Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Hot Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all,
We're going on holidays for a month in February and I was considering setting charge limit (MYLR with LNMC battery (I think)) to 50-60% and leaving it plugged in to our Tesla wall charger for the duration.

Firstly, is that the best option?

Secondly, our garage faces west and gets very hot in the afternoons. I've had the garage door insulated and it helped a bit but it still gets very warm. If the car is plugged in (or not), will the battery management system keep the battery at the correct temperature. I've read that heat isn't good for Li batteries and will degrade them quickly. Thanks boys (and girls).

Morning all,
We're going on holidays for a month in February and I was considering setting charge limit (MYLR with LNMC battery (I think)) to 50-60% and leaving it plugged in to our Tesla wall charger for the duration.

Firstly, is that the best option?

Secondly, our garage faces west and gets very hot in the afternoons. I've had the garage door insulated and it helped a bit but it still gets very warm. If the car is plugged in (or not), will the battery management system keep the battery at the correct temperature. I've read that heat isn't good for Li batteries and will degrade them quickly. Thanks boys (and girls).
As long as you plug in, you're fine:

1) as long as your limit is not "trip" setting but "daily", you are fine. In your example of 50 or 60..., they're all within "daily" so you are fine.

2) your battery temperature is automatically and actively optimized regardless of hot/cold room temperature as long as it has enough energy to do its job. Thus, just plug in.

Last edited:
As long as you plug in, you're fine:

1) as long as your limit is not "trip" setting but "daily", you are fine. In your example of 50 or 60..., they're all within "daily" so you are fine.

2) your battery temperature is automatically and actively optimized regardless of hot/cold room temperature as long as it has enough energy to do it's job. Thus, just plug in.
THANK YOU! That is exactly the answer I expected (and hoped for).

50% is better

will the battery management system keep the battery at the correct temperature
2) your battery temperature is automatically and actively optimized regardless of hot/cold room temperature as long as it has enough energy to do its job. Thus, just plug in.
Are we sure about this? - that the BMS keeps the battery at the optimal temp throughout the period it is plugged in?
@AAKEE - would you like to contribute here?.

Yes it is and it's a flat metal roof but our problem is that our body corporate won't allow solar panels to be installed if they can be seen from the street,
I'm surprised your BC even allowed you to have an EV and charge it in your garage.
Most of them are not very open minded (as can be seen by the solar panel thing).

I saw a post the other day where a BC denied a request to install a 32a outlet in a garage for a charger because "There is world wide evidence that electric vehicles are a potential bomb".

Yes it is and it's a flat metal roof but our problem is that our body corporate won't allow solar panels to be installed if they can be seen from the street,

I don’t know what the rules are in QLD, but in NSW there is a State Planning instrument called “SEPP (Transport and Infrastructure) 2021” that overrides all local council rules. That instruments makes installation of rooftop solar in a residential area an exempt development provided some simple rules are observed, none of which are onerous or absurd.

In particular, it says that rooftop solar can be installed on any roof even if it can be seen from the street. The only constraint is that if the property is in a heritage conservation area, solar panels cannot be installed (as an exempt development) on any roof plane facing a street which adjoins the property boundary.

So that means if you can convince the Owners Corporation to install rooftop solar, you do not further need to get Council permission (at least in NSW). If nothing else, this instrument makes it clear that having solar panels visible from the street is not considered a valid reason for refusal (except in a heritage conservation area).

I used the predecessor of this instrument to install my solar panels after the local council (erroneously) refused them on heritage grounds. Turns out they did not have the power to do so, since my panels were not on the roof plane facing the street at the front.

Unless your roof is below eye level, have you considered installing panels near flat. Not as efficient in winter when you dont make much energy anyway, but a significant amount more efficient in summer as the sun is near right angles.

Reactions: Power Hungry
I'm surprised your BC even allowed you to have an EV and charge it in your garage.
Most of them are not very open minded (as can be seen by the solar panel thing).

I saw a post the other day where a BC denied a request to install a 32a outlet in a garage for a charger because "There is world wide evidence that electric vehicles are a potential bomb".
We have a standalone house on a golf course. I am the Body Corporate chairman so I'm in a difficult position. Another potential issue is stray golf balls. On windy days we can get bombarded. I'm pushing 79 years of age and I've held off solar in any case because I might not outlast the payback period. LOL 😁😂

We have a standalone house on a golf course. I am the Body Corporate chairman so I'm in a difficult position. Another potential issue is stray golf balls. On windy days we can get bombarded. I'm pushing 79 years of age and I've held off solar in any case because I might not outlast the payback period. LOL 😁😂
According to the attached article, the effects of stray golf balls on solar panels may not necessarily be an issue, depending on the location of your house and the distance from tee off points. I‘m guessing windy days carrying balls onto your roof would approach at a more oblique angle which are less likely to do damage. Just food for thought.
As to payback periods, reducing your carbon footprint has a long lasting payback to your children and grandchildren.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
I'm pushing 79 years of age and I've held off solar in any case because I might not outlast the payback period. LOL 😁😂

You don’t need the payback period to be completed before you leave this mortal coil. Adding solar panels is a capital improvement, increasing the value of your home, enabling you to bring forward the “payback period” when you sell.