we could get a line to Elon and just have him instruct the teams to insert a menu option to make the cruise control dumb. For my use cases, it's unusable. It will brake unnecessarily every 2 minutes or so on the (new! built in 2020) 4-lane highway I use most often, and cause either discomfort, distraction or a dangerous situation. I only ever use it if I'm practically alone on the road, and even then it will trigger all the time.

It's a sad state of affairs, but although Tesla has big ambitions in AI, that's the area that seems to be lacking the most. I absolutely love driving Teslas and will probably still get a MY at some point, but it's in spite of these inconveniences.

Here's what I want:

• Option to have a dumb cruise control
  • Either AI that turns recirculating on & off automatically when entering or leaving a tunnel, or controls for this on the steering wheel
  • Either automatic windshield wipers that work, or controls for this on the steering wheel
  • Voice control that works. Not voice control that hears "hindu swastika" when I say "wipers three", then interprets it as "satellite navigation off". Or turn the wipers up by 1 when I say "set wipers one".
Dunno if this is California climate vs. Norway climate, but we have a lot of road tunnels and rain! This stuff should be caught during testing.

Last edited:

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
As someone who has lived most of their life in Nor Cal and but also lived in So Cal (city of Los Angeles) for almost 4.5 years, we don't have that much rain the SF Bay Area. And, I'd say we have even less in LA.

As for tunnels, where I drive in the Bay Area, there are none. I do know of some like Caldecott Tunnel - Wikipedia but it's almost 70 miles from home and I can't think of a single time I've driven thru it. I found Category:Tunnels in the San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia but don't know how complete it is. Some of them like the Transbay Tube cannot be driven in.

Where I drove in LA also had few tunnels.

rt29781

Apr 14, 2021
Aberdeen
Hi I also have had multiple phantom braking events and at the weekend on a 500 mile drive it happened 4 times. Twice on the crowded M6 in rain at 70mph. There was no valid reason for the braking and it could have resulted in a very serious accident. I have reported this to Tesla and due to their “ relaxed” response I have officially reported the incident to the DVSA in the U.K. see Vehicle Safety Defect Report | DVSA

I would strongly urge U.K. Tesla owners that experience phantom braking to report it to the DVSA. This issue of phantom braking is very annoying and dangerous and really spoils an amazing car. My software version is 2021.12.25.7. I have read that newer software is more reliable but so far Tesla have refused to update my software.
I have received a response from the DVSA and they require evidence that TACC can be dangerous. I responded quoting the Norwegian example where a M3 was rear ended by a van and then that was hit by a lorry. (www.innherred.no/nyheter/2020/03/27/Tesla-på-autopilot-bråbremset.-Det-resulterte-i-kjedekollisjon-på-E6-i-Verdal.-21470184.ece) I used Google translate to decipher the text.

If any Tesla owners have examples of heavy braking being caused by TACC could you please reply to this post and I will pass your examples on to the DVSA investigator. The investigator is of the opinion that braking is mild and there is a warning. I refuted this claim.

Reactions: MovingSouth

usualsuspect

Oct 7, 2021
UK
I have received a response from the DVSA and they require evidence that TACC can be dangerous. I responded quoting the Norwegian example where a M3 was rear ended by a van and then that was hit by a lorry. (www.innherred.no/nyheter/2020/03/27/Tesla-på-autopilot-bråbremset.-Det-resulterte-i-kjedekollisjon-på-E6-i-Verdal.-21470184.ece) I used Google translate to decipher the text.

If any Tesla owners have examples of heavy braking being caused by TACC could you please reply to this post and I will pass your examples on to the DVSA investigator. The investigator is of the opinion that braking is mild and there is a warning. I refuted this claim.
I'm guessing the dashcam footage isn't good enough?
I find that I can guarantee a brake if, on a three lane plus motorway/highway, I move from the fast lane to the middle lane when there's a truck in the slow lane. The truck appears in red on the screen. It thinks the action on me changing lane is the truck coming to hit me! I now know to cover the accelerator when performing this action. The weather makes no difference.

Reactions: rt29781

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC