Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up collision avoidance / blind spot detection??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My last car had the typical blinking lights in the side view mirrors for blind spot detection. It did not help me much, if at all. I still almost crashed a few times because I got complacent/lazy thinking that indicator would take care of the work, and I ended up not seeing the light at all until it was almost too late. Ever since, I've just done things the old fashioned way--turn on the turn signal, look at the side mirror, and then look behind my shoulder.

My habits have not changed significantly with the Tesla, given that I'm still not quite used to looking at the center screen when changing lanes and seeing the warning there. But I don't think I will, or should, change them. At the end of the day, until that promised day when L5 autonomy truly will dawn, one still has to actually know how to drive properly, manually, both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road. Almost every mistake I've ever made ultimately boiled down to me not doing that in some capacity.

And if anything, the Tesla has made me more, not less, careful. Don't want to ruin my brand new baby!

Reactions: Gasaraki
So thinking about a different approach. Is there a sort of aftermarket blindspot alert which could be DIYed in a Model 3?

I wouldn't mind routing cables, installing sensors where they're supposed to go, swapping mirrors or adding yellow LEDs even on the inside next to the mirror. Doesn't even have to be hooked up to the signal stock, I'd be ok with the light just coming on every time there's a car in either blind spot.

From all this, if such a kit exists, most difficult would be properly calibrating it so it detects when the cars are actually in the blindspots... not impossible though.

There are quite a few options for aftermarket blind spot detectors if you Google it or look on EBay. I bought one but have yet to install it. First, I need to find the best source of switched 12 volt 10 amp power and then I need to remove the bumper cover to route the wiring for the two rear sensors. I removed the bumper cover previously to install a hitch for my bike rack (which came with a video showing how), so second time will be easier. You canS find reviews to help you select the right one. The simplest one I’ve seen has the sensors and the warning lights attached to the side mirrors. (Wish I had seen it first.)

For you disagrees, what specifically are you disagreeing with? My question? (How can you disagree with a question?)

My statement of fact?

Man up and state your case (as opposed to hide out behind a click).
I'm the same - both our posts are coming on 18months old but someone felt strongly enough for tagging a disagree but can't be quite be bothered to say why. Then again - I've seen folk on here do that to posts that are many years old, they're bored enough to read all the old stuff :D

I once was about to change lanes, I hit the blinker started turning my wheel and the car beeped at me and the screen had the red caution highlighting a car in my blind spot. It was pretty awesome even though I did catch myself right at the same time as the car loudly beeping at me.
Yeah. It’s totally human to break concentration at the wrong instant. And if you stop to think about it, it happens more than you realize. Most times you snap back your focus and don’t give it a second thought. It may not be coincidental that you caught yourself at the exact time the warning went off. The warning could have had an unconscious effect on why you caught yourself. In any event IMO the Tesla warning for this is far superior to a tiny light on the exterior mirror, especially the right one. I have this on my Ford and pay it no attention. Now all we need is rear cross traffic alert.

I wish Tesla would explore the camera for mirrors solution. I absolutely love it how Honda implemented it (and Audi for that matter):

I'd almost consider this a diy project challenge for the model 3.
real mirrors are still way better than cameras. mirrors are more clear and you can pivot around with your head to get a better angle/view. the only reason i would want camera is for aerodynamic

I would say this is the dumbest thread on here, but there's the one about TM3 being better than sex which I think will outshine any other dumb things to discuss.
This probably varies from one country to another, but all countries I've driven a car in there are rules for how much distance you should have to the car in front, generally 3-5 seconds. Because that's how long it typically takes to observe, analyse and react to a situation.
So with that in mind, you should put your blinker on 3-5 seconds before passing so you can give other drivers time to observe, analyse and react.
Those 3-5 seconds is more than enough time for the car and you to detect anyone in your blind spot.
Or to put it bluntly: the turn signal means "I am about to change lanes", not "I am changing lanes NOW!"

Reactions: Gasaraki
I don’t remember. Good to hear it should be beeping at me at least. I would have said yes, but not positive. I think I have lane departure warning off because I don’t want it beeping every time I forget, or fighting me to change lanes. But if it knows I’m crossing a line and there’s a car there I’d think that should trigger something. Maybe it’s my fault for turning off lane departure warning.
This lacking feature was a disappointment for me too, as well as Cross Traffic Detection, BUT, I have gotten used to checking my screen as I signal my way into the lane to the right. It DID actually beep at me recently as someone came up on me and swerved around me as I moved right. You could always just blame “AUTOPILOT”.

I've been through all the menus, and can't find anything for backup collision avoidance. I think every car I've owned for the past 15 years has had a warning chime when backing up if there's something in the way... from at least 5ft away. Very often cars come out of nowhere, and this has been a great feature in previous cars.

I tested this a few times today in a few parking lots, and intentionally backed up as cars were passing by behind me, and no warning sound, even when I got pretty close. Do you have to have a near collision??? Horrible.

Also, there *is* an option in the menu for "blind spot" monitoring, but it does nothing. My past few previous cars have had a loud audible warning if the turn signal was on and there was a car in the blind spot, or even a car behind the blind spot... I've also tested this, and intentionally put my turn signal on as cars were about to pass me, and no warning sound whatsoever!

For a car in this price range, and this technologically advanced, one would think these would be completely standard features!

Will there maybe be software updates for these issues??

The feature you are looking for is rear cross traffic alert, which Tesla does not have.

There's another thread that discusses this in detail, and I also explain why the current Teslas don't have it and will not have it even with software updates (doesn't have the radar sensors for it on the rear bumper). The best alternative is checking the rear camera view when backing up (others noted the view is a lot wider than in other cars so it's helpful).
Blind Spot Monitoring

Note for the audible warning, the current system does not warn you unless you were at risk of a collision, meaning just turning on your signal does not trigger a warning. You actually have to start moving into the lane for it to warn you. I mention that in my comment and also reference the manual where it mentions this.

Otherwise the only warning is some lines on the visualization (also mentioned in my comment with references to manual).

The blind spot monitoring however is something Tesla can easily improve in software, they just haven't (not sure where feedback can be given to them for them to do so, maybe someone needs to tweet Elon).

Proper blind-spot monitoring also requires rear radar, the same used for rear cross-traffic alert. If a car is approaching quickly, the camera is not going to catch it on time to warn you, so you pretty much have to assume you don't have blind-spot monitoring. If you're watching your 6 often, then it might. One thing that would immensely help is that when activating a turn signal, the appropriate blind-spot camera should automatically light up on the left side of the dash, where the car picture is. That should be relatively easy to do with a software update... but somebody has to tell Tesla that :). I test-drove a new 2021 Genesis G80 3.5T Prestige, and it had that feature, with the left side of the digital dash (speedo) with the left turn-signal, and the right (tach) with the right turn-signal. And it also has everything else, including mirror signal, audible alert, and steering correction. The rear cross-traffic alert is very important too, so Tesla needs to add rear radar to their expensive LR cars IMO.

Thanks guys for the input and info.:)

It's funny how much more tech this car has (by far) than any other car I've ever owned, and I've had some pretty expensive luxury cars...so I should just be happy, but these are pretty important safety features IMO.

Why even have "blind spot monitor" as an option in the menu though if it doesn't work??? I get that there's no radar, but I don't see the need for it...since there are cameras on the sides literally aiming backwards, why can't a software update at least have a warning sound when a car is approaching if my turn signal is on?

The same for backing up - they simply need a software update to teach the rear camera to identify cars and people, right? The forward collision avoidance, for example, works great! This has triggered numerous times flawlessly, and I only have it set to medium. The car ahead (sometimes pretty far ahead) turns red on the display and there's a loud warning chime if it thinks I'm headed for a collision. Why can't this same programming be applied to the rear and side cameras? :confused:

Last edited:
....The forward collision avoidance, for example, works great! This has triggered numerous times flawlessly, and I only have it set to medium. The car ahead (sometimes pretty far ahead) turns red on the display and there's a loud warning chime if it thinks I'm headed for a collision. Why can't this same programming be applied to the rear and side cameras? :confused:
Forward Collision Avoidance uses radar.

Also set your mirrors correctly to avoid blindspots. I haven't HAD a blind spot in any car in decades.

How to Set Rear‐View Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots: 6 Steps

Reactions: Gasaraki and Need
Proper blind-spot monitoring also requires rear radar, the same used for rear cross-traffic alert. If a car is approaching quickly, the camera is not going to catch it on time to warn you, so you pretty much have to assume you don't have blind-spot monitoring.
A car approaching would be in your mirrors (which you should be checking anyways). Blind spot monitor only monitors if there is a car in your blind spot (usually going roughly the same speed as you car). Having the rear radars won't change that. If you look at the diagrams linked, the rear radars are on the left and right and are at roughly 45 degree angles. A fast approaching car from far away will not be caught by those sensors either.

Why even have "blind spot monitor" as an option in the menu though if it doesn't work???
It does work, just that it warns against collision (you actually have to move your car toward the blind spot for it to warn you). That's why it's called "Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime". Others have tested, and it does work.

I get that there's no radar, but I don't see the need for it...since there are cameras on the sides literally aiming backwards, why can't a software update at least have a warning sound when a car is approaching if my turn signal is on?
They can do that, they just don't for some reason. The car is obviously able to detect things in its blind spot given it shows it in the visualization.

The same for backing up - they simply need a software update to teach the rear camera to identify cars and people, right? The forward collision avoidance, for example, works great! This has triggered numerous times flawlessly, and I only have it set to medium. The car ahead (sometimes pretty far ahead) turns red on the display and there's a loud warning chime if it thinks I'm headed for a collision. Why can't this same programming be applied to the rear and side cameras? :confused:
The rear facing side cameras would be blocked in parking, so can't do the same thing as rear cross traffic alert in cars with radar sensors. At most they can do a rear collision warning. They probably don't have as much development resources focused on the rear view as that is less important than the front views.

A car approaching would be in your mirrors (which you should be checking anyways). Blind spot monitor only monitors if there is a car in your blind spot (usually going roughly the same speed as you car). Having the rear radars won't change that. If you look at the diagrams linked, the rear radars are on the left and right and are at roughly 45 degree angles. A fast approaching car from far away will not be caught by those sensors either.

Then how is the hardware and software in these cars going to work as a robotaxi?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.