Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD front motor sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit concerned about this myself with my AWD coming, though the RWD test drive had no signs of it for me.

Sensitivity to these high frequency sounds varies a lot, and not entirely age related (damage over the years can add up but isn't guaranteed to happen).

The roughly 14KHz whine coming off some cathode ray tube computer monitors ( yes I'm that old :p ) would at times really bother me when most people couldn't even hear them. Not all of the monitors, but I could walk a cube farm and find the one that was "defective" and emitting at a volume I could hear.
I get my AWD on September 10th. But I'm over 50 so I guess I don't have to worry about this. Back in the 1980s the spinning VCR drums or something else inside would drive me nuts especially when I was trying to enjoy the VHS Hi-Fi audio of the mid 80's.

Is it really louder than an S?!

I have a 2015 Model S P90D loaner now (Tesla is buying back my model 3, many paint problems all over....).

AWD on S Very noticable sound over the model 3 RWD, but I kind of like it....I’m thinking of upgrading to AWD for new model 3 now because I like the driving experience of dual motor now that I got used to it. But definitely don’t want it to be even louder or more annoying...

Is it really louder than an S?!

I have a 2015 Model S P90D loaner now (Tesla is buying back my model 3, many paint problems all over....).

AWD on S Very noticable sound over the model 3 RWD, but I kind of like it....I’m thinking of upgrading to AWD for new model 3 now because I like the driving experience of dual motor now that I got used to it. But definitely don’t want it to be even louder or more annoying...

My 3D is substantially louder than my 75D.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
I just got my car yesterday so I haven't been paying too much attention to that yet... but def here a high pitch wine from the rear under hard acceleration... the front from what i remember nothing too noticeable

I also notice high-pitch whine from the front at highway speeds, right after taking delivery at Fremont hub on Friday, Aug 31. Will have SC take a look to be sure if it's normal.

Please report back - I ended up not talking with them because I had to have a mild argument with the service writer to admit that my misaligned rear bumper should be looked at right there vs body shop (I was right, it was just an unclipped clip)... anyway curious as to what they say

Variability of experiences with front motor noise is interesting. My refreshed 2016 S 75D has lots of front motor noise; it is especially bad (intrusive) around 50 mph. The San Diego service center has pronounced it as 'normal' on two occasions. It goes off lease this month so I haven’t pushed the issue.

My Model 3 LR is silent, for which I’m very grateful.

In a brief test drive of a Model 3 Performance, I didn’t notice any front motor whine, but maybe I was distracted by the acceleration!

Just took delivery of my 3DLR saturday and this is actually my first post. I do hear a consistent motor whine upon brisk acceleration and also during re-gen braking. It felt like it was coming from the front motors more so than rear. What I noticed was its ability to give me the Tron vibes. I have so far accumulated 150 miles since picking up the car on Saturday. Will report back on other oddities. Car is a joy to drive so far.

I hear occasional noise and/or high-pitched beeps(?) from the front engine of my P3D. Honestly do they make AWD cars that don't make some kind of noise from the front though? Anecdotally, there's an older Model S that goes down my street and his front engine is way louder than mine.

I guess I take that into context and never really thought about whether or not it 'bothers' me since I assumed most of them do this.

I hear occasional noise and/or high-pitched beeps(?) from the front engine of my P3D. Honestly do they make AWD cars that don't make some kind of noise from the front though? Anecdotally, there's an older Model S that goes down my street and his front engine is way louder than mine.

I guess I take that into context and never really thought about whether or not it 'bothers' me since I assumed most of them do this.
My AWD S75D is virtually silent, and the little amount of noise it does make is continuous whenever the wheels are turning. The thing that makes the Model 3 noise so obnoxious is that it comes and goes or "beeps" as some people have described it. It's clearly from the gear reduction having some slop in the way the gears fit together.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
My AWD S75D is virtually silent, and the little amount of noise it does make is continuous whenever the wheels are turning. The thing that makes the Model 3 noise so obnoxious is that it comes and goes or "beeps" as some people have described it. It's clearly from the gear reduction having some slop in the way the gears fit together.

Okay...so is this an issue with the engine - or an issue just for you? Meaning, does Tesla consider this standard (expected) noise, or are they willing to try and deal with it?

Searched and found this thread because I'm experiencing what I think is the same thing with my AWD Model 3. It's noticeable in the 35-45 mph range and it's like a high-pitched squeak that comes and goes with what I assume is the revolution of the motor. I wouldn't care if it was just a continuous noise, but as you said, the fact that it comes and goes or "beeps" makes it pretty annoying.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone gets any response or fix from the service center.