Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up collision avoidance / blind spot detection??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The blind spot implementation is horrible. The mirrors should be where the indicators are put like every other car, since that’s where you’re looking when changing lanes. Having to look at the other direction on the touchscreen makes no sense.

The audio alert only comes on when a crash is imminent. There’s no advanced warning. The best fix I read was to have your blinker make a somewhat different noise when you put it on and someone is in your blind spot. Save the big audio alert for the imminent crashes. This would give you advanced warning without being annoying.

As many have noted, the Tesla side mirrors for some people can’t be moved far enough to properly address your blind spots, even if you follow recommended mirror positioning.
If you use your indicator it will have red lines all over the MCU screen if someone is in your blind spot. Also it will yell at you if you then try and change lanes with an audible warning. If you departure warning on it also tries to encourage you not to change lanes. Having lane departure warning on forces you to stop forgetting to use your indicators for lane changes which is a nice side effect

Reactions: DR61 and robdavmil
So thinking about a different approach. Is there a sort of aftermarket blindspot alert which could be DIYed in a Model 3?

I wouldn't mind routing cables, installing sensors where they're supposed to go, swapping mirrors or adding yellow LEDs even on the inside next to the mirror. Doesn't even have to be hooked up to the signal stock, I'd be ok with the light just coming on every time there's a car in either blind spot.

From all this, if such a kit exists, most difficult would be properly calibrating it so it detects when the cars are actually in the blindspots... not impossible though.

yes, I thought the limited range of motion was just my imagination. Guess not. :(

Fair enough, but then the first solution is not adding lights to the side mirrors, but increasing the range at which the side mirrors operate. They side mirrors should definitely move enuf to work for drivers in all driver seat positions, including all-the-way back, & all-the-way forward. (The lights can be added for PUP.)

So I had a 10 hour trip back from SC, and here’s one major issue I eluded to...the screen does not show cars behind you correctly. I’ll add pictures later, but when an adjacent car first shows up on the screen it’s already too close. Maybe won’t physically hit it, but would be close. But on the screen it still looks like there’s room. Then, when the adjacent car on the screen is right at your rear bumper, it’s actually right at the split between the front and back seat!! This seems like a simple graphics fix and a safety issue. Yes, I need to look, but if you’re displaying things incorrectly you are opening yourself up to issues. Cars should show up earlier and correctly on the display. I’ll pick up my bat phone and talk to Elon about it :)

• Informative
Reactions: Yang_H
This has been discussed quite a few times already. For all practical purposes, the car does not have an intuitive blind spot alert system when driving without any NOAP or AP, let alone cross traffic alert. And with terribly small mirrors and weirdly shaped A pillars especially for tall people, the cabin visibility isn’t the best. Be extra cautious when backing out and changing lanes.

• Helpful
Reactions: cucubits
Since somebody else bumped this thread... a driver tried to run into me while I was passing them in their blind spot. I did my usual solution by getting closer to them so they could see me in their incorrectly aligned mirrors and they went back into their lane. They had the mirrors with the lights in them. Another driver that uses a lame system.

So I had a 10 hour trip back from SC, and here’s one major issue I eluded to...the screen does not show cars behind you correctly. I’ll add pictures later, but when an adjacent car first shows up on the screen it’s already too close. Maybe won’t physically hit it, but would be close. But on the screen it still looks like there’s room. Then, when the adjacent car on the screen is right at your rear bumper, it’s actually right at the split between the front and back seat!! This seems like a simple graphics fix and a safety issue. Yes, I need to look, but if you’re displaying things incorrectly you are opening yourself up to issues. Cars should show up earlier and correctly on the display. I’ll pick up my bat phone and talk to Elon about it :)

Did this get fixed in the latest update? I have the exact same issue with you. Maybe the calibration isn't right?

Our Audi has the little lights in the mirrors; subtle but easy to see. Don't require any action from the driver to light up - I like that

I agree it may require you to use a signal to get the cars on screen to go red; I've never seen it except when passing large trucks as if it thinks I will cut them off. Of all the vehicles least likely to be missed ;)

Yes. My Q7 has the blind spot indicator inboard of the mirror, on the housing itself, and I think that is a much better design

I'd love for the rear facing side camera to come on screen when I activate the turn signal.

Make it happen Elon!!

Reactions: Msjulie
Yes. My Q7 has the blind spot indicator inboard of the mirror, on the housing itself, and I think that is a much better design

I also like the audi system a lot but I do see an advantage for the ones with mirror lights. It adds to overall safety because other cars coming up in your blindspot can see it to.

When I drive past a car and I see his mirror blindspot light turn on, I like to believe there's a higher chance he notices me if he wants to change lanes. If there's no light in the mirror, I'm a bit more careful and ready to honk/start evasive moves.

I will post again. If you can put the drivers seat in the right position and set your mirrors to the AAA recommend position you will not have blind spots in the Model 3. I am still on only one warning after 6 months and probably 8,000 miles driving since the update. The description of the event is at the end of my post below.

I have learned an evasive maneuver that works well for me when someone tries to move into my lane. I move toward them or I brake. I never move away from them. When I move toward them I suddenly appear in their incorrectly set mirrors and they usually go back in their lane.

My one and only warning: Traffic was slowing down in my lane and I checked my mirrors to see a car approaching but with enough time for me to accelerate in the adjacent lane. It warned me of the impending conflict. This is exactly how it should work.

My 3 can’t reliably detect vehicles in adjacent lanes. The only borderline decent detection is vehicles right in front of the car. It will usually display vehicles to the left and right but they may pop in and out of existence, teleport into the next lane over or morph from a compact car into a semi and back.

In short: Despite 8 cameras, the 3’s vision (at least mine - I’m sure some will chime in how theirs is perfect) sucks right now and I would never rely on it. Not for blind spot detection and definitely not for self driving.
My M3 reliably displays vehicles ahead, behind and to the sides for 3 car lengths. If yours does not, take it in for service something is wrong.

Since somebody else bumped this thread... a driver tried to run into me while I was passing them in their blind spot. I did my usual solution by getting closer to them so they could see me in their incorrectly aligned mirrors and they went back into their lane. They had the mirrors with the lights in them. Another driver that uses a lame system.

Why were you passing in their blind spot?
Two things drive me nuts.

Slow drivers who fail to move out of fast lane (been told by few folks cuz far left lane is easiest to text etc, least amount attention needed).

fools that pass on the right repeatedly.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
Status
Not open for further replies.