Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot updates on 2021 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I'm new to Tesla and eagerly awaiting my 2021 LR model 3. I'm confused about the autopilot features. I've seen some articles online that say that some features like summon and lane change are now part of standard autopilot but per the Tesla ordering site it seems to say that's part of full self driving. Anyone have the new Model 3 that can shed some light?

Thank you!!!

They are NOT part of standard Autopilot. It is just as listed on the Tesla site.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 3.26.07 PM.png

Hi everyone! I'm new to Tesla and eagerly awaiting my 2021 LR model 3. I'm confused about the autopilot features. I've seen some articles online that say that some features like summon and lane change are now part of standard autopilot but per the Tesla ordering site it seems to say that's part of full self driving. Anyone have the new Model 3 that can shed some light?

Thank you!!!

Maybe you could provide links or text from these articles that are saying that "summon and lane change are now part of the standard autopilot"?

This article lists autopilot features to include auto park and summon:

2021 Tesla Model 3- Expected Prices, Release Date, Range, Performance and Features

And this says autopilot and summon are standard.

Tesla Model 3: The Complete Guide

So you can see my confusion :)

I eyeballed both of those articles, but didnt see anything where it says "summon is standard" or "autopark and summon are standard". Since you read it in there, I would be really interested in seeing that in the article. You mind copying the specific text where you are reading that from the articles, in the block where you see it? I just have never seen an article that says that summon is standard

Autopilot is standard but it does not include summon (or lane change) and one of those articles is from car and driver, so It would be really interesting to see them get it that wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: Marius A
If you see the picture @JulienW posted, on the order page only Basic Autopilot is included (Autosteer and radar cruise control).

There's four tiers of Autopilot capabilities ever offered (technically 3):

None: No autopilot features of any kind is offered.

Basic Autopilot (Included on every Tesla since March/April 2019): Autosteer and Radar Cruise Control

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP, offered before March/April 2019 and briefly a few months ago): Basic Autopilot Features + Navigate on Autopilot + Auto Lane Change on highways + Autopark + Summon.

Full Self-Driving (FSD): Everything on Basic Autopilot + EAP, with Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control + current BETA city streets navigation (autosteer, turning on intersection, etc.)

I do wish Tesla would bring back EAP. I would be interested in the highway lane changing, but pretty much nothing else from FSD (or EAP for that matter). There's no way I'm paying $10k for FSD since I enjoy driving around town and watching current FSD videos also scares me with the amount of errors, close calls, and cringey driving in general that I see. I would probably pay $4k for EAP though, if given the option.

I eyeballed both of those articles, but didnt see anything where it says "summon is standard" or "autopark and summon are standard". Since you read it in there, I would be really interested in seeing that in the article. You mind copying the specific text where you are reading that from the articles, in the block where you see it? I just have never seen an article that says that summon is standard

Autopilot is standard but it does not include summon (or lane change) and one of those articles is from car and driver, so It would be really interesting to see them get it that wrong.
If you're not bothered to read just stay out of the discussion.
It says plainly in the article
"Autopilot and Summon are standard on Model 3s."

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
If you're not bothered to read just stay out of the discussion.
It says plainly in the article
"Autopilot and Summon are standard on Model 3s."

So, yeah you and this OP are right, these articles both say they are standard. I skimmed them before but both articles are long. With that being said, you are right. I should have read them carefully, since they both say "autopilot and summon are standard", although that car and driver article is not about 2021s because the date of the article is May 20th 2020.

So, OP, both of these articles say those features are standard, but they are not standard as we currently know it as tesla owners and enthusiasts. With that being said, tesla changes things all the time, but it would be hard to believe they would move those features into the standard autopilot.

But, yes, OP, I see exactly why you are confused.

This also cleared up some confusion for me about some of the features my LR 2021 Model 3 will be coming with.

The auto steer work on any road that has well defined lines, or just the freeways?

It will work on most roads will well defined lines, but you wont get stopping at stoplights or anything unless you buy FSD. I would highly (highly highly highly highly) suggest only using it on freeways at least until you have an excellent idea of what it does and MUCH more importantly, what it doesnt do.

Reactions: Pemple
It will work on most roads will well defined lines, but you wont get stopping at stoplights or anything unless you buy FSD. I would highly (highly highly highly highly) suggest only using it on freeways at least until you have an excellent idea of what it does and MUCH more importantly, what it doesnt do.

Sage advice. Certainly won’t use it off the freeway for at least a month or two. Thanks

I think it will be a while before I trust any of the "auto" settings but they sure are fascinating. Even having the capability is cool!
Yea at first he/she will be terrified when flying up behind a stopped car. It is extremely unnatural at first. Tesla probably reenforces the floorboard for newbies pressing the hell out of it.:D STOP Tesla STOP.:eek::eek:

It’s strange having a Tesla with fewer “autopilot” features than my Nissan Leaf (no I didn’t buy the $10k FSD). On the Leaf I can choose how far behind I want to follow traffic—1, 2, or 3 car lengths, but on my Model 3? No choice at all. I had FSD for three months but it scared me so often it wasn’t worth using—swerving every time I passed a freeway exit, swerving toward the oncoming traffic when I engaged it before settling in between the lines, waiting far too long to begin braking for cars stopped ahead, until my wife refused to ride with me unless I promised not to engage FSD. Then the big kicker, the car tried to barrel through a roundabout at 50 plus mph before I stomped on the brakes! You would think that roundabouts, common in many states, would at least be recognized, but no, no sign of any slowdown whatsoever. I’m sticking with human driving myself.

It’s strange having a Tesla with fewer “autopilot” features than my Nissan Leaf (no I didn’t buy the $10k FSD). On the Leaf I can choose how far behind I want to follow traffic—1, 2, or 3 car lengths, but on my Model 3? No choice at all. I had FSD for three months but it scared me so often it wasn’t worth using—swerving every time I passed a freeway exit, swerving toward the oncoming traffic when I engaged it before settling in between the lines, waiting far too long to begin braking for cars stopped ahead, until my wife refused to ride with me unless I promised not to engage FSD. Then the big kicker, the car tried to barrel through a roundabout at 50 plus mph before I stomped on the brakes! You would think that roundabouts, common in many states, would at least be recognized, but no, no sign of any slowdown whatsoever. I’m sticking with human driving myself.
Yes, there is a choice on how far behind you want to be when on auto-pilot. Once in AP, push right thumb wheel to the right or left. Increases or decreases distance to car in front of you. Here is the page from the owners manual

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905-201939.png
    Screenshot_20210905-201939.png
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 88