Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad AP/TACC performance on dirty car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I have been that impressed with TACC performance in general (it's far too cautious when a car in front of you turns, usually bringing me to a complete halt, while at the same time driving full speed up to a stopped car then slamming on the brakes, etc) I wonder if it's even worse when the car is dirty (ie cameras are covered/obscured). I can tell the backup cam is significantly worse when it's covered in dirt, and wonder if this applies to other cameras and consequently effects system performance. Anyone else notice this?

Regarding the sudden stopping, your following distance is probably set really close. It's going to be a lot more jerky if you're giving it a smaller window to react in. It treats that following distance like a wall it cannot pass. Which is a contrast to humans that would just stop a little closer depending on context. Either way, you shouldn't really experience that condition on the highway much; where Autopilot is meant to be used.

Regarding the cameras and sensors, think of them like your eyes or a normal camera lens. If they're covered in dust/dirt/snow/mud, you're not going to see much of anything. Note, the manual covers this and other conditions like strong direct sunlight that can blind the cameras.

Reactions: Dana1
Yes, I tend to a quick wipe of the rear camera and side repeaters when I walk by when it's dirty. My stubby arms don't reach the center ones. I've always wondered if there is any sort of coating that could go on the cameras to repel dirt/water.