Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic M3 vs P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’ve been considering a Base model 3 with no options except towbar.

A friend is just trading in his Model S P90DL, fully loaded with just about every option, September 16, under 15k miles

The towbar was for bikes which can either go in or on roof of the model S.

Price is almost identical- just under £40k for the 3, just over for the S

The model S has a couple downsides:-
- think it is AP1. As it stands today is there a lot of difference?
- It will have only one year warranty (presume this can transfer). I seen mention of an Allianz extended warranty, unsure if I can add this?

Size of the S is not an issue- better if anything. I’ve not seen a 3 in flesh yet to see if I like the interior better. I get free Superchargering and premium internet for life with the S.

My gut feeling is go for the S and at worst I can sell it before it’s 4 years old. I’m presuming depreciation won’t be that bad?

Any thoughts?

Hi Chris.

I have a 2016 90D and I keep an eye on tesla-info.com - that looks a bargain.

By 2016 the car interiors had improved, 2014 and earlier cars were less well built, more rattles.

AP1 still works, it’s fine for me. I tend to use AP for cruising on empty roads or in traffic queues; on busy motorways I prefer the control of my own steering.

Plus the auto wipers work, which the AP2 owners still moan about!

The older car will still have all the latest updates which make it a modern car, eg PIN to drive, dog mode, chess, easy entry, all of which have been added since the car was new.

I haven’t reached the stage of needing an extended warranty so cannot comment.

Regards, Tony

Reactions: Fullerene
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Hadn’t heard of tesla-info- sounds like the model S is a good price especially as it’s fully loaded and low mileage. You don’t usually get a lot back on extras- but they sell better and dealers usually suck them up.

I've no doubt dealer would put it over £50k, but they would also extend warranty.

It’s a bit harder to fund than the model3 as I can’t get the Scottish interest free loan on second hand- hoping I can work that bit out.
I’ve also got to sell a 3 year old BMW 640d- maybe not that easy to sell privately.

That said, all going well it sounds like I might be a Tesla owner in a couple of weeks!

Hi,

I’ve been considering a Base model 3 with no options except towbar.

A friend is just trading in his Model S P90DL, fully loaded with just about every option, September 16, under 15k miles

The towbar was for bikes which can either go in or on roof of the model S.

Price is almost identical- just under £40k for the 3, just over for the S

The model S has a couple downsides:-
- think it is AP1. As it stands today is there a lot of difference?
- It will have only one year warranty (presume this can transfer). I seen mention of an Allianz extended warranty, unsure if I can add this?

Size of the S is not an issue- better if anything. I’ve not seen a 3 in flesh yet to see if I like the interior better. I get free Superchargering and premium internet for life with the S.

My gut feeling is go for the S and at worst I can sell it before it’s 4 years old. I’m presuming depreciation won’t be that bad?

Any thoughts?

Well if you get it for 40k-45k it’s worth it, Tesla sell them used for around 53k+ but that usually comes with a 4 year warranty.

think it is AP1. As it stands today is there a lot of difference?

I don't think so. If you use AP on Dual Carriageway and bumper-to-bumper crawling traffic then there are a few this-and-that differences. AP2 probably better overall but basically just hair-splitting. If you want to use it on single track country roads then, yeah, AP2 may well achieve that in the lifetime of the vehicle ... but until then its a hair-raising test ride

AP1 can read speed limits though, including gantry ones. That is definitely a benefit over AP2

AP2 NOA can change lanes by itself, and no doubt more to come, but signal-to-change lanes is fine - doesn't work 100% of the time though. AP1 hugely reduces "driver-loading" on long journeys, I arrive far more refreshed than in the days of just TACC

Size of the S is not an issue- better if anything

S is vast, loads of cargo-space. The 3 has a boot, rather than hatchback, so although space is pretty good it is also "a bit awkward"

The S is a lot quieter than a 3 (not that the 3 is bad ...just the S is better)

premium internet for life with the S

Is that right? I thought there was a time limit. Either way, it will be free for "some years"

I’m presuming depreciation won’t be that bad?

The S has had most of its depreciation already ... the 3 is going to get "initial new car hit" ... except that being one of the first will mean you will be moving it on when there won't be a lot of other 2nd hand ones available, which I think will help a bit.

Reactions: Rooster6655
The picture of free premium connectivity for life seem a bit confused- this seems to indicate 4 years but not sure if Tesla has actually downgraded earlier cars yet?
https://electrek.co/2018/06/23/tesl...ernet-features/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I get the S, enjoy the toys- then if I want to swap to a 3 I can in the next year with little loss or risk.
By that time the ID3 and others will also be out- so much more choice.

The hatchback will be very useful. It’s electric bikes I have so roof carriers are at weight limit. Lack of EU tow bar is a pain- so best option is inside. Fine for mine, partners will be challenging as it’s upright Dutch style!

Oops... I swore on a Tesla forum and mentioned the ID3 word!

It will be good to have more options- looking forward to seeing model Y as well but sounds like it will be 2021 for UK.

I’m lucky this time having a friend who can pass his trade in S at value, realistically next car will probably be sub £40k.

The S does have free charging for life- probably worth a few hundred a year. There is a supercharger opening close by at Eurocentral- being tight it’s tempting to use it a lot- but that seems likely to play havoc with battery life.

I swore on a Tesla forum and mentioned the ID3 word!

:) Personally: I haven't forgotten about DieselGate, and having been shafted nor will I for the rest of my lifetime

I don't think anything, other than Tesla, is viable if you drive out of range, even if "not all that often", until 3rd party charging is sorted.

And I'm not sure that "sorted" is looking like going well. My definition would be something like:
  • Plug-in & walk-away
  • Zero compatibility problems
    • A good proportion of iPaces struggle to charge at most Ecotricity stalls. Some iPaces have no problem, most of the time. Bizarre.
    • Model-3 has had trouble at some 3rd party CSS sites (n Norway ... home to a properly thought through and supported "EV chargers everywhere" solution)
  • Almost zero faults
    • I've had a couple of occasions where a Supercharger stall ran slow, I just moved to another stall
    • I've had very high percentage of 3rd party sites where either: all stalls were out-of-order; APP didn't work; Support could not initiate a charge (despite them expecting that they could)
  • Charge at 150+kW
    • Only ones I know of, currently in UK, are 2 or 3 Ionity sites
  • Very very rare for all stalls full (at a given site)
    • I've had that once (at Superchargers) in three years
    • 3rd party sites with 4 or less stalls are going to be frequently occupied
    • 3rd party chargers accommodate slow-charging, older, cars - so dwell-time much longer than Tesla
  • APP to tell you if stalls full, and if so where is nearest alternative (and show occupancy for that too)
    • Including all sites and occupancy for all 3rd party players ... is that likely to ever? happen?
  • Mercedes might be the answer
    • "Mercedes Me" allow plug-in & walk-away at all 3rd party charger sin Europe (well .. their PR stuff says something like that, even if not ALL but MOST/MANY that's pretty good)
Ionity rolling out 4-or-6 stalls per site. Tesla hasn't rolled out a 6 stall site in UK since 2015 ...

If there are lots of players then that's fine because there will be another vendor locally ... but that's only any good if there is a single APP that tells you occupancy at all those sites.

I had the same thoughts as you. However the only model S that were available in my price range were very high mileage and when I spoke to an owner, he mentioned "drivers", so not sure if the car was privately used. No superchargers up here in Aberdeenshire, but we do drive a lot to Dundee, Glasgow and Leeds so free charging would be useful. We have opted for the model 3, SR+ but with the waiting game I feel we should probably have kept looking for the right second hand S.

Reactions: WannabeOwner