Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

blind spot chime warning not beeping (concerns me)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
was driving home today, i signaled, was about to go into the next lane, but then i saw the car next to me flash red, i stayed in my lane, yet the chime warning didnt beep, is it only supposed to beep when your about to collide with another car in your blind spot? tesla really should imo proper blind spot warning, (meaning that when you signal, and the car is flashing red, it should beep and let you know hey dont change lanes.

software is 2019.28.3.1

Last edited:
Reactions: UnicornDriver
I personally don't want my car beeping at me the whole time...

I agree with this. I think it would be annoying if it actually chimed even when you aren't actively changing lanes. I'm not saying that the blindspot detection is great the way it is. If you are changing lanes to the left, you have to counter-intuitively look to the right to see the red lane/car marking on the screen. But I don't think a chime is the answer either.

makes sense, but in essance, it is supposed to help if a car is in the blind spot, but then again we have to use our eyes and senses to see if it's safe to proceed.

You expect to not have to look to change lanes? I look even when the car is doing it for me.

it's a "Collision Warning" not a "hey there is a car beside you" warning. IT will beep if you start to cross he lane. This is identical to the forward collision warning. That obviously does not beep at you every time there is a car in front of you and your car is in drive. It only beeps when you have to take immediate action to avoid a collision.

Imagine driving in any kind of traffic and the car making a noise when you put your blinker on... it would be non-stop.

You expect to not have to look to change lanes? I look even when the car is doing it for me.

it's a "Collision Warning" not a "hey there is a car beside you" warning. IT will beep if you start to cross he lane. This is identical to the forward collision warning. That obviously does not beep at you every time there is a car in front of you and your car is in drive. It only beeps when you have to take immediate action to avoid a collision.

Imagine driving in any kind of traffic and the car making a noise when you put your blinker on... it would be non-stop.
They could easily do this without making it annoying - just turn the click...click of the turn signal to a subtle ding-ding. Slightly different rhythm, and a noise just "dingy" enough for you to realize that there's something there without actually being annoying. And of course give people the option of disabling it if they like.

I have wanted such a feature for a while now. I have my mirrors set properly and always glance over my shoulder before making a lane change, but an extra layer of safety would be welcome. And I would much rather be warned when I signal my intent to change lanes and before actually starting my move, rather than when a collision is imminent, at which point it might be too late or, startled, I might overcorrect.