Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC01 changed to time-based which removed FUSC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I recently picked up a 2016 Model S for my parents with FUSC, however; upon transferring it got switched to pay as you go. We confirmed it with the original owner that on their account is a SC01 and confirmed in the history that it has never got in Tesla's hands. I called up Tesla and they told me at some point, the owner exchanged with Tesla to switch it to a time-based that ends in 6 years (which supposed to end in 2022). They insisted that on their side that SC01 also means a FUSC for a certain time period. They said the original invoice agreement is not enough proof and will not budge.

Has anyone experience something like this? Is this even salvageable?

I called up Tesla and they told me at some point, the owner exchanged with Tesla to switch it to a time-based that ends in 6 years (which supposed to end in 2022).

I dont have a model S (I have a 3 and Y) but I seem to remember Tesla offering people a discount off new Teslas if they would turn their FUSC in, or convert it to an end date version. My guess is that is likely what happened (meaning you need to address this with the Original Owner, if thats the case).

The question you need to ask the original owner is not " can you verify the car had SC01" but "Did you, at any point, convert your FUSC to time based to get a discount on a new Tesla?"

Like I said, I dont know, but I suspect they will ghost you on answering that question, since the car is yours now.

I dont have a model S (I have a 3 and Y) but I seem to remember Tesla offering people a discount off new Teslas if they would turn their FUSC in, or convert it to an end date version. My guess is that is likely what happened (meaning you need to address this with the Original Owner, if thats the case).

The question you need to ask the original owner is not " can you verify the car had SC01" but "Did you, at any point, convert your FUSC to time based to get a discount on a new Tesla?"

Like I said, I dont know, but I suspect they will ghost you on answering that question, since the car is yours now.

Here are some threads about this conversion offer to people:

To me, its "likely" the selller of the vehicle knew the status of the FUSC, and answered the specific questions asked "does this vehicle have SC01? "yes, it does", without providing additional detail.

Has anyone experience something like this? Is this even salvageable?
Your recourse is with the seller, who appears to have taken Tesla up on a recent end of quarter new car incentive to transfer free supercharging to a new car.

If they misrepresented the features of the car, your beef is with them, not Tesla.

IMG_9628.jpeg

So in addition to all this, the Tesla rep was flat out wrong when they said that SC01 was only valid for a fixed time. If the original owner hadn't taken advantage of the FUSC offer (per previous posts), then SC01 would have stayed with the car. It's kind of irrelevant for this particular situation, but it's kind of important that there's no time limit on SC01.

Bruce.

So in addition to all this, the Tesla rep was flat out wrong when they said that SC01 was only valid for a fixed time. If the original owner hadn't taken advantage of the FUSC offer (per previous posts), then SC01 would have stayed with the car. It's kind of irrelevant for this particular situation, but it's kind of important that there's no time limit on SC01.

Bruce.

I read what the OP said tesla said slightly differently (telephone game, I know, lol). I read it like the Tesla rep said:

" @Rukairi , the Code SC01 supercharging can refer to either unlimited supercharging, or, Time limited supercharging that expires after a set time frame".

That definitely could be giving them too much credit, though (lol).

Reactions: bmah
I appreciate everyone's responses and help with this situation! As expected from what jjrandorin said, they ended up ghosting me. I was not aware of that offer, and it seems like I have been shafted. Not quite the ideal outcome, but I guess I'll have to take the loss on this one.

It's odd to me that from the image that ucmndd posted that it expires on June 30th, and the free supercharging the owner showed me worked on July 18th. Tesla couldn't explain why it was free on that day.

Any suggestions to how I can check whether or not they took the deal? My friend is also currently looking for a 2016.5 with FUSC, and I do not want him to go through the same pain as I did.

You have their info; go after them. Have an attorney send a letter first. then take them to small claims court. Easy to get a judgment there. They likely won't show. Then get someone to chase their assets. Publish the judgment in the paper, if not already. Make sure the world knows their terrible character if all this is true.

Reactions: WyoDude and TLLMRRJ
You have their info; go after them. Have an attorney send a letter first. then take them to small claims court. Easy to get a judgment there. They likely won't show. Then get someone to chase their assets. Publish the judgment in the paper, if not already. Make sure the world knows their terrible character if all this is true.
Slow your roll, was the seller last name Salamanca?

I appreciate everyone's responses and help with this situation! As expected from what jjrandorin said, they ended up ghosting me. I was not aware of that offer, and it seems like I have been shafted.

If it makes you feel better.... the value of FUSC is fairly small in the grand scheme of things.

We've road tripped all over the country over the last 3 years, including towing a trailer, and I estimate we've saved about $2k in Supercharging fees.

It's really not as grand as it sounds to a degree...depending on what it costs to charge at home, I guess.

But in any case, that's a wonderful car and I hope it doesn't spoil your parents' enjoyment of the vehicle!

Reactions: QUBO and Rukairi
If it makes you feel better.... the value of FUSC is fairly small in the grand scheme of things.

We've road tripped all over the country over the last 3 years, including towing a trailer, and I estimate we've saved about $2k in Supercharging fees.

It's really not as grand as it sounds to a degree...depending on what it costs to charge at home, I guess.

But in any case, that's a wonderful car and I hope it doesn't spoil your parents' enjoyment of the vehicle!
It does make me feel better! Thank you! In the end, I do think we got a steal despite the flaws and of course this situation. My mom is the most bummed out and wanted me to either go after them or continue fighting to get FUSC added back. My dad loves the car but refuses to install a level 2 charger as he is stuck in the ICE mindset that the only way to put gas into it is to supercharge it.

Originally, they were going for a $50k Lexus which is going to be a lot in payments and I'm happy to steer them away from that.

Reactions: pilotSteve
My dad loves the car but refuses to install a level 2 charger as he is stuck in the ICE mindset that the only way to put gas into it is to supercharge it.

This is a bit strange....

Ask your dad "if you could install a gas pump in your garage for your gas car, so that it would be automatically filled up every night, would you?"

Definitely press the issue of installing a level 2 charger at their house. It's typically 1/4th the price of Supercharging and you simply can't beat the convenience of leaving home with a full battery every day. Plus, an old S is going to charge pretty slowly, so if they Supercharge exclusively, they'll end up wasting a lot of time and not enjoying the car as much.

My guess is (and its just a guess, because I obviously wasnt there), for the Dad, part of the sales pitch that made him say "yes" to this vehicle choice was "and you can fuel it for free!" (FUSC). Now, he is being asked to pivot from "Fuel is Free!" to "here is how you charge it up at home".

I personally believe charging at home is even better than FUSC, but I also dont have a vehicle with FUSC. As convenient as charging at home is, if I could get free fuel, I would go and supercharge, at least sometimes.

My mom is the most bummed out and wanted me to either go after them or continue fighting to get FUSC added back.

There isnt going to be any going after Tesla for this, since it does not appear they did anything wrong. its either go after the Seller (which may not be cut and dried, depending on what was exactly represented in the sale), or let it go.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
It does make me feel better! Thank you! In the end, I do think we got a steal despite the flaws and of course this situation. My mom is the most bummed out and wanted me to either go after them or continue fighting to get FUSC added back. My dad loves the car but refuses to install a level 2 charger as he is stuck in the ICE mindset that the only way to put gas into it is to supercharge it.

Originally, they were going for a $50k Lexus which is going to be a lot in payments and I'm happy to steer them away from that.

Oh boy. You are never going to hear the end of it from dad if he gets hit with a $20K HV battery or $6K Drive Unit out of warranty replacement. How much longer is the warranty?

Reactions: jjrandorin

Bruce.
Does the SC01 code not change to something else like SC05 or SC04 if/when the previous owner turns it to a time-limited option? ie- If I can confirm that a vehicle has SC01, is that not enough to know that it will be there for the lifetime of the vehicle?