Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Conditioning in HOT Climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve spent 7 years with Teslas in a very hot interior California climate and have seen zero evidence of the car doing any active battery cooling when the car is parked/off. Plugged in or not.
Sometimes I hear the fans when the car is parked and cabin overheat protection is off. It seems like something is being cooled and I can only assume it is the battery. Are you monitoring the battery temperature with a scanner?

Sometimes I hear the fans when the car is parked and cabin overheat protection is off. It seems like something is being cooled and I can only assume it is the battery. Are you monitoring the battery temperature with a scanner?
This is pretty common after driving, and especially after longer supercharging sessions to higher SOC.

But that's different than what is being discussed here, which is an unused car heating up to the point where the car tries to cool the battery down.

My 2014 Chevy Volt would actively cool/heat the battery when plugged in.

Watching Scan My Tesla, the Model 3 LR does not heat or cool the battery when its off, regardless if it is plugged in or not.

Ive even parked it with the battery at 114 degrees F, and it will still go to sleep and not cool the battery. The targets appear to be only while vehicle is on.

Reactions: ucmndd
Cabin Overheat protection has no impact on the battery of the vehicle. Just cools the cabin in the case of forgotten pets/children in the cabin.
Edit: Only impact to the battery is the depletion of some energy to run the COP system.
The battery is between the cabin and the outside air. The cabin is always far hotter than the outside air if parked in the sun, so that is the main source of heat when the car is not driven. If there is no active cooling of the battery when the car is parked then cabin overheat protection is the only method that can be used to keep the batteries cooler.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
The battery is between the cabin and the outside air. The cabin is always far hotter than the outside air if parked in the sun, so that is the main source of heat when the car is not driven. If there is no active cooling of the battery when the car is parked then cabin overheat protection is the only method that can be used to keep the batteries cooler.
Cabin Overheat Protection cools the cabin to <100, this is not going to have any impact to cool the battery, sorry it's just not going to have a practical impact.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
If I am thinking about this correctly, using the energy to cool the cabin might actually heat up the batteries.