Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer indicator icon not straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed yesterday when I engage autopilot on the highway, the icon on the dash that shows the yoke is not straight, like the alignment is off. My actual yoke is straight and the car is going straight though. Just the icon is tilted to the right a bit.

Is that just how it is, or is there perhaps a hidden alignment issue? I'll try to get a picture of mine today, but the attached screenshot shows the icon I'm talking about.

autopilot icon alignment.png

pay attention to the icon while you turn, it turns with the car.

Is your alignment good... with AP off (obviously) drive in a straight line is the wheel square to the ground, and if you let go of the wheel does the car track generally straight. Note though if the road isn't flat or if you slightly applied some angle it'll track in that direction.

Also don't piss away your money getting an alignment from Tesla, find a local shop that knows what they are doing and get them to do it, I don't mean firestone, pep boys, or the like I mean an Indy shop. If you're in So-Cal i highly highly recommend 714 Tires in Westminster they've done a few alignments on my tesla and its $125 for a 4 wheel alignment. I literally drive there 3 hours each way to get them to align my car

Mine is tilted ever so slightly as if I’m turning right. Curious what others see here. I haven’t noticed it turn when it makes turns on the highway.

Don’t think my alignment is off either as the car goes straight when my yolk is square “straight”

Mine was off to the right when driving straight and when on autopilot. Took it back to Tesla to fix the alignment (two weeks after delivery) and within an hour, I was out. Zero charge. And then showed me the diagnostics that the alignment was certainly off. No issues since.

Reactions: Baloo11
Mine was off to the right when driving straight and when on autopilot. Took it back to Tesla to fix the alignment (two weeks after delivery) and within an hour, I was out. Zero charge. And then showed me the diagnostics that the alignment was certainly off. No issues since.
Interesting, and your only error was that your little autopilot wheel was slanted and they took you in?

Did not even see / look at the indicator. I could tell from the yoke.

I had the same issue in my Raven Model S in 2019. And the Tesla logo was the dead give away on that.
Helpful, I'll pay closer attention to the yoke orientation when driving next time - my autopilot icon is definitely slanted. Alignment wouldn't be impacted by non-OEM winter tires right? I just dont want them to reject looking at it because I dont have their factory summer tires on.

Helpful, I'll pay closer attention to the yoke orientation when driving next time - my autopilot icon is definitely slanted. Alignment wouldn't be impacted by non-OEM winter tires right? I just dont want them to reject looking at it because I dont have their factory summer tires on.
Definitely is visible with the squared nation of the bottom of the yoke. I find it hard to believe that non-OEM tires would cause the issue, but I am not an automotive expert by any imagination.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to schedule another service...

Reactions: cwanja