Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Based price in invoice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to be picking up a new model Y soon. but I am confused why invoice shows that base price is 34000, where as on the tesla website it shows as 47990, and rear wheel drive is 42990.

I am asking here to see if other tesla owners had similar invoice experience or is it just my tesla dealer manipulating something potentially in preparation to another price cut may be upcoming and so probably they don't need to honor that cut if I sign the agreement with another price and pick-up after price cut happens or something..

invoice.png

Solution
That’s just how Tesla breaks it down on the price sheet. Not sure why. But it has nothing to do with a price cut. You can think of the $34k as the price of the car body without the battery or motors.
I am going to be picking up a new model Y soon. but I am confused why invoice shows that base price is 34000, where as on the tesla website it shows as 47990,

it shows as 47990 directly on that invoice you have. Your invoice is 50990, and you have 2k for the 7 seat interior, and 1k for black and white interior. so, subtract 3k from 50,990, and you get 47,990. How its broken down on the invoice really doesnt matter to us as buyers.

Its likely that it matters to Teslas as far as "base price" computes in certain incentives, etc.

or is it just my tesla dealer manipulating something potentially in preparation to another price cut may be upcoming and so probably they don't need to honor that cut if I sign the agreement with another price and pick-up after price cut happens or something..

These are not franchises so its not "your tesla dealer".. they are all the same entity, Tesla itself, not franchise dealers. Also, thats not the way it works. If there is a price cut in between when you ORDER and when you pick up the car, you will be offered that price cut. If, however, you pick up the car and there is a price cut 5 days later or something, you are out of luck.

Upvote 0
yes thanks, Got it. Was aware that tesla matches the price reduction before it's picked up, but thought somehow they are trying to bypass it saying there is no reduction is base price, and I will be paying 13,990 just for long range anyways. But makes sense as you said, they won't cheapofy things like that. I think it's just my anxiety of being new Tesla owner 😂

Upvote 0
yes thanks, Got it. Was aware that tesla matches the price reduction before it's picked up, but thought somehow they are trying to bypass it saying there is no reduction is base price, and I will be paying 13,990 just for long range anyways. But makes sense as you said, they won't cheapofy things like that. I think it's just my anxiety of being new Tesla owner 😂
There’s really nothing about which to be worried. I’m also new to Tesla (though not to EVs) and every experience I’ve had so far is positive. I was expecting something awful but my purchasing experience was great and even when I had to take my car in for service it was fine (as was setting up the service appointment in app). All the Tesla employees with whom I have interacted were polite and helpful.

Upvote 0
The lower invoice price is a godsend for those of us whose license plate taxes are based on the car's price, or MSRP. My "MSRP" came in at $7,000 below what I actually paid, or approximately the base price before adding extras. My Value tax is now forever based on the lower amount.

I wonder if that number is lower so more of their cars will qualify for federal rebates. I doubt it, but I am grateful nonetheless.

Upvote 0