Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosocks on Rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the owners manual, chains are suppose to be mounted on the rear wheels. Does anyone know if Autosocks have to be on the rear as well? or are front ok?

Is it overkill to have it on the front and rear?

Thanks.

I've read that autosocks should be used for both front and rear as they provide less grip than chains do. I have also seen autosocks getting severely torn after a use or two. So if you want something longer lasting than a single season, chains would be it.
amazon.co.uk has the same chains as Tesla's. Search for Maggi Trak 4x4LT51. Amazon jacked up the price severely due to winter, but they were on sale before winter hit for a lot less than Tesla's store.

I've read that autosocks should be used for both front and rear as they provide less grip than chains do. I have also seen autosocks getting severely torn after a use or two. So if you want something longer lasting than a single season, chains would be it.
amazon.co.uk has the same chains as Tesla's. Search for Maggi Trak 4x4LT51. Amazon jacked up the price severely due to winter, but they were on sale before winter hit for a lot less than Tesla's store.
yes but if you only have two they should be on rear for safety.

Mine are in frunk, never used in California for 2.7yrs skiing. Having them will answer the question if I have them. Someday I might have to put them on the rear,

We drove through the Donner Pass Christmas eve with just Continental's DWS06 all seasons and it was fine. The chain control folks know these cars are AWD. The traction control has kept us in line up there so far, even on some icy roads.

There's less clearance between the wheel and suspension components up front vs in back, hence the recommendation for chains on the rear tires only. The Autosocks are much thinner, but could still get caught up in the suspension up front.

I only bought a pair for the rear in case we ever get caught in severe weather up the passes here. Just went up the mountains last week and had no problem on packed snow and ice with only all-season tires (with plenty of tread left).