Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back from renting an ICE - M3 wins hands down except for blind spot warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alstoralset

Man from another place
Nov 23, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I ust spent a week in a rental Nissan Maxima. The M3 crushes it in every way, except for implementation of blind spot warning.

The Maxima has LEDs near each mirror to indicate blind spot status, which I didn't find profoundly useful. But, when a vehicle was in or approaching the blind spot, and I signaled, the car emitted a pleasant (not jarring) chime.

I would much prefer this implementation to the M3's, which requires an actual lane change before an audible warning.

I know, I know, I know about looking down at the screen, checking mirrors, etc., but driver workload and risk would be reduced with this simple change, IMO.

Make the pre-turn chime optional and off by default, and everybody wins!

I ust spent a week in a rental Nissan Maxima. The M3 crushes it in every way, except for implementation of blind spot warning.

The Maxima has LEDs near each mirror to indicate blind spot status, which I didn't find profoundly useful. But, when a vehicle was in or approaching the blind spot, and I signaled, the car emitted a pleasant (not jarring) chime.

I would much prefer this implementation to the M3's, which requires an actual lane change before an audible warning.

I know, I know, I know about looking down at the screen, checking mirrors, etc., but driver workload and risk would be reduced with this simple change, IMO.

Make the pre-turn chime optional and off by default, and everybody wins!

Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alerts are the two big misses with the Model 3. The good news is that they can fix the blind spot monitoring. They could alert like you say before changing lanes. They could also pop the camera left or right feed up on the display when you put the respective blinker on.

RCTA is a lost cause since they do not have the rear radar, only short distance ultrasonics.

Blind spot detection is terrible on the 3. No one should be looking at the touchscreen when changing lanes. The audio alert comes on only in an imminent crash.

The best work around I’ve heard proposed is to have the blinker make a slightly different noise when there’s someone in your blindspot. This would give us advanced warning without being annoying. It could be toggled in settings for people who don’t like the idea. I wish someone could get Elon’s attention and promote this idea (it’s not mine, but it’s a great one).

Blind spot detection is terrible on the 3. No one should be looking at the touchscreen when changing lanes. The audio alert comes on only in an imminent crash.

The best work around I’ve heard proposed is to have the blinker make a slightly different noise when there’s someone in your blindspot. This would give us advanced warning without being annoying. It could be toggled in settings for people who don’t like the idea. I wish someone could get Elon’s attention and promote this idea (it’s not mine, but it’s a great one).

That's a good idea indeed. However, it's still a VISUAL confirmation from the camera, which can be blinded, rain splattered etc etc. RADAR in the rear bumper of my last car worked so much better than the camera-based setup in the Model 3 it's not even a comparison, and I REALLY miss the little light in the mirrors to let you know a car is there before you even think about lane changing. I've had my Model 3 change lane (when using AutoPilot as part of the FSD suite) when signaling, despite there being a car there. Having to take over and swerve back...that's scary stuff, let me tell you. Having a RADAR-based system would have been so much smarter.

But this isn't the Tesla way.

Reactions: ftlum
No, you're a (former) Audi owner who thinks Audi's are on par with BMW and Mercedes :) <- that's a troll

I like my P3D a lot but it doesn't compare to my BMW when it comes to luxury, ride quality, fit, finish, cabin noise, handling, etc. Handling is getting better with mods but OOTB it's not really even close.

However, as the thread is about a driver assistance feature, I would say yes @glide is trolling because in that area neither BMW, Audi, nor Mercedes are in the same league.

• Funny
Reactions: glide and dfwatt
No, you're a (former) Audi owner who thinks Audi's are on par with BMW and Mercedes :) <- that's a troll

I like my P3D a lot but it doesn't compare to my BMW when it comes to luxury, ride quality, fit, finish, cabin noise, handling, etc. Handling is getting better with mods but OOTB it's not really even close.

However, as the thread is about a driver assistance feature, I would say yes @glide is trolling because in that area neither BMW, Audi, nor Mercedes are in the same league.
This thread is not just about driver assistance features. That’s what you chose to focus on.

I don't know, I just had a cx5 rental with the same blind spot implementation and it was so conservative it beeped on every single lane change for the entire week I had it. If I could have, I would have turned it off. I dont feel I need it to beep when there is a car 4 car length away! I've only needed the warning once on the m3 and it turned the wheel away from my error...can't really complain about that. Basically, I think the beeping and lights are a false sense of security.

Or.....be a better version of you and stop making excuses why you can't adjust your mirrors the correct way to eliminate blind spots:

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

This guide was so helpful. I don’t know why no one taught me this. Thanks!

I truly believe that if everyone used their side mirrors this way, accidents would go down by 50%. The other 50% is made up of drunks, people texting, and just incredibly bad drivers, so it won't fix any of those.

Please spread the word because even though I use my mirrors correctly, I have many times had people change lanes into me because they don't. I always try to stay out of their blind spots, but it's impossible to never be in their blind spots when they don't use the mirrors correctly.

You can always tell quickly if someone has their mirrors set right. When you are passing them and you are at the side/rear of their car (the traditional blind spot for them), if you can't see their face in their side mirror, they can't see you, which means they don't use their side mirrors as side mirrors.

The technology is available to make blind spot detection useful. Both my 2019 Kia Sorrento and 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee have BSD that is accurate, safe, and useful. My 2020 Model 3 might as well not have it, for all the warning and attention getting features. And to suggest mirror adjustment is the fix is unacceptable since it obviously can be done technologically in a safe and useful way and mirror adjustment is a excuse method.

Didn't you learn in driver's ed how to adjust your mirrors to eliminate the blind-spot? Can't be that hard.

The technology is available to make blind spot detection useful. Both my 2019 Kia Sorrento and 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee have BSD that is accurate, safe, and useful. My 2020 Model 3 might as well not have it, for all the warning and attention getting features. And to suggest mirror adjustment is the fix is unacceptable since it obviously can be done technologically in a safe and useful way and mirror adjustment is a excuse method.

Why would you want a computer’s interpretation of what is in your blind spot when you could use your mirrors to see what is actually there at a glance??

Do you also think it’s inexcusable to have to turn on your headlights to see at night instead of having daylight 24 hrs a day?

Reactions: VQTRVA and Tron 3